Username Post: Present for a new scrapper        (Topic#1501469)
badmojo17
Veteran
badmojo17

So my Mother-in-law's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and she really wants to get into scrapbooking. She has bought some supplies, but it seems she is not sure where to start. I wanted to take her to a class but she is so busy, it's hard to find time! So I was thinking of getting her a kit or a good book to help give her some direction. Any suggestions?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to badmojo17

A kit with detailed directions would be nice. I picked up a few kits lately because they were cheap, but it just ended up to be a page or two of pp and some die cuts or ribbon and flowers with no directions or examples. I had to buy other stuff to make it look nice. If I was a beginner, it would have been useless. According to their idea, everytime I shop for paper and matching supplies, I'm making a kit!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to johnsusan8

How about a nice Scrappin Magazine and a gift card to her LSS or J's, M's?

Scatter
Guru
Scatter
In response to badmojo17

Don't forget the lifetime membership to scrapbook.com!!

MishW
MishW 
Veteran
MishW
  • MishW on 04-14-09 06:57 PM
In response to johnsusan8

I did that for my niece a couple of years ago. I got her a scrapbook, paper slicer, Glue Dots , and this book. It's a good book for someone just starting out.

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to MishW

My two suggestions are if you want a class for her at a time that works best for her try the classes here offered by Big Picture Scrapbooking. Many are very reasonable and she can do some of the classes at any time that is convenient for her.

or what I give to all new scrapbookers is Cathy Zielske's books. Also another good one is the new Quick and Easy photo albums ( Simple Scrapbooks special issue mag) - a very simple introductory to advanced way to scrapbook!!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to nancyhyland

Great suggestions! Maybe you could pick from some of these ideas and add in a coupon... good for scrap time together?

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to badmojo17

i think that there are 2 books that are really good. i got them not to long ago.... the encyclopedia of scrapbooking and scrapbooking made easy. even thogh i'm not a new scrapper- i still found them helpfull.

i think that a good precedence scissor, some stickles, and maybe some plain ribbon. things that are allways usfull. i think paper she needs to pick up on her on.

all thogh.. some of the amricen craft cardstock- is reallu nice. (like the prime)...

badmojo17
Veteran
badmojo17
In response to Kitty_wOlf

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm leaning towards getting her one of the suggested books, maybe a gift certificate, and I don't know - I'm still thinking about some kind of kit or something. I don't want to get her basic supplies, because I'm not exactly sure what she has already got.
But thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to badmojo17

May I suggest the book "Playing with Paper" by Angelia Wigginton? I LOVE that book... the layouts in there seem pretty basic (nothing too crazy), so I think it would be pretty easy for a beginner to follow. However she makes every single one look SO NICE and special by using all the different pattern papers. Lots of great tips in there.

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to Mama2Thomas

I agree with your choices for a gift card and a book. If you're looking for a kit the 2 tv shopping channels both have some complete kits to choose from!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics