Page 1 of 11 
Username Post: Teach a Friend to Scrapbook CONTEST and DRAWING!        (Topic#1503077)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-01-09 04:11 PM

Scrapbook.com is hosting a MONTH-LONG promotional event and drawing in honor of Teach a Friend to Scrapbook Month.

Here’s the gist:

Nearly every scrapbooker has at one time taught a friend to scrapbook! If you’ve taught a friend in the past or want to teach a friend this month, we want to hear your story. By providing it in the required manner, you’ll automatically be entered into a drawing to win some fantastic stuff (read on for details)!

There are two ways to enter:

1. Upload a layout to the Scrapbook.com gallery anytime throughout the month of May 2009. LINK or EMBED it directly on this thread. This layout must feature photos of you and the person you’ve taught to scrapbook. Now, you may or may not have photographed the actual act of teaching your friend, but you likely have a photo of your friend from another time and place (just use that!) Journal about the experience of teaching your friend! What were the emotions you both felt? Was there something priceless about the experience? Was it funny or memorable in some way? What did your friend naturally know to do, and what perplexed them? Were they excited to begin and perhaps to teach someone else?

2. Tell us your story! Simply journal your experience teaching a friend to scrapbook, right here on this thread. Tell us where you were… a crop, your home, her home, etc. Tell us where you started, how you broke the scrapbooking process down into smaller, more understandable parts, etc. Describe the excitement or enthusiasm for you, and for your friend. Tell us what you discovered about Scrapbooking during the teaching process… did you have any epiphanies? SHARE with us your experience of teaching a friend to scrapbook in 2-3 short paragraphs.

The Prizes:

Four (4) winners will be chosen at random after the end of the promotional period. Each winner will receive a $100 Gift Certificate to the Scrapbook.com Superstore for THEMSELVES, and that same winner will receive a Scrapbooking Tote STUFFED with supplies valued at more than $150 for their FRIEND. Winners will be notified no later than June 30, 2009. Winners will be announced no later than July 31, 2009.

Here are the rules (shortened): Click here for official rules and details!

-No purchase necessary. Purchase does not increase your chance of winning. No layout upload or journal story required for entry.
-You may enter once a day for the next thirty-one (31) days (Contest period begins May 1, 2009 and ends May 31, 2009 at midnight PST).
-Your layout and/or journaling must be about a different experience each time you enter.
-Duplicate entries will be disqualified.
-Winners are chosen by way of random drawing.
-Odds of winning varies and is based on number of eligible entries received.
-For entry and official rules write to Teach A Friend to Scrapbook Drawing, c/o Scrapbook.com, 6024 E. Main St., Mesa, AZ 85205.
-Void where prohibited. Sponsored by Scrapbook.com.
- Click here for official rules.

UPDATE!

And the WINNERS are:

Diva Scraps
Gr82BAnAUTiger
charlottemd
ScrappE

Congratulations Ladies - your prizes are on the way!! Thank you for being an ambassador for scrapbooking

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to Kels

"I am so bored," she said, "I told my husband let's just go home." We were all spending the winter in south Texas and were becoming good friends with this couple from Pennsylvania.

So I said let me show you what I do before I get bored. We made paper bag albums, went to the scrapbook store , and learned about photos, embellishments, and af/lf. Then we learned about wire words, fonts, and journaling. Adhesives and patterned paper came next, and just before time to go home, her granddaughter had a birthday. Surprise!!!

And end of summer, she sent me a personal pba, used everything I had shown her, and included photos of us as well. The last page was a thank you note from she and her husband. He said I had saved their winter vacation! And she is still scrapbooking.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to Kels

"I am so bored," she said, "I told my husband let's just go home." We were all spending the winter in south Texas and were becoming good friends with this couple from Pennsylvania.
So I said let me show you what I do before I get bored. We made paper bag albums, went to the scrapbook store , and learned about photos, embellishments, and af/lf. Then we learned about wire words, fonts, and journaling. Adhesives and patterned paper came next, and just before time to go home, her granddaughter had a birthday. Surprise!!!
And by the end of summer, she sent me a personal pba, used everything I had shown her, and included photos of us as well. The last page was a thank you note from she and her husband. He said I had saved their winter vacation!

Edited by okiegrandma on 05-01-09 06:49 PM. Reason for edit: Sorry for the double post - okie

KittyMama
Mayor
KittyMama
In response to okiegrandma

My friend Lynda was working on a very cool "All About Me" album. A few of us absolutely loved it and talked her into teaching it as a class at our LSS, where she already had a monthly teen class. One of the people that joined us was Melanie, new to scrapping, and eager to learn. However, none of us realized at first that she was a beginner; she was such a fast learner!!

My friends and I just loved her, so we invited her to join our monthly crop group. We showed her all the various tools we had (and between the 8 of us, we have a LOT of tools!!). One of her first projects was to make mini albums for her daughter and nieces and nephews - a pretty ambitious project for a newbie!! It was fun, seeing how her pages took shape and giving her suggestions for different things to try. And now she's at the head of the class, being one of the first in our group to really get into digital scrapping.

One of the interesting things was seeing myself in her. I've only been scrapping a couple years longer than she has, and we have the same need for perfection. I've told her "it's ok, it doesn't have to be perfect" enough times that it's starting to sink in for me too.

Edited by KittyMama on 05-01-09 08:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mystyle
Idol
mystyle
In response to KittyMama

Wow what a fantastic thing to scrap about and awesome prize too!

Gamma Rena
Diva
Gamma Rena
In response to mystyle

I did teach a friend and I did get a picture! Now to scrap it!

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 05-02-09 07:15 PM
In response to Gamma Rena

It all started about 6 weeks ago, when my son called....he said that he NEEDED me to come down to Tucson and meet his new girlfriend. They had been dating for awhile, but after she saw the scrapbook I had made for him, she had been bugging him..so I NEEDED to come right away, and bring more things for her to see.
In the meantime I made her a journal, and bought a photo box for her.
The day we met, we went shopping to get her some supplies, and the next day we did her very first LO...she is Hooked!
I live 120 miles away, so being with her is no easy feat....but, I have been making time...it's not alot for her, but she is doing great. She has signed on here, and signed up for Coupons for shopping, and she definatley has the shopping part down.
Last weekend my son brought her up here, and I introduced her to the Cricut and the Cuttlebug. She calls them Miracle Machines.
Tomorrow I am going down again, she wants to learn Alcohol Inks...I tried to tell her to wait on that, but she went and bought everything, her way of letting me know , that she will not wait!
I'm anxious to see what she will create with them.
I will get a picture of us tomorrow for the challenge.
Masha is from Russia....understanding isn't always easy, but with a little patience, I'm sure we will get there eventually. It is certainly fun, and I'm enjoying all the time I can get with her.

jcreichert71
Veteran
jcreichert71
In response to rtay

Can't wait to get started... I just e-mailed by best friend and we are in it to win it!

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories
In response to jcreichert71

It all started with me wanting to go to a scrapbook show. I had nobody to go with and DH (not marred at the time) was so not going to do it. His mother an art teacher had never tried scrapbooking. I told her I would pay for the ticket if she went with me. A few weeks later there we were. I spent the day pointing out albums and paper and tools. I said oh you could do one of this or oh you could scrapbook that. Slowly through out the day she would make a purchase here and a purchase there. She was definately hooked on the shopping part. It wasnt till she got the call that she had won the major door prize though that I think she was really hooked. It has been so much fun to see her get into something I have always loved. I wasnt always the best at it and actually I have learned a lot by watching how she aplies her knowledge of art to the pages she creates so I guess in a way we have both tought each other to scrapbook

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to northernmemories

I may only have time to upload a story of teaching my boyfriend to scrapbook, so I will do that later. Just in case I have time to do a layout, though, I told my boyfriend last night we will have to take a picture of the event. He said, "And I'll pose like this." Well, lets just say it's cheesy and I'm sure you ladies will laugh. :)

olliebelle20
Expert
olliebelle20
In response to ScrappE

mine story is a bit more difficult than everyone else's stories. my best friend has expressed an intrest in learning how to scrap. well she lives in chicago and i live in atlanta. so what we are doing is teaching by email and mail. last month i sent her a starter pack of supplies. then i emailed her step by step pictures. i made a few sample layouts for her to have with the starter pack. the step by step pictures showed everything from choosing paper to photos all the way to journaling if desired. it has been kind of hard to doby email and mail, but i think she is getting the hang of it. i'm not sure if she will stick with it though because she is very busy with work. we will see though.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Kels

(As seen below) This is a the very 'first official LO' created by my youngest daughter from NSBD this past Saturday. Earlier this year, she had asked me (what every scrapper mom out there wants to hear)...'Mommy, when can I start scrapbooking?' On that note, when NSBD came around...and my daughter took in the Big Picture of what exactly was going on...once again said, 'I'd really like to scrapbook Mommy!...Pleeze!'

In that very moment, this Mom sat down and became Teacher & my dear young daughter became the student! Within that one precious hour, not only seeing what she made with her own 2 litttle hands, but also watching her wide-eyed, excited & tickled with delight...let's just say this Momma's heart couldn't be any bigger or prouder!

In-Process Photo

This Is Me Scrapping By KellyCali

The Results!

This Is Me By KellyCali

Noli1980
Diva
Noli1980
In response to KellyCali

I have gotten quit a few of my friends scrappin, but this is my Fav. hehe My friend had been over to my house looking at my Sb and she was like " Man, I wish I could do that, but I just don't know how". So I was like just like come over to the house, all you have to do is bring your pics over and I will give you all the materials you need. I was so exicted when she said she would come over. I love people to come over and scrap. That weekend she came out. It was so much fun. I loved showing her how easy it is to put your memories on paper. The most fun part of it was I was just as inspired by her creations as she was my mine.

The first thing I did is have her layout the pic she wanted to use. Once we looked at the pics I showed her a stack of cardstock to pic from. Once she found some card stock I then gave her some of my pp that would go Fantastic with her pics too. She was so excited. She was like umm am I done? I was like NO.. The fun Begins..

Then I took out my huge collection of embellishments for her to pick from. Before we knew it her page was done and she was hooked on it. Now she is in love with capturing her dds memories.

Thank you for the opppertunity to share my scrappin experience with yall.

Edited by charlottemd on 05-06-09 05:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to Noli1980

What a fun contest!

The friend I got hooked on scrapping was a childhood friend when we were 11 and whom I had lost touch with since, (it has been 39 years). In January my mom called me and told me she had been in touch with this friend's mother and gave my phone number to her. Before I knew it Audrey and I were in touch and in April 09, I was on a plane to Florida to renew my friendship with her.

Once we got started chatting it was as if we had never been apart! I told her about my love of scrapbooking, logged on to sb.com to show her my gallery, and that was about all it took to peak her interest! I had a few days left with her and told her I would teach her and her daughter Tabby some things to get them started so what we did next was SHOP! We got all sorts of items for them to start with. Audrey and Tabby were like kids in a candy store while selecting all their goodies!

We came home and went to town! I tried squeezing in as many "how-to's" as I possibly could. Audrey started with cards and Tabby made a mini book for a baby shower she will be attending. It was so exhilarating to watch their excitement with each new technique I showed them and I know they are hooked for life! Since I have rarely scrap booked with anyone, it was really nice to see their thought process while putting their projects together. During this entire process I realized that I love teaching scrap booking!

The past few times I have spoken to Audrey on the phone she has told me she and Tabby went out to get more supplies! lol! And she has been asking me for how to's over the phone which is quite difficult! Thank goodness there are plenty tutorials here at sb.com to link her to!

Below is the picture of Tabby working on her mini album while mom Audrey observes the techniques!

*~* Teaching my friends to scrap *~* By Gg Loves Matthew

*~* Teaching my friends to scrap *~* By Gg Loves Matthew

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories
In response to gg loves Matthew

I love reading all these stories!
I will be back to post my new story for the day

Noli1980
Diva
Noli1980

Hi, all here is my story for the day.

I have been teaching my DD how to scrapbook. I love showing her new things she can do. The very first time I got her to scrapbook she was in love. Madison loves pics of herself so putting shapes and glitter and do das on a paper is right up her alley.

We put everything she had on the table then I filled in with some of my stuff and she was off. She loves putting her pics on a paper. I love how she is not afraid to have it not quit straight or to add a different color than I would normally tried. Madison is naturally creative. (I don't know where she gets that from. hehe) Before we knew it she was done and had completed her very first page. Now she scraps with me everytime I get my goodies out she quickly gets hers out as well.

Scrapbooking has been a great experience to keep my dd and I close. I love sitting there with her watching her mature into a very creative young lady. I hope this is something that sticks with her everyday for the rest of her life.

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories
In response to Noli1980

well I never got back my DD was in urgent care again she has strep again so I was dealing with that... I met my friend Alissa at a CM crop/party I was having she was a friend of a friend and had never scrapbooked before. That night I started her on a very simple page about one of her horses and that was it. She had so much fun she returned again and again to my crops. I even went to her house a couple times just to scrap from there we became great friends and even though I dont see her much in the winter, she works the dairy farm and I am busy teaching summer weekends are spent at the lake taking pictures and creating more memories to scrapbook. I am so glad that scrapbooking has brought us together as friends.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

My best friend, from high school, expressed an interest in scrapbooking. I knew Sandy would be good at it because she is an amazing artist. She uses all sorts of medium: canvas, neon, pottery, paper, paints, charcoal, scrimshaw, carving, jewelry, and the list goes on. I was really intimidated to be teacher HER how to do anything artistic.

One day I was at a store and found a scrapbook kit that had the perfect combination of embellishments, papers, colors, etc. for her. I knew she wanted to do a memory book of her late brother, and I knew it would be difficult. It was something that we could defintely do together. Imagine my surprise when I had to walk her through each and every step: trimming, adhering, embellishing, etc. I thought she would just whip through it, but that wasn't the case. It was fun holding Sandy's "hand" through the process. It was a unique way for me to share the one artistic thing that I do with the most artistic person I know!

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to Luvmyfam

My sister-in-law has been scrapbooking since last fall, and like me until I found this site, doesn't know those spiffy techniques that sb.com members have so readily shared with everyone. Yet, she still does a really nice job on all her layouts, and is able to display her pictures and memories in a really nice way.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I paid for my sister-in-law to go to her first crop and showed her some new ideas while I worked on my own scrapbook. While she struggled with a page here and there, I showed her what I did on one of my layouts and explained in detail how I did it (such as weaving). I was excited to share the ideas with her, but didn't want her to think that her ideas were inferior, so I continuously told her what I liked about her layouts as well when she finished them.

At the end of the crop, she took my ideas and turned them into her own, very proud of the work that she did. And, the following week, she showed me a couple pages she did with different paper weaves (which SHE explained to ME). She said that her husband (my brother) told her it was really neat, and she told him that she stole it from me. I explained to her that it's called "scraplifting."

So now it's my turn to be proud!

niknaxx
Resident
niknaxx
In response to ScrappE

My best friend/apartment manager is coming up on her one year wedding anniversary and throughout the year her husband has been nagging about their wedding pictures needing to go into a photo album. I began talking to her about scrapbooking. It was my plan to make them a wedding album for the anniversary but instead decided to convince her to make an album for him doing one up on the photo album. I pulled out an album of mine, gave her an idea of what I was talking about. She thought that would be a GREAT idea and JUST the perfect gift. Sooooo.... I figured I had probably dig more of my scrapbooking supplies out of their storage (I have just recently started back into scrapping after moving 3 times).

Being that she is my apartment manager she saw me dragging the CIS XXL and 2 Costco bags full of stuff up to my apartment and she asked what all of this stuff was. I told her all of my scrapbooking supplies (lol, I lied, there is FAR more still packed up but didn't want her to think I was a crazy lady). She said "I need all of THIS to make a book?!?!" I started laughing - said no this is the syndrome in which we all get... accumulation

I gave her some instructions: pick some pictures that you would like to capture memories with - the ones that you feel tell the story the best, at the store she picked out some pattern paper, stickers, cardstock and other embellishments. When we sat down, showed her a bit of what and how to do.. and off she went.

She has been at my apartment on a weekly basis working on this book. She is 20 pages into it and a little over half way through. She has progressed into quite the little scrapbooker. Now she is talking about where she can set up a desk and work on future projects in her apartment.

Page 1 of 11 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics