Page 1 of 13 
Username Post: Thread to talk about Military Layouts/Albums :)        (Topic#1502327)
anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I changed this thread to a discussion on military layouts & albums since several of us are working on them. Some of us are lookiing for answers to military questions, so if you are/were military or a family member, feel free to join us.

Thank you in advance for your help. I switched from strap hinge to top load so I need to replace some albums.
Thank you!

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 11:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 05:45 AM
In response to anda11

Are you asking about the post bound albums with the 'metal' emblems on the front, like the USMC?

I just started on DH's USMC album, and so far, I have 20 page protectors with 40 LO's. None of the LO's are lumpy, tho. Probably the 'thickest' embellie is a paper soldier (from PDDU) on top of a foamy tape. Or a LO with several of his fabric patches. I have his medals in a display frame, so those aren't in the album.

Most of the LO's are very simple. He recieved a LOT of commendations, so I'm keeping it rather plain by most standards. Titles, journal cards, pics, and a few cutouts with my cricut.

I think I can put more page protectors in the album, without it falling apart.

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to Tivi

i have the cubscout album from that line...so far i have added 2 refill packs to the set of pages already in it...and I know I'll be adding more...so far it is holding up great...and it gets a lot of looks from the scouts and their parents....hope that helps

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 06:20 AM
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Did you use the extenders that come in the refill packs? Or did you buy longer ones, the ones that are 2 or 3 inches long?

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
Are you asking about the post bound albums with the 'metal' emblems on the front, like the USMC?

I just started on DH's USMC album, and so far, I have 20 page protectors with 40 LO's. None of the LO's are lumpy, tho. Probably the 'thickest' embellie is a paper soldier (from PDDU) on top of a foamy tape. Or a LO with several of his fabric patches. I have his medals in a display frame, so those aren't in the album.

Most of the LO's are very simple. He recieved a LOT of commendations, so I'm keeping it rather plain by most standards. Titles, journal cards, pics, and a few cutouts with my cricut.

I think I can put more page protectors in the album, without it falling apart.

Thanks very much Tivi! I am talking about the MC album that is the color of the dress blues & it has Marines in gold letters & it does have the medalion on it. It is the one they sell here too.
Is that the one you have?
I am so glad to hear it holds so many pages & that you like it. Your album sounds wonderful! I am not going to put too much lumpy but I will have some patches because he does not have them all. It was a long time ago. LOL I did find a cool idea on a bb once that I did. I burned a cd that had the hymn, some marching cadences, some patriotic songs. I think one was Stars & Stripes forever. It had an old connection with the MC. (John Phillip Sousa wrote it maybe who I think directed the MC band??) I am going to put the cd in the album too. Maybe on the inside back cover in a pocket.I am going to make a page with the words to the hymn. This may not matter to newer Marines but the last page of the album, I am going to put Goodnight Chesty Puller wherever you are. Because that is what they had to say everynight at bedtime in boot camp. I was thinking of using typewriter fonts or sizzlets for journaling since most of his stuff is typewritten. Sizzix made a big die of a dog tag that I am going to use too. I have some stencils & sizzlets that look like stencils like they had used on their stuff. Thanks for your ideas. Feel free to share more! Thanks! I think dh would love that album when he sees it. I was just going to use a red one before I switched.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Thank you Jennie! I appreciate your reply. I am glad to hear that you put 2 refills in it & ay put more. It is nice to know if I need to go bigger. I am also glad to hear it has been holding up well & that you like it!

Edited by anda11 on 04-24-09 07:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 06:06 PM
In response to anda11

I'm pretty sure we have the same album. There is another made by another company, but it just looks 'cheap' to me.

Where did he do boot? DH was at Camp Pendelton in 1978. They did the "Goodnight...", too.

You gave me a great idea! I think I'll put the Hymm on a page talker and put that on the first page.

I have to look thru my cricut carts and see if I have something like a dog tag. For some of the pics, I am using my Dyno label maker for the peoples' names (well, the names I remember!). I'm leaving some open space to add whatever journaling DH wants later. I will also give him a pack of posty notes and a pen to write his notes as he looks thru the album.

I did get the USMC paper pack that they sell. Actually, I've bought 2 packs. I'm using most of the them for the commendations, and I'm putting the pics on solid color - red, blue, gold.

I haven't decided how to do the Ball pics - any ideas? Not too frilly/girly, but not plain either.

Products Referenced in This Post:

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
I'm pretty sure we have the same album. There is another made by another company, but it just looks 'cheap' to me.

Where did he do boot? DH was at Camp Pendelton in 1978. They did the "Goodnight...", too.

You gave me a great idea! I think I'll put the Hymm on a page talker and put that on the first page.

I have to look thru my cricut carts and see if I have something like a dog tag. For some of the pics, I am using my Dyno label maker for the peoples' names (well, the names I remember!). I'm leaving some open space to add whatever journaling DH wants later. I will also give him a pack of posty notes and a pen to write his notes as he looks thru the album.

I did get the USMC paper pack that they sell. Actually, I've bought 2 packs. I'm using most of the them for the commendations, and I'm putting the pics on solid color - red, blue, gold.

I haven't decided how to do the Ball pics - any ideas? Not too frilly/girly, but not plain either.

Thank you very much Tivi! I haven't purchased it yet but I will purchase the same one you have. I do think it looks wonderful.

I thought about the page talkers yrs ago but they were only 30 seconds I think. Dh loves the patriotic music. He was a very good trumpet player
& when he enlisted they told him he could try out for the MC band but they never let him. The music is kinda important to dh. That is why I am using a cd.

He was in CA in 66. He is 9 yrs older than I so I was not the brave heroic woman waitng for her husband as you have been. I do thank you & your husband for his service.
We were invited to the ball one yr. I am sorry to say that I do not have pics. I saw some people had posted ball pics here though.
I do understand about how you are making it more simple & how it should be respectful.
The dyno label maker is another good idea. Thanks!
Oh on a site someone posted a ball pic that was done simply but they added red white & blue buttons in a heart shape around the couple. It was simple but dramatic too. I saved it so if you want to see it, let me know.

Those paper packs you bought are gorgeous. I do have those same papers because I bought them when they fist came out. I think they are perfect.
My dh loves my scrapping. He is funny too. The running joke has been that I have been collecting papers & stuff for his album longer than he was in. LOL I did stop buying a couple yrs ago. The joke is now it will take me longer to do the album than he was in. LOL
I am having him write what the journaling too. I will use the stuff I told you about for titles etc. Some months, he does not remember much. Others, he remembers most. I do put it away for long long periods though.
If you have more ideas, please share.
Thanks again!!!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-26-09 05:40 AM
In response to anda11

I making the album as a surprise for Fathers Day. He has walked in on me twice so far. He knows I'm doing something, but I don't think he has actually seen anything.

I was thinking the DCWV page talkers were longer than 20 seconds, until I read the description again! I found one somewhere that was 2 minutes. Hopefully, I wrote the manufacturer name somewhere. Maybe it was a talking pic frame?

He was PFC before he started boot. They were doing some kind of promo for the guys that went in delayed entry. He signed up 5 more guys and they promoted him.

Currently, I'm trying to do his promotion certificates for each rank. I haven't decided if I want to purchase actual patches for each rank, or draw/cut them out of paper. I have his final rank patch left over from our bar, but I don't have the others. I found a place online that I can order them. It will cost me just under $50 for get all of the missing ones.

When our house flooded in 2006, we added a bar (complete with beer keg, wine chiller, the whole thing!). We made the bartop so that we could decorate the top and then poured that epoxy stuff on top. The center of the bartop has military rank coins, chevron pins, military jet pins, etc. from DH, and our other family members that were/are in service. I had ordered his final rank patch, planning to put that in it too. The patch just didn't look right with the other stuff, tho.

My other problem is that we have misplaced some of the certificates. Do you know if there is someplace that I could get the certficates? I think I'll try the DAV next week, maybe they can help me. If not, I'll just make my own certificates.

I hear him getting up, gotta run!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
I making the album as a surprise for Fathers Day. He has walked in on me twice so far. He knows I'm doing something, but I don't think he has actually seen anything.

I was thinking the DCWV page talkers were longer than 20 seconds, until I read the description again! I found one somewhere that was 2 minutes. Hopefully, I wrote the manufacturer name somewhere. Maybe it was a talking pic frame?

He was PFC before he started boot. They were doing some kind of promo for the guys that went in delayed entry. He signed up 5 more guys and they promoted him.

Currently, I'm trying to do his promotion certificates for each rank. I haven't decided if I want to purchase actual patches for each rank, or draw/cut them out of paper. I have his final rank patch left over from our bar, but I don't have the others. I found a place online that I can order them. It will cost me just under $50 for get all of the missing ones.

When our house flooded in 2006, we added a bar (complete with beer keg, wine chiller, the whole thing!). We made the bartop so that we could decorate the top and then poured that epoxy stuff on top. The center of the bartop has military rank coins, chevron pins, military jet pins, etc. from DH, and our other family members that were/are in service. I had ordered his final rank patch, planning to put that in it too. The patch just didn't look right with the other stuff, tho.

My other problem is that we have misplaced some of the certificates. Do you know if there is someplace that I could get the certficates? I think I'll try the DAV next week, maybe they can help me. If not, I'll just make my own certificates.

I hear him getting up, gotta run!

That is so exciting!! What a perfect gift! When he caame in, did he see scrap stuff or MC stuff?? I hope it was just scrap stuff.

I am sorry to mislead you about the page talker. I was trying to not write so long so you wouldn't have to read it. I was really talking about the sound buttons they had yrs ago. These new ones sound much longer. I can see why you would use one. I may have to rethink mine.

About the patches- Does it matter to you if you have the actual patch? I saw some layouts here where someone scanned the patches & printed them out on scrapbook paper & cut them out. If you can buy them online, maybe you could save the pic to your computer & print them out. I have done that before but not about MC stuff. If he likes the patches, I can see wanting to buy them again.

About the promotion certificates- I have lots of sites saved over the yrs. I am pretty sure some are where you can get info but I may be confusing them with ones for my Dad & uncles in WWII.
I will start looking through them today to see what I can find. Are many of them similar?? I wonder if you can copy them in your puter & change them?
This is probably a dumb question but you do know about Sgt. Grit, don't you?
They have evryting MC & lots of links for stuff. Lots of stories & info but you probably have it already.
I will start looking.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 08:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

Hey Tivi, I sent you a pm with the 1st link. I will send more.
On the left side of the page had a buch of links too. One of them was for awards & medals & it had each branch info there. I don't want you to miss it.

I sent a total of 3 pms with links. See if any help you.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 11:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Guru
In response to anda11

Since my album is a memorial album I don't have one for any specific service though my late hubby was Army.

Is it just my imagination or have the words to the Army song changed since I was in in the late '70's? I want to put a copy of each services hymn/song at the front of my album since it covers all the services.

Does anyone know if the Coast Guard was considered a branch of the military during the VietNam War? If so I want to put in their song. I also want to put in something for the Merchant Marines as that's what my father was in during WWII as he was a cook on a Navy hospital ship. Any help with these questions will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to moodymolly

• moodymolly Said:
Since my album is a memorial album I don't have one for any specific service though my late hubby was Army.

Is it just my imagination or have the words to the Army song changed since I was in in the late '70's? I want to put a copy of each services hymn/song at the front of my album since it covers all the services.

Does anyone know if the Coast Guard was considered a branch of the military during the VietNam War? If so I want to put in their song. I also want to put in something for the Merchant Marines as that's what my father was in during WWII as he was a cook on a Navy hospital ship. Any help with these questions will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Molly, Thank you for joining our thread!! I want to say that I am sorry to hear about your husband. If I am reading right, you were in too, right?? I am fighting a headache today. It is hard to concentrate. I want to thank you both for your service.

I think your album sounds nice about covering all services in your family. :)My dh is a huge history & war buff & is pretty knowlegable about WWII. He is asleep but I will see if he knows any of your answers.:)

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to anda11

Hello,I am not making a military album but I am putting my grandfather's WWII pictures in my heritage album. He enlisted in the army signal corps which became the air force. He was a radio operator on a plane. He told me he once went on a rescue mission for missing fighter planes. I think he was talking about the planes that went missing in the Bermuda triangle.Do any of you know of any good websites where I could find information on the creation of the air force and some where I could research his military searvice?Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to lilyrose

Lilyrose, My dh is out here. He thinks those planes may be called The Lost Squadron or the ghost squadron. We will google it right now too see.

I just pmd you a link with it.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 12:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to anda11

I'm not doing an album but just completed two military layouts about my son in-law....and will be doing pages in the future. He's soon to be deployed to Afganistan and will send me pics he said. I'm going to mark this thread to follow and hope you all have pics in your gallery to look at. I'll check later. thanks.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to moodymolly

• moodymolly Said:

Molly, I just pm'd you with a link to a page telling about Coast Guard in Viet Nam. You could google that to get more pages on it.
MY dh is not helpful on your Dad because he was under the impression that if you were on the ship, you were in the Navy & not the Merchant Marine but I asked if it was because of it being a hospital ship maybe? There could have been exceptions. My Dad was in the Navy in WWII & I o have sites saved that have WWII naval history, naval information, how they named the ships, how to find veterans info & pics of the ships.
I gogled my Dad's ship yrs ago & found some pics of it. I saved them to my computer & sent them to my online photo developer & they came out great. They were 29 c ea. I do not have a pic that they issued my Dad but my dh says that they were signing up so many people & they might have skipped the formal pics because they were in a hurry.
I do have him & his brothers in uniform together.
I saw someone here post a layout of brothers & they titled it Brothers In Arms. I think that is what I am going to put on mine. :)I will see if I can find any info of the Merchant Marine.
If you need the Navy sites since he was on a ship-let me know.

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to anda11

Thanks,I'm going to check it out.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

Molly, I sent you a pm with some info about the Army song. hth
I am trying to find Merchant Marine info. DH says they were civilian crew on cargo vessels. I wonder if a hospital ship is considered a cargo vessel? I asked dh why they joined the MM instead of the Navy & dh says that they got paid more.
Good reason.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

Molly, I am sending you a link with a site that is titled Frequently asked questions about the Merchant Marine?
You could print out the info you want on your scrapbook paper so you can put it in your layout. I have done that with the Navy ship info etc.
The site has lots of links too.
hth

Page 1 of 13 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics