Username Post: Recommendations for types of paper to use when embossing?        (Topic#1502813)
NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup

I'm excited to use my new Cuttlebug embossing folders, but I've noticed such a big difference between different types (and qualities) of paper when using the Cricut or just scrapping in general, I don't want to destroy too much paper during my learning curve.

Any recommendations from seasoned embossers? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to NurseButtercup

I've used everything but chipboard in mine and loved it. No problems.

I've even embossed glitter papers.

I used 3 different papers for these cards:

2008 Christmas Cards By Vivian Loves BLING

All worked great!
Products Referenced in This Post:

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Thank you so much! Those cards are just beautiful.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I want ALL the embossing folders!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'm seriously thinking about buying a cuttlebug just for the embossing,,,,,

Viv, do you think it's worth it????

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup
In response to CommaHolly

CommaHolly, it's on sale for $49.00 or so at JoAnn's right now. (Might even be less)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Oh you ENABLER YOU, Nurse Buttercup!!!!!!!!

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup

Whoops!!! Did I mention that you'll love it?! Whoops again!!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

• CommaHolly Said:

Trying to blame another one on me?

I have a Sizzix BigShot/BigKick machine. Mine is a pretty white and red one.

It does pretty much everything. It has dies that the Cuttlebug can't take so I went with the Sizzix when it was half off.

Only get into this if you're that much into embossing. Otherwise, hook up with a friend or a lss where you can use one now and then.

See? I can behave myself.

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

It does pretty much everything. It has dies that the Cuttlebug can't take so I went with the Sizzix when it was half off.

Only get into this if you're that much into embossing. Otherwise, hook up with a friend or a lss where you can use one now and then.

OOh!! Good recovery, lol!

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 04-29-09 05:45 PM

ok I'm ready to be called an enabler too or is that co-enabler?? I bought a big kick by Sizzix just cuz I wanted to emboss. I use the Cuttlebug embossing and the sizzix plates. I also love using the sizzix dies to cut paper, chipboard and felt.

Andrea

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to ekip2

My husband just surprised me with the cuttlebug as a gift two days ago. All cuttlebug stuff was half off at M's. I think I will only use it for embossing because I already have a slice. The embossing folders cost a lot loss than the dies.

NurseButtercup
Expert
NurseButtercup
In response to Crazydiamond

• Crazydiamond Said:
My husband just surprised me with the cuttlebug as a gift two days ago. All cuttlebug stuff was half off at M's. I think I will only use it for embossing because I already have a slice. The embossing folders cost a lot loss than the dies.

They sure do cost less than the dies! They are also on sale at JoAnn's - most of them are $2.99, I believe. The JoAnn's by me doesn't have them but they can be ordered online. I think it's free shipping for any order over $35.00, too.

Did I just enable again! Sorry!

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz
In response to ekip2

Bazzill has never led me wrong for embossing or die cuts, American Crafts is great as well, just be sure you have color core unless you want the white to come up, if thats the look you are going for, otherwise color core cardstock from either of these two is the best!

keilla
keilla 
Veteran
keilla
In response to JaymieLiz

I used my cuttlebug embossing folders (in the Sizzix Bigshot) today to emboss Tim Holtz 's grungeboard -- wasn't sure how it would come out because they are really thick, but the results were amazing.

I even tried one of the smaller folders on a photo to accent the corner - that turned out well too.

Any cardstock that is dyed all the way though seems to work very well. If you use a cardstock that is white in the middle, it will have more of a sanded/crackle look after it's embossed. I practice on scraps before trying it on the real thing, which really helps to cut down on any possible mistakes.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to keilla

I just embossed for the first time this weekend. I used the Sizzix Sidekick and Cardstock. It came out really nice.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

what are friends for, Viv????????

sheesh,,,,,,and I think I might get hooked on embossing,,,,I really LOVE my embossed paper, and find myself cutting it up for all kinds of things,,,,I love to cut flowers out of it and then ink them for an interesting look,,,,,sooooooo I think I'd really like it And I think it would be AWESOME for cardmaking

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 04-29-09 11:03 PM

uhm!!!I got the cuttlebug on january and to be honest I didnt like it until I tried embossing the grungeboard letters and numbers and....now I loooove it!!! but just because of that.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• CommaHolly Said:
[
what are friends for, Viv????????

sheesh,,,,,,and I think I might get hooked on embossing,,,,I really LOVE my embossed paper, and find myself cutting it up for all kinds of things,,,,I love to cut flowers out of it and then ink them for an interesting look,,,,,sooooooo I think I'd really like it And I think it would be AWESOME for cardmaking

Holly, you will LOVE the cuttlebug for card making! Not only for the embossing which is so much fun but you can use it with Spellbinders dies too! Awesome for card making!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics