Username Post: Glitter...how to make it stick!        (Topic#1502595)
jenluvs2scrap
Pro
jenluvs2scrap

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how to you make loose or powder glitter stick to the pages and not on the plastic of the album? Over the weekend I used the Martha Steward stamp kit and I notice that some of the glitter still falls off. Please help.

Thank you!!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jenluvs2scrap

LOL, it's not easy,,,,,I use the MS super fine glitter, which I absolutely LOVE, but it does tend to travel a bit,,,,

Generally, I use the decoupage glue with it, because the first coat adheres and the second coat seals, so you can put a coat on AFTER you glitter to seal the glitter in,,,,,,

but not sure how that would work with a stamp kit,,,,,,I use it for sealing a solid glittered surface,,,

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to CommaHolly

I always have such issues with glitter, so I only use Stickles now. So much easier. Good luck though!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Amigosa

Stickles are great for small areas,,,but for larger areas, glitter can't be beat,,,,

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

There is a product that Stampin Up sells called Heat and Stick which holds great. It is used with your heat gun.

you can also top coat your glitter with mod podge glossy

jenluvs2scrap
Pro
jenluvs2scrap

I agree. I used Stickles for a large area and that took FOREVER to dry and it took a few coats for it cover completely.

Edited by jenluvs2scrap on 04-27-09 01:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jenluvs2scrap
Pro
jenluvs2scrap

Thanks everyone for you help. i will try the Mod Podge. Wish me luck.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen

I've used the mod podge over glitter, it worked well. I used the matte finish, but I think it still looked ok. I got lots of glitter on the foam brush, so I made sure not to dip in the container, iygwim...

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Dancing Queen

I put a layer of glue over the top of my glitter to seal it in. I just use normal PVA but there are all sorts of fancy ones out there you could use too

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to SuperAllyFan

Do you have a xyron sticker maker? I have the X but I also have the, I think 500. I put my piece through the xyron . Example: I have a grundge board snowflake that I wanted to add glitter to I ran it through with the top side down then poured my glitter over that. It stuck wonderfully! It hasn't flaked off at all. I then tried it with a piece of paper that I wanted to glitter and got the same great results. It's the best method I've tried for keeping glitter in it's place.

laurbernet
Idol
laurbernet

After the glue dries under the glitter, you might use a stiff paint brush ( a stipple brush) to brush away the excess. That helps a lot.

tufano79
Idol
tufano79
In response to laurbernet

I find that after I adhere the glitter...I put a coat of glossy accents or another clear acrylic medium to seal the glitter. I haven't glittered much of anything lately (been addicted to stickles) but it is the most effective.

Hugs, Josie

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Amigosa

How do you apply Stickles?

keilla
keilla 3
Veteran
keilla
In response to dotfree

You can just apply it directly onto the layout, chipboard etc. There will be a lot of clear glue in the mixture, but that dries in a few hours and you are left with the glitter (that won't move at all)

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to keilla

Thank you for your help. Do you shake the bottle first?

keilla
keilla 3
Veteran
keilla
In response to dotfree

Nope, not needed. Just make sure you store Stickles upsidedown to ensure the tip doesn't get clogged with dried glue in between uses.

JennAboo
Expert
JennAboo
In response to keilla

i actually used a spray clear coat on my glitter this evening. I guess I'll see in a couple days if it worked as well as I was hopeing. I loved all the pretty colors of glitter I bought in this set, but I think the heat embossing is even better. I bought them both the same day, so I still have to use both. Can't be wasteful. lol

CGMoon
CGMoon 
Diva
CGMoon
In response to JennAboo

Try using glossy accent or any other type of dimensional glue...I really like Judikins Diamond Glaze .

If you are using chipboard, cover the entire chipboard with your dimensional adhesive and then pour the bottle of glitter over the chipboard, making sure all areas are comletely covered with glitter. Let it dry completely. Then tap off the excess. Then you can put another layer of dimensional adhesive over the glitter...this seals it, so not a speck of glitter will come off! I use glitter in a lot of my layouts.

Come check them out:

My gallery

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to CGMoon

Or .. you could just try stickles.. like a few others have suggested They are really easy & fun to use!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics