Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Boy layouts!!! Help!!!        (Topic#1500835)
kaye222
Governor
kaye222

Hi....
I have been scrapping here for some time now....and as some of you know i am usually doing my dd's because i love love love the flowers! However, I do have two sons and i want to do their photos as well....so here is my question??

To all of you ladies who have sons.....Help! How do you make such beautiful lo's with NO flowers.....my sons are teens and well it seems like it can be gotten away with when they are little but not so much when they are older? So any advice would be helpful....when it comes to this area im so a newbie!
Thanks ladies......

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to kaye222

I found great shaped paper clips in the offie supply area at Target. They are metalic or bright colors. They have swirls, squaresand triangles. My son is 19 and I use these with ribon knotted on them just like I use flowers on my DD pages

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to melissadam

I have 1 boy and another boy on the way. My gallery has many boy layouts in it if you want to check it out. There are tons of things to use without having to use flowers.

New Kid On the Block
In response to melissadam

I have 3 boys and no girls so I always do boy pages... I use to hate flowers since I had no girls...but now I use the flowers on my cards... Most of my boy pages involve cool boy colors like rusts/browns/blues/greens /burnt oranges.... I actually like the earth tone colors more than anything else... But I add Chipboard, Metal embellishments, bubble stickers, arrows... Things of that nature... I tried flowers once on one of the boys pages and they freaked out... There are so many things you could add (besides flowers)... I hope this helps.. Good Luck!

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 04-07-09 11:34 AM
In response to buggaboo69

You can use stamps, stitching and buttons, I have 2 boys and those are my favorite things to use on their LOs!!!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to naf

I have 3 boys, no girls. So my pages are typically about guys. It's been tough to find stuff that works well on boys pages... until just recently. Some companies have come out with lines that work will with guy pages.

Even though my guys are not little anymore, I still use flowers, stickles and glitter on their pages sometimes. Just have to do so in different ways than the really elegant fluffy girl pages.

Other good things for guy pages are stamps, metal, ripped, crumbled, distressing, stitching, grid, mesh, ...... texture and shapes.

Have fun with it!

Now if only I could do those elegant fluffy girl pages... I'm not so good at those!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-07-09 12:32 PM
In response to scrappycath

I have two boys and I use flowers... I use flowers on everything! I mean what is more manly that a black or brown flower? I use a lot of metal, chipboard, eyelets and brads, dark ribbon/fiber and STICKLES! Use it everywhere...
I ave found that there is no reason not to... just use the right colors for the LO and no matter what you do will look great! I have TONS of LOs in my gallery if anyone is interested!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to ScrappinPassion

I like to print stuff and mount it on chipboard - really there is no limit that way. So if your son is into skateboarding just google skateboarding (when on the image tab) and print an image out and mount it on chipboard.

I love stars too for boys layouts. Circles too.

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to peenut_23

For boys Home Depot has some great inspiration....drywall tape, chain, sprockets, gears, think metal.....also sports symbols and distressing also adds a great masculine touch. Tim Holtz has some great embellies, then there's stars and buttons.

Here are some suggestions......
Products Referenced in This Post:

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Patti Sylvia

I only have one boy so most of my layouts are boyish. I tend to use lots of swirls, stars, circles, brads, and recently stitching. I may also throw in a ribbon or two if it doesn't make the layout too girly. Or if there are females (ie. grandma, teachers, etc) in the pictures wtih my son, I will take advantage of that and add a ribbon or flower or some other feminine touch. HTH!

Veteran
In response to kaye222

I have 3 boys aged under 9 and I use flowers on there layouts and lace and ribbon. Dont be afraid to use embellishments just choose the colours that are more boyish. Check out my gallery for ideas. You can also use ripped edges on paper and zips, buttons and inking too

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to radar101

i have 4 boys...i use grungeboard, lots of inking/ditressing, ripped paper, stamps, thread/ribbon, tags, brads and buttons. but really, i think it's more about the colors and the overall feel of the layout than having actual "boy" embellishments. i have found a lot of the Basic Grey paper lends itself to boy layouts!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to hodgepodge722

There was a recent challenge (may still be going on) that was all about "boy" layouts. You should check it out for ideas. Some pretty good stuff there.

I'm a mom of 2 boys. One would die if I put a flower on a page with him on it.

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to ncyankee

I didn't read all the responses so I apologize if this is a repeat... but it depends on what your sons like and what the pictures are depicting. I did a mini layout of my boyfriend who is a sport's nut. 99 percent of the pictures I have of him, he's in some sort of uniform playing some sort of sport. So, his are easy. Do they like to do outdoor activities? You can use leaves, fish, deer, patterned paper with 3D Dots that are more manly... I would say first check out the pictures you want to use first and then go from there. Good luck!

melilou
Guru
melilou
In response to ScrappE

star I've heard a lot of people refer to stars as "boy flowers" and they really do work well. I got the fiskers star punches for Christmas and love the versatility of them with patterned paper . Other good ideas are gears, and shapes like circles etc... They do a good job of replacing flowers in sketches.

Gel-a-tins have a great star stamp collection, as well as gears and circles, if you can find them.

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to melilou

thank you everyone for all of your great ideas!!!I appreciate it very much!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to kaye222

I have a hard time doing boy lo's too. It seems like all of mine are simple. I'm trying to experiment with buttons and paperclips more, so thanks also for all your ideas

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to StarsNSparkles

My gallery is full of boy layouts, as I only have 2 boys! Take a look if you want!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to JayAndXansMom

I have gotten to where when I use flowers it feels weird. Here are a few of my favorite "boyish" ones.

Alex By Richelle

Bad to the Bone By Richelle

imagination By Richelle

Spiderman By Richelle

My watch says... By Richelle

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to Richelle

WOW!!! They are all awesome! Thx for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics