Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: how do you        (Topic#1502025)
ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo

I was reading and saw that some people make they're own embellishments. can someone give me an idea of how to do or somthing like that. it sounds pretty cool and like a money saver.. thnx

Angela

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to ang_geo

I've seen people make flowers out of multi size circles with curled edges. Buttons with a doodled stem and petals are cute. You can print clip art and color with markers, pencils and glitter glue. I also saw a card in the gallery with birds made out of buttons!

Just look at what you have and pretend you are in school again! We all made something out of nothing when we were kids!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ang_geo

You can use flower punches and stack and stickle them. Use something cute in the center of the flower, like a button or curled fibers.

Stamp and emboss a flourish.

Cut images from a piece of patterned paper and use it over matching cardstock. If it's thick enough, you can make it 3D with foam dots.

There are so many things you can do. Use your imagination and just have fun! Good luck!

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to melissadam

lol i guess ur right. i could get my imagination runnin again

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to johnsusan8

whats stickle?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ang_geo

Stickles are bottles of glitter glue. They are very easy to use and are just beautiful. They come in many different colors and also in types that only glitter the background color. If you just want to try them out, the second type is the best. They cost about $2 a bottle and are very versatile. They can become addictive, so watch out! lol

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

You can pretty much as us how to make any embellishment and SOMEBODY will be able to tell you how to do it What are you interested in doing?

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to Here Kitty

well anything 3d ish. not flowers though. i have 2 lil boys and all my scrapbooking revolves around them. i just cant explain it i guess. lol

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ang_geo

You can layer stars like you would flowers.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8

You can use magazine pictures or colorbook pictures, too. It's best to spray with an archival spray, but shop around for the cheapest price because it can get very pricey. Or if you don't want to use the spray, just mat the pictures and keep away from the photos.

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo

ooohhhh that is a super great idea. i am gonna have to try it. ty so very much

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to ang_geo

what does mat mean?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ang_geo

That's the paper you put under your photos. If you frame a picture to hang on your wall, the mat is over the edges of the picture. In scrapping, it's the opposite. If you do it on top, it's called framing. Whatever YOU like to do is best.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

you can use foam dots to add 3D quality to your embellishments.

Buttons are another good embellishment. Thread twine through them for a boyish look.

Use denim from old blue jeans and cut out shapes.

Circles cut from patterned paper can add fun dimension to your pages. Try adding some directly to the page and others propped up on foam dots.

My Hero
By Here Kitty

I used stars for embellishment on this page. I used a star stamp and cut them out.

I'm Kind of a big deal
By Here Kitty

Use elements from photos and cut them out for embellishments. I used donuts in this LO>
Grandma's Donuts By Here Kitty

I used Tattered Angels Glimmer mist over chipboard stars on this LO.
July By Here Kitty

Use patterned paper and cut out parts of it. You can use foam dots to add dimension and distress the edges as well.

100% Boy
By Here Kitty

Just a few ideas for ya

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to Here Kitty

wow those pages are awesome compared to mine. thnx for the advice

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to ang_geo

in searching through different layouts...some have done flowers with little boys..and it was amazing. I would not have thought the two go hand in hand...You could make 3-d kites...all they are are diamond shape and add twine, ribbon, whatever you want to embelish it with..even stickles.

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to sunshineann

wow that is an awesome idea too. the kites. so awesome. wow u guys make feel dumb for not thinking of any of this

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 04-23-09 05:56 AM
In response to ang_geo

print out coloring pages and cut them apart to make patterns. Cut all the pieces out of your scraps of leftover paper then "paper piece" them together for a cute embellishment

Shiver Me Timbers - left side By J3Mel the treasure chest in this layout is paper pieced.

I have also done cartoon characters like Spongebob and Dora for friends of mine.

You can layer hearts to make flowers

ideas of things you can use on boys layouts include stars, circles, stripes, metal like shaped paper clips or brads/eyelets, bugs/worms/bees are fairly easy to make with circle and heart punches.

try googling punch art...that will give you some ideas on some easy stuff to make with some pretty basic punches or shapes that can be hand cut.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to sunshineann

• sunshineann Said:
in searching through different layouts...some have done flowers with little boys..and it was amazing. I would not have thought the two go hand in hand...You could make 3-d kites...all they are are diamond shape and add twine, ribbon, whatever you want to embelish it with..even stickles.

I've put hand made flowers on a couple pages for my son and husband. All of them have some sort of angular (to me, manly) touch to them. The most recent flowers were two squares crumpled and smoothed out; layered off-set and attached with a brad. Use "manly" colors and it's not such a big deal.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MommaSaid

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that making things by hand is an opportunity to play and explore options that you might not find in a pre-made item. You get to doodle, manipulate, cut... There is no limit to what you can achieve.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics