Username Post: adhesive questions        (Topic#1501627)
New Kid On the Block

I did a little scrapbooking abt. 6 years ago and then had to put it all on hold till recently. Now I am ready to get back into it. My question is "what kind of adhesive do you use"? Some of my l/o from 6 years ago is coming loose. What did I do wrong? And what abt. those thin letters that I cut with my cricut? Is there a better product? I want my albums to last and pass on. Help!!!!!

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to Gammiuf5

I use:
*photo mounting squares on my photos
*mounting tape (where you tear off the amount you need) for attaching large pieces of patterned paper to a background
*a fine-tip glue pen or a xyron 150 for small letters and die-cuts
* Glue Dots for attaching chipboard and lumpy items like buttons
I have a lot of more specialized adhesives that I also use, but these are the basics.

ETA: you don't mention what kind of adhesive you used before, but if you used glue sticks, those are notorious for not holding over time.

Edited by animemama on 04-17-09 07:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to animemama

Welcome back!

I use xyron glue machines 500 and 900, I have an X but I haven't used it yet. I run my paper through the adhesive machine before I cut any shapes or letters. It becomes like a sticker and I only have to peel the backing off. I also run my photos through the machine.

I also use glue dot which come in various sizes and are made for various uses.

Tenant
In response to dotfree

I use an inexpensive double sided tape from a local dollar store that is acid free. I've also used more expensive double sided tapes from M's but I find that the inexpensive stuff works just as well and I get to save money.

For some of the finer things that need to be glued, I use Tombo liquid glue. I also use Glossy Accents.

If you have used a glue stick in the past, that may give you issues with it coming off.

New Kid On the Block
In response to animemama

• animemama Said:
I use:
*photo mounting squares on my photos
*mounting tape (where you tear off the amount you need) for attaching large pieces of patterned paper to a background
*a fine-tip glue pen or a xyron 150 for small letters and die-cuts
* Glue Dots for attaching chipboard and lumpy items like buttons
I have a lot of more specialized adhesives that I also use, but these are the basics.

ETA: you don't mention what kind of adhesive you used before, but if you used glue sticks, those are notorious for not holding over time.

Yes, it was a glue stick. i didn't know any better then. Thanks for all the product tips, I will be trying some.

mommie75
Queen
mommie75
In response to Gammiuf5

i love Tombo w tape runner and Glue Dots !

Edited by mommie75 on 04-17-09 08:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to mommie75

Mine came apart too. I used glue sticks and as they dried out over time and people bending pages as they turned them, the stuff on my papers literally popped off. Thankfully, everything was in sheet protectors but I have years of pages I need to reglue/redo.

Bite the bullet and buy an ATG! In the long run, YOU WILL SAVE MONEY.

The ATG guns are pricey but well worth it and is cheaper in the long run. Actually easier on my hands/wrists. I've got the beginnings of carpal tunnel and the gun is better for me.

I used to use the Duck Easy Sticks. I'd buy them in the 4 pack for around $9. This is equal to ONE roll of ATG tape, which cost me about $3.

My first order of ATG was the gun and 24 refill. With shipping it was $72 which made the cost of each roll at $3. Prices have gone up on both the gun and tapes but it's still cheaper.

Plus after 10 refills it was like free if I'd have been paying for the other adhesive.

Also, I only broke one roll of the dozens I've used. I just rethreaded it and kept on going. I can not tell you how many Easy Sticks I've broken over the past 2-3 years. I never trashed these but they were aggravating to use once broken.

For thin letters and shapes, either pre- xyron the papers BEFORE you cut them them out, or use a glue pen.

Shortie82
Expert
Shortie82
In response to Vivian loves BLING

double sided tape all the way for me cant live without and so easy to use

New Kid On the Block
In response to Shortie82

HINT FOR ATG GUN --- RELEASE THE TRIGGER BEFORE YOU LIFT OFF THE PAPER OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE A MESS

craft_ticle_creations
Resident
craft_ticle_creations
In response to Gammiuf5

I really like 3L click n stick adhesive tabs. theres no blue tabs to peel off makes scrappin' so much easier, faster and LESS MESS! As if that's possible

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to craft_ticle_creations

I use my xyron for cricut stuff, Glue Dots for buttons and flowers, terrifically tacky tape for really good and tacky projects, and Kokuyo dot n roller for everything else. I also use pot dots for popping projects, but that is about it.

LateNiteScrapper
Resident
LateNiteScrapper
In response to llprncess3

Photo mount squares and fine tip glue pen.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics