Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How is THIS done??        (Topic#1501279)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

This might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to expand my scrapbooking horizons, and I really like the LOOK of this, and can't quite figure out how its done,,,,

is it just CUT out?? Or is a cricut used? Or is it just the shape of the paper ALREADY?? How exactly can I get this look? This scalloped, kind of perentheses look,,,,Any ideas???

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 2085961.h...

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 2085937.h...

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 2085675.h...

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 2085431.h...

anyway,,,,,I'm INTERESTED!!!!!!!!! LOL,,,Holly

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to CommaHolly

Holly, most of those were bought that shape. The first 2 have the My Mind's Eye Penny Lane collection paper in them.
There are a LOT of similar papers in the super store
Of course, you can just buy one and use it as a template to make your own. Some people cut their own on their cutting machines. I use my Silouette to cut shapes like that as you can see on this card I made.

Bright side of life
By Here Kitty
Products Referenced in This Post:

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-13-09 06:25 AM

I have seen paper already cut with the face brackets {} on the left and right edges at HL. I have also seen the large sized stencils that have the face brackets and parentheses.

You could also print whichever one on your computer (use a font size to match what size your paper is) and use it as a stencil.

If you purchase the paper already cut, you could trace the outline onto cardboard and keep that as a future stencil.

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to Tivi

Or you can buy a sheet that is already shaped like that and use it as a stencil...I sometimes do that!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Renee77

ah, thankyou ladies,,,I kind of wondered if that might be the case,

Now at least I know what I'm looking for,,,

My Cricut cartridge has brackets on it, but I haven't tried it yet, and I didn't know if this was how it was done,,,,,or if the paper was just SHAPED that way Thanks again,,,,,

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole

yeah i do believe that most of them were bought this way... but there is a way to make your own... pm me if interested.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

LOL, this is a popular opinion I guess

• Here Kitty Said:
Of course, you can just buy one and use it as a template to make your own.

• Tivi Said:
If you purchase the paper already cut, you could trace the outline onto cardboard and keep that as a future stencil.

• Renee77 Said:
Or you can buy a sheet that is already shaped like that and use it as a stencil...I sometimes do that!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Renee77

They also sell a stencil in the superstore and at LSS. I have both the small (4x4) and large ones. I like these better than tracing over a sheet you already have because they are thicker and therefore easier to trace (IMO), plus they have other shapes on them that you can use.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to siameseplease

Hmmmmmmmm think I need to buy a stencil,,,it would probably be worth my money if it was sturdier and lasted longer AND had other shapes,,,,

I DO have a marquis on my Story book font that is very similar, but it's just not large enough,,,,

anyone want to remind me again WHY I didn't buy the Expression?????????????? My Create is SUPPOSED to cut to 11.5 inches, but for the life of me I can't figure out how,,,,,LOL,,,,,maybe if I actually READ the directions and WATCHED the DVD that came with it???

Holly

Renbear
Diva
Renbear

The create will cut 11.5 for most items if you change to Portrait. The button on the top of the ones to the far left. It will move the carriage to the left of the machine when it starts to cut, and that way it will maximize the length of your mat. But it will try to cut the entire shape out, so if you're cutting out one of the decorative pieces it will still only be the maximum of 11.5 x 5.75(approximately).
The shape you're interested in is the only thing that makes me regret not getting the bigger cricut, but its the only thing so far... don't know if I'd ever need a letter that is 26inches!!
I think there is a die for that shape for the Big Shot, but not sure...and that's a whole 'nuther subject!!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to whateveriwant

• whateveriwant Said:
LOL, this is a popular opinion I guess

• Here Kitty Said:
Of course, you can just buy one and use it as a template to make your own.

• Tivi Said:

• Renee77 Said:

This is what I do! For quite a few of the different scallop type pp.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Renbear

• Renbear Said:
The create will cut 11.5 for most items if you change to Portrait. The button on the top of the ones to the far left. It will move the carriage to the left of the machine when it starts to cut, and that way it will maximize the length of your mat. But it will try to cut the entire shape out, so if you're cutting out one of the decorative pieces it will still only be the maximum of 11.5 x 5.75(approximately).
The shape you're interested in is the only thing that makes me regret not getting the bigger cricut, but its the only thing so far... don't know if I'd ever need a letter that is 26inches!!
I think there is a die for that shape for the Big Shot, but not sure...and that's a whole 'nuther subject!!

yeah,,,,I thought I tried that,,,,will try again

this is the SECOND thing i wanted to try larger!!! The first was the heart on the same cartridge!!!!! I wanted to cut a blue, lacy heart and overlay it on white embossed paper and surround with flowers,,,,

yeah,,,,,not happening,,,,I've had this thing a month and a half and I love it, but I'm NOT selling it and buying a more expensive one yet, DH will kill me!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion,,,,,,will give it a try

Holly

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

sigh, I must be doing something wrong,,,,when I put it in portrait mode, it just says "charachters won't fit" no matter HOW SMALL I make the size,,,even 4 inches,,,,

go figure,,,,I'm going to have to read some directions here,,,,

nessa9116
Veteran
nessa9116

I used a cardstock page I had in that shape and traced it.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to nessa9116

I know for making smaller shapes like those posted Stampin Up sells a die for the Sizzix, Big Shot, Big Kick called Top Note

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to gg loves Matthew

I bought one sheet of that pp then used it to trace around on to ceral box card and now I make my own

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SuperAllyFan

Well, I made the marquis as large as I could on cardstock and then traced it TWICE on the pp and cut it out,,,

I wanted one big one, but wound up with two small ones,,,,not EXACTLY what I wanted, but with no car (son has it at the moment!!) and no template, I think it turned out pretty well

I think I'm going to order the template from here, though, because I think it's worth my money, and I might as well support sb.com when it's such a good price!!! With the template, I can make any pp I want look like that, and that's the draw for me,,,,I dont' mind spending money on something when I want it, but why buy paper that looks like that and make do, when I can buy the template and have the exact paper I want look like that,,,,

thanks for the suggestions, guys And thanks Siamese, for pointing out that template

jebred
jebred 
Tenant
jebred

I used some paper (shaped and regular) and turned both pieces over (to make sure I didn't get any pencil on the nice side) to trace the shaped onto the Basic Grey paper I wanted to use. After I was done tracing I cut it out with good scissors. Then I inked the edges. I loved it.
Here is a poorly lit and taken photo...haha.

Jackie's First Time Fishing By Jebred

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jebred

it's beautiful!!!!!! And exactly what I want, LOL

jebred
jebred 
Tenant
jebred

Thanks! It was way easy to trace out. I didn't need a full bracket so I just traced off the edge so I would have a flat side. Plus depending on how you cut it out, you could have the leftover paper as a frame on another layout.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics