Username Post: Die cut machine        (Topic#1502161)
New Kid On the Block

Can someone help me? I work at a school and we don't have a die cut machine. I know many of you have them at home and I was hoping, praying, that perhaps someone might have they no longer use? I would be happy to pay for shipping... With all the budget cuts I doubt we'll be able to get a machine in the near future. What I would prefer is something simple, and I do need the alphabet dies. We live in a small town and purchasing dies would not be possible locally.

If anyone has any suggestions where a die cut machine could be purchased online for the best price possible, that would help out a bunch also. I'm hoping someone has a machine moth balled and would like to help out a school in need.
Thank you,
Laura

Mimmy96
Veteran
Mimmy96
In response to azpines

Wish I had an extra one to give ya... I would be more than willing to donate to a school... Good luck!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Mimmy96

Laura, large alphabet sets are very costly. The cost effective product would be either a Wishblade or Cricut. Both will let you adjust the sizes of letters and designs.

The Wishblade , Silhouette or Craft ROBO Master will let you use any True Type Fonts already on your computer and will let you create your own designs. No need to buy additional cartridges or discs. Of course, you'll need a computer for these to work off of.

You may try to get someone to donate a Cricut and cartridges.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Vivian loves BLING

You could always post under the WANT(ED) adds on Craigslist or Freecycle...Just explain the situation, purpose & cause.

Also, you might also have a small student/teacher school fundraiser of some sort (car wash/bake sale) for such a machine...that is, if it's allowed through the district or school.

Lastly, perhaps your school principal could rally support for a company to donate one. If not through the company directly, then perhaps by way of a local business or business owner.

Hope That Helps & Good Luck!

New Kid On the Block

Wow! These forums are awesome, I got some replies in just a few moments. I know the dies are very expensive, that's the reason our school has not been able to purchase one. I've tried contacting companies about donations, I've not had any luck, my fingers are crossed maybe a company will respond positively. I'm in no hurry, I'd just like to have one before the start of the new school year.
I'd LOVE to have one of those "computer" die cut machines. I think perhaps a manual one would be more "school friendly" as we have many students and faculty, something simple would be best.
Our school is on a strict budget and we are not allowed to use items that use electricity. I can't believe it has come to that. We have all had to remove microwaves, coffee pots, etc. I think another electronic device would be frowned upon.
We've had fund raisers all year long for other items our school needs. I think the parents and community are just about tapped out. Yes, I have checked Craiglist and freecycle, without luck. The nearest Craiglist community is 200 miles away, and still the prices were out of my reach anyway. Freecycle has not been successful either. It's just that our community is very rural and money along with jobs are hard to come by.
Thanks again,
Laura

Edited by azpines on 04-22-09 12:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to azpines

blink,,,,,you;re kidding,,,,,NO ELECTRICITY?????

NO COFFEE??????????????????? ??????????

THAT'S TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, it might be more expensive to purchase a manual machine and all the alphabet dies than an electric machine and one cartridge to cut various sizes of letters,,,,,

but without power, good luck,,,,

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to CommaHolly

Have you contacted Ellison?

www.ellison.com

They're the makers for Sizzix and the larger institutional large machines and alphabets.

New Kid On the Block

Yes, I have contacted Ellison. They sent me a very nice reply, but they no longer donate. They apparently are receiving many, many requests so they are no longer able to make donations. I imagine many schools are in the same situation as ours.
Laura

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 04-22-09 01:13 PM
In response to azpines

Having worked in a school with the school size die machines and having a scrapbook size one myself, I would caution you against using a scrapbooking die cut in a school setting. IMO I don't think it would stand up to that kind of use unless it is your personal machine for your personal use. I know I sure wouldn't use thin dies and the "pasta machine" style machines. I might entertain the red Sizzix with the push down bar and the large dies.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Keys

Thank you for your input about some of the machines not being able to hold up to daily use. I had no idea and will keep that in mind! I did have one of those manual ones that you push down in mind. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of die cut contraptions on the market! Simple is best, in my opinion. I may have to keep the machine here in my library so it doesn't get man handled in the work room.
Laura

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to azpines

With both of these machines you'd have use different "settings" or combinations of cutting pads to use different dies. Sticking with the Ellison's "professional" machines and dies would be safest.

The Crucit would probably still be the best except for the electrical part.

I know I read here that someone here, who is a teacher, bought a Cricut with a fellow teacher at her school. Each of them have their own machines at home but shared on at their school. They tried to share cartridges, too. I don't think they shared this with others at the school.
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block

Thank you for your input. I'm not knowledgable in die cut machines and your suggestions really helped out. HOpefully I'll find one before school starts in the Fall. I'm definately looking for a sizzix with the push down lever. I'll keep checking Craiglist, wish me luck!

Laura

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to azpines

I'm a teacher- so I'll chime in here.

Honestly, Ellison is the best for schools. Their dies are VERY durable. Students can use the machine but it's pretty heavy. The ellison machine is set up to be used for LOTS and LOTS of cuts over and over. It does not have a cutting pad that needs to be flipped over/replaced periodically.

If I were trying to get my school to get a machine I would go for a computer connected one. You can do an energy audit and see how much it costs to run it and the computer and see if your PTA will kick in for a year of cost to run it. It's not like it needs to be on all the time. Only when it's being used. Really, I think for $1000 (I know it sounds like LOTS) you will be able to get the machine and use it for a year or more. That's assuming you have computers available already. The yearly operating cost if probably somewhere around $100 if you only turn them on when using them. You will spend WAY more than $1000 on dies and a machine if you go the ellison/sizzix route.

Good luck- I LOVE our ellison machine but we're super limited on the dies we can use because we have ONE alpha set that is 5" high and that's it. It would be nice to have larger letters for bigger posters.

You could do up a pro/con list for each type of machine and their costs and what each can do and present it at a meeting or to your principal or district office/board. From what it sounds like you're REALLY rural so I don't know. I teach in a rural district and we haven't been told no power. So..... dunno.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Seaexplore

PTO doesn't exist. I just was going to try to obtain one cheap, on my own. I really can't afford anything right now, most of the teachers don't even know if we'll have jobs next year so I'm hesitant to spend any money on something that may or may not be used.

We'll see, if something comes along, and I can afford it I'll pick it up.
Thanks again,
Laura

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics