Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: 12x12 D-ring albums        (Topic#1501127)
scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

So...who uses these and what do you like about them? I'm a post-bound girl, but I'm considering a D-ring album. What are the pros/cons of D-rings vs. post-bound? I know it's easier to move things around in D-rings. Can you fit more pages in the D-ring albums? Do the rings stay tight when closed so the pages don't catch? (I'm thinking how the cheapy binders always irritated me in school.) Also, what brands of D-rings do you like?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scraprabbit

I bought a Hiller, and I'm considering switching more of mine....I like the Hiller, and the KMA. TONS more pages fit, and so far, my rings are tight...

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-10-09 04:38 PM
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I use the American Crafts brand. I absolutely love them! Yes, they hold lots more pages than a regular post-bound album. I'd say I can get more than twice the amount in them than I can in a post-bound album. The rings do stay closed tight. You can fit all different size pages in a 12X12 album, too.

The only (small) con to using them is that your pages won't line up side-by-side like they do in a post-bound. This would only most likely bother you if you do a lot of double-page layouts. I do a few double-pagers, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I highly recommend them!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 04-10-09 06:09 PM

I mostly have mm d rings. I think I have 1 American Crafts one. O like that it is so easy to rearrange and put in more pages. I know that the pages not being snugged up to each other bothers some people who do 2 page layouts but it doesnt bother me1

MommyMarci
Queen
MommyMarci
In response to Hev

I like that they do a much better job with bulky pages. I haven't tried it, but I've heard if you are bothered by the pages not being snug against each other on a 2-page layout that you can staple or otherwise attach them to each other with no problems. I am pretty visual so I'd have to see it before I really "get" how to do it, otherwise there are a couple I'd have tried it on.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to MommyMarci

I love the American Crafts d-ring binders for a couple reasons

1. You can decorate the cover as you wish
2. You can mix page sizes in 1 album which makes for a very interesting album.

You can see one I altered on my blog (link in my siggy) it is my idea binder

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-10-09 08:15 PM
In response to MommyMarci

Ladies, thank you for all the info... I had thought about using these, but was never sure!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to ScrappinPassion

I use the same kind as Ami G up there and I really like it. The pages lay perfectly flat in it instead of curling over that spine thingy, which was a problem I had with several of the postbound albums I tried. I guess it wasn't a problem, I just didn't like it. I posted a question on here about it and later found out it's normal and mostly me just being anal about it lol. The lady at the store where I bought it (the 3 ring) said the rings are made so the pages don't catch & no problems so far.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to AmyWho

I wondered how that turned out for you Amesl,,,I remember that thread Glad you like the D ring album!

I'm doing a fairy tale and it's probably going to be rather long with a large number of pages,,,most likely 30-40 pages, and I am considering a D ring album for this,,,,,I have to go look at a few and see what I think,,,,,

blushpea
Mayor
blushpea
In response to CommaHolly

I love them because you can move pages so easily - I can't stand moving pages around in post bounds! And yes you can fit so much more in a 3 ring (no pesky extension posts either). The cons are subjective, some people don't like the gap in the the middle where the rings are (in cases of 2 pagers); I don't mind the gap at all.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to blushpea

I only use American Crafts D Rings! Once I started, there was no going back.

ashtonsmommy
Governor
ashtonsmommy
In response to Here Kitty

I use post bound for certain things that use a limitted amount of pages. For example, a memorial album, a themed album etc.

If it is my family album it is 3 ring all the way! I can fit so many more pages it and I love to mix up the page with 6X12 and other variations!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ashtonsmommy

Thanks for all the input! I do lots of 2-page lo's, so I wondered about the gap. I've never seen a ring album in use...anyone have a pic of an open one?

tufano79
Idol
tufano79

I've used American Crafts Modern Albums and We are Memory Makers Leather Albums. I love the versatility with the D-ring. I can create thicker pages and not worry about lack of room. I also like the ease of changing pages or adding pages without undoing posts...too much work.

I love my D-rings!!!

Hugs, Josie

Edited by tufano79 on 04-11-09 08:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9

I ourchased one of these which I love.....it is the Making Memories brand and I have the corduory binder which comes in several colors. After I transferred my grandsons book to this one....I was thrilled. It holds 42 pages and so far, it is wonderful....in fact so wonderful that I have bought two more for the book I am doing now for another grandchild. I have also bought a MBI Khaki cloth bound one which has smaller rings, so I am thinking it will not hold as much. I am ready to buy one of the Keeping Memories Alive albums from this site any day now.....I must say...I LOVE these. If you are making albums for kids as memory books....these are great. They hold so much more, you can change the pages around much easier, I have inserted new pages a year after the book was finished....LOVE THEM...I will never go back to post-bound again.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-11-09 09:03 AM

• scraprabbit Said:
Thanks for all the input! I do lots of 2-page lo's, so I wondered about the gap. I've never seen a ring album in use...anyone have a pic of an open one?

I have a few in my Gallery under "Other". Here is one with it open.

American Crafts Album (D-Ring) By Ami G

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-11-09 09:06 AM
In response to Ami G

Does anyone know if the Colorbok 12x12 pages fit in any of the 3 ring albums? If so, what brand?

By fit, I mean is the whole page inside of the album, or does it stick out on the top or bottom? Do the holes line up?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
Does anyone know if the Colorbok 12x12 pages fit in any of the 3 ring albums? If so, what brand?

By fit, I mean is the whole page inside of the album, or does it stick out on the top or bottom? Do the holes line up?

Do you mean the page protectors ?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Here Kitty

Thanks Ami! I think you guys are selling me on them! My postbounds get SO fat (I do yearly chronological albums).

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn

1.easier to move pages
2.fit more pages
3.they dont fall apart at all like postbound tend too.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics