Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Stupid Newbie Question,,,        (Topic#1501489)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK, DH bought me a present,,,,,very sweet of him I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail :)But I have a REALLLLLLLLLLLY stupid question.,,,,

what on EARTH is a "self healing" mat,,,,,

I know you can cut on it, that's what he BOUGHT it for,,,,,,but what does "self healing" mean???

Like I said,,,,kind of stupid, but I'm really confused as to what it means,,,

Holly

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to CommaHolly

It means that your cutting surface won't disintegrate with repeated use. So even though you're cutting on it over and over, it won't fall apart quickly. I've had mine for over 7 years and it's still in great shape.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CatScrapsHere

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok Well that makes sense Thankyou so much

creativesoul_in_WI
Governor
creativesoul_in_WI

Self healing means that you can cut on it with cutting tools and there won't be scratch marks into the mat. The mat "heals" from the cut. So if you had something like the Fiskars shape cutter Fiskars - ShapeCutter you could use it on that mat and the cut would cut the paper but not the mat.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to creativesoul_in_WI

apparently this one can be cut on with craft knives too,,,,

do I need to put something down on the table FIRST to protect the table,,,,or is that what this mat does??

He bought the Fiskars self healing mat,,,

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

That's what the mat does!

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE

You shouldn't need anything between the table and the mat...unless you have super human strength when cutting...LOL...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to JHAWKEYE

LOL, ok, that's what I thought,,,,,but I don't want to ASSUME anything!!!! Thankyou !!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath

You'll love it! I can't live without mine!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappycath

I have wanted one so badly for weeks now!!! Wasn't he sweet?????? He must want the television all to himself very badly

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

i've wanted one for a very long time and i've been scraping for over 3 years now...

i use a glass photo mat for now....

my mom has to huge sellf healing mats for her swing....

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Kitty_wOlf

I love my self-healing mat. It's got grid lines (rulers) for me to measure with. I use it constantly, never move it off of my table! I usually design all of my LOs on top of it. It is great...you will love having one Holly!

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls
In response to StarsNSparkles

Holly, this is NOT a stupid question hon...stop thinking that. The only stupid questions are the ones we don't ask!

You will LOVE your mat...they are awesome! I've had an 8 1/2x11 mat for a while now and then actually found one that's 12x12 a couple of months ago (for only $10!!) and I use it every single time I scrap...

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose

I'm using my mom's old quilting self healing mat. Its larger than the scrapbooking ones and has a grid on it for measuring and aliching. It must be over 30 years old, but hey, it works for me and I feel I have a little of her crafty inspiration with me when I use it.

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 04-15-09 04:40 AM
In response to Mother Goose

First off - no stupid questions!! We all don't know something when we start out!

I love my self healing mat. I actually just got a second 12 x 12 one so I can work on a 2 page 12 x 12 LO side by side. I use it to protect my worksurface whenever I sb. I use the lines to help me (pretend) that I'm going to put something down straight. I use my craft knife and don't have to worry about scratching the table. Love it and I bet you will too!

Andrea

Scatter
Guru
Scatter

• Stephanie_W Said:
I love my self-healing mat. It's got grid lines (rulers) for me to measure with. I use it constantly, never move it off of my table! I usually design all of my LOs on top of it. It is great...you will love having one Holly!

Mine is on my desk 95% of the time. I learned to move it when I'm heat embossing.

sankie1987
Pro
sankie1987
In response to Scatter

i love mine!! i have 2 one is like 8 x 11 and it was to small to lay my lo on on so i told my bf i wanted a bigger one and he did the boy thing and got the biggest one he could find lol its the martha stuwart one thats like 18 x 24 lol but i love it i can lay both my los out and they fit and i can use the lines to help make things straight on my page

Jadedlady
Veteran
Jadedlady
In response to sankie1987

I got mine at Big Lots for 5 bucks. It's 12 X 12 with grid lines.. Love it!

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to Jadedlady

infact I have so many of the large self healing cutting matts that I cut one to fit the size of my little table i use for scrapping and i glued it to the table top.. that way it is always there and it doesn't move on me... the piece that I cut off is still usable and i have another piece i can put on my desk if I need it.. and I still have 2 of the large size cutting matts.

amanet17
Tenant
amanet17

I have this mat and I love it so much, it makes cutting easier to because the surface is not slippery.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics