Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Adhesive 101?        (Topic#1500859)
tmgarren
Idol
tmgarren

Okay, the other adhesive thread got me thinking about this and I wanted a little input. Should you use different types of adhesive for different things you put on a lo? For example, an adhesive for photos, another one for cardstock, another one for metal embellies, and another for flowers? If you do, what do you use for each? The only thing I really know about adhesive so far is get acid free. Thanks for your help!

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to tmgarren

I think it's a good idea to have different kinds of adhesives on hand, as some don't work well on certain kinds of material.

For paper and photos, I use a tape runner. Usually Adtech from Wal-Mart, but I hope to buy an ATG gun soon.

For metal and felt, I use a liquid glue. Normally Scotch brand. It's acid free.

For flowers and buttons, I use Glue Dots .

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to JayAndXansMom

I use Tombo w tape runner for pics and ribbon... xyron for adding PP and CS... Glue Dots for buttons, flowers and chipboard pieces and liquid adhesive for fibers. So yes I definitely use different types of adhesives for different things.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to melissadam

For ribbon I sometimes use my xyron X, staples or Glue Dots ..just depends..

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to JayAndXansMom

Different adhesives for different things.

I mainly use my ATG for most everything but it's not great for little things like rhinestones, sequins, die cut letters. For those I use a glue pen or Glue Dots .

I also use xyron refills without the machines to make stickers.

creativesoul_in_WI
Governor
creativesoul_in_WI
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Gosh I use several different kinds of adhesive. I use an xyron X, Glue Dots , 3L Scrapbook Adhesive, Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive, Herma Dots repositionable tape runner, Sakura Quickie Glue pen

Edited by creativesoul_in_OH on 04-07-09 05:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
Different adhesives for different things.

I mainly use my ATG for most everything but it's not great for little things like rhinestones, sequins, die cut letters. For those I use a glue pen or Glue Dots .

ditto everything Vivian said,,,,except I do use the machine, I think it's easier,,,,

Holly

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn
In response to CommaHolly

I have always been on the quest for the perfect adhesive and now realize it takes more than one kind....

Scotch ATG gun for zippy gluing most things with paper involved...

Glue Dots , love em, the stronger the better,Zots...

xyron for when I get really aggravated and want to glue lots of things that are BIG...

see what I mean?

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to CommaHolly

I use:
-mounting squares for photos
-mounting tape (where you tear off the length you need) for attaching large pieces of patterned paper to backing cardstock
-fine-tip glue pen or my xyron 150 for cut-out letters, small die cuts, punches
- Glue Dots for chipboard, lumpy things
-I usually attach flowers and tags with brads
-I use a tape or glue runner if I have a lot of small photos or squares of paper to stick down because it's faster
-I have several other specialized adhesives (photo corners, vellum tape, etc) but these are the ones I use the most. Seems like a lot, and the photo mounting squares are pretty old-school, but it works for me

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH

Ooooh, I want to do that! Anything special I should know or special refills I should be looking for?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to CarrieBH

DEFINITELY. I use different adhesives for different things and these are my "can't live withouts":

PAPER: Tombo w Mono Multi Liquid (ONLY the green bottle)

VELLUM: Creative Imaginations Spray Adhesive

PHOTOS: Hermafix tabs or GlueGlider Pro

CHUNKY STUFF (buttons, charms...): Glue Dots

And I have at least 30 other adhesives -- brands and different kinds--but b/c of my business I do a lot of testing.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to scraperfect

I use different kinds of adhesive depending on what I need the adhesive for. Paper, cardstock, photos, I use a tape runner. I have the Glue Glider that I usually use, but I also have a Tombo w and a 3L runner. I prefer the tape runners and keep photo splits and a Herma Vario dispenser as backup.

For my wordbooks, I use Zip Dry to adhere the paper to the chipboard as it doesn't buckle or pucker when it dries. For die cut letters and shapes from my Cricut or Cuttlebug I use my xyron 250. If it won't fit in the 250, then I use Zip Dry or a tape runner.

For metal and acrylic I use Glossy Accents. For flowers, I use Glue Dots , and depending on how big the metal or acrylic is, I may use Glue Dots on that, too. For some of the bling I use (most of my bling is in the form of glitter or Stickles) I use the Glossy Accents or Glue Dots . If I want to glitter a chipboard or cardstock letter, I run it through the xyron backwards so the adhesive is on the front. Glitter it, then seal it with Glossy Accents.

I hope this helps! I have collected two whole drawers' worth of adhesives and refills. I'm a midnight-scrapper, so I can't always just run out and get a refill when I run out. I work the night shift and I unwind after work with a little scrappin' and craftin'.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to CarrieBH

• CarrieBH Said:

Ooooh, I want to do that! Anything special I should know or special refills I should be looking for?

Machineless xyron Refills. By Vivian Loves BLING

Hope this helps.

tmgarren
Idol
tmgarren

WOW! I have a lot of research to do! Thanks everyone for your help!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia

• CarrieBH Said:

Machineless xyron Refills. By Vivian Loves BLING

Hope this helps.

I'm still trying to figure out how you do that! I've read your blog several times. I've got a 250 refill that broke in my machine, but there's too much left on the roll to just throw it away. So I kept it and I'm trying to use it without the machine.

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

Wow! you guys are so crafty!!! I would never have thought to use the refills without the machine! Very interesting idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Thaiti30

Way cheaper with the xyron machines and takes up way less room in your space or bag/tote.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Also it's easier to adhere the entire backside of piece of paper then Sizzix/Cuttlebug it.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to tmgarren

ATG gun for most things; xyron for large areas/vellum; Glue Dots for things with dimension

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup

Also it's easier to adhere the entire backside of piece of paper then Sizzix/Cuttlebug it.

What a great idea! And it's actually something I might be able to do without adhering myself to the table or my Cricut! (maybe I shouldn't speak so soon....)

This is SO helpful, thanks to everyone who replied in this thread!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics