Username Post: Best Ink Pad Brand        (Topic#1503517)
AshleyStephens888
Veteran
AshleyStephens888

I'm relatively new to scrapbooking and am building up my supplies while my husband is still in general acceptance of my spending money... =)
What's the best brand of ink pad out there? I'm thinking for clear stamps and just general inking paper for cool looks.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AshleyStephens888 on 05-04-09 06:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-04-09 08:14 AM
In response to AshleyStephens888

I'm new to scrapping and stamping but the only ink I've ever bought is Staz On. It works great and is waterproof so you can color in the design. You can also use Staz On to ink other surfaces, though I've only used it on paper.

I'm sure lots of other ink brands work fine. That's just the only one I've tried.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 05-04-09 09:21 AM
In response to IzzyB

It depends on what you want to use it for StazOn and Adirondack inks are really good for just stamping. If you want to use inks for distressing I would suggest Tim Holtz Distress inks. They also work really well for stamping.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 05-04-09 11:55 AM
In response to CASBa

I love the Tim Holtz Distress inks made by Ranger,
but equally love the Adirondack inks also made by Ranger!

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 05-04-09 11:59 AM
In response to Foamy

Staz on and Tim Holtz !!!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to naf

I love the dew drops...

CranberryRedRoses
Veteran
CranberryRedRoses
In response to mjmone

Ditto for the Dew Drops!!!!!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to CranberryRedRoses

If what you are looking for is a good paper stamp, I would start with either a dye or pigment (Dew Drops - a brand I have not tried - fall into this latter category). The main difference between the two... dye ink is faster drying and tends to be waterproof... works well with liquid glazes and watercolor markers etc... without smearing. Pigment inks tend to dry slower but are really useful for projects like heat embossing.

Of course I haven't used a lot of other types. I have no knowledge of the Adirondack (alcohol type ink) brand at all.

Two concerns I have heard (in other threads here) about Staz On and Distress (when used with clear stamps)....

Staz On (Permanent Ink) - I have NOT actually used this ink but am very interested in doing so soon - is designed to print on glossy surfaces like photos, glass, metal, wood etc. As such, it sinks into the material very well. It will stain your clear stamps (of course so have some of my dye and pigment inks too). This should not effect the future stamp images in any other way though since the color will not still transfer after you clean it but it is something to consider. I have also heard though that the special cleaner for this type of ink, should not be used on clear stamps since IT may damage them.

Distress Ink (Dye Ink) when used with clear stamps has also raised some concerns in some threads here. It tends to bead a little bit on these stamps. I have used this on my clear stamps and gotten an a nice image... but it isn't going to be quite as perfect and sharp as some other types.

I know I didn't help by listing any specific brands but I hope it narrows down what type you are looking for some... and yes, there are even a few more types of ink pads...

WELUVSTANGS
Tenant
WELUVSTANGS
In response to KatieJo

I've got several different inks, but my favorite are Palette inks by far. They work wonderfully on both rubber and clear stamps. I get a crisp image which dries quickly. I'm hoping to collect as many as I can..I just love them!

AshleyStephens888
Veteran
AshleyStephens888
In response to KatieJo

Thanks very much for your advice all! There certainly is a lot more to consider than I would have thought... I suppose jumping right in with a couple different types seems to be the best choice and then see how it goes.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 05-06-09 11:35 AM
In response to AshleyStephens888

I have a lot of Stampin' Up ink. I really like it. I also have some Staz-On, but don't seem to use it as much. I also have some of the ink pads from Wal-Mart and black is the only one I like. The other colors don't seem to show up very good. I also have a couple of pads from Hobby Lobby that came in an alpha set...they were awful!

I would definitely suggest staying with a more "name" brand when it comes to ink. My go to for everything??? Chocolate Chip by Stampin' Up. I use that one more than any other color.

Cindy M
Pro
Cindy M
In response to LeeLo

These are the stamps I currently use and love!
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to Cindy M

I like the staz on, Tim Holtz (Ranger) and the colorbox chalk ink

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to KatieJo

I have also read that the special cleaner for Staz On ink will break down you clear stamps. I'd really like to try it, but I've decided it's not worth damaging my stamps.

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to Pawz94

Color box is the best for pigment ink stamp pads. I have had some of my boxes for 6 yrs & I use a reinker to refill my box. It saves money in the long run,U buy cheap ink pads U get what U buy.
I 'm now have 3 Verafine stamp pads for detailed stamps. The pads are worth the extra money if U stamp alot. They work good on embossing fine details.
Stazon On is for glossy surfaces not c/sk
Distress pads are good for distressing & Vintage looks.
I really like the Dew Drops for using along the edges of my cards & for stamping the little clear stamps. I prefer them over the Cat's Eyes. I have had to reglue the pads down on my Quad stack,the cardstock tears up the foam pad. The DEw Drop pad is stiffer & doesn't tear. I also luv the color selection. I don't get ink on my cards now I don't have to use my full size pad for my cards edges.
If stamping for general purpose,go w/ a pigment ink. It will give U a brighter image. The chalk ones give U a pastel look. Use a coupon to buy them to save money. I had one for both Michael's& HBL got pads I needed for my July 4th project's.My DD gave 2 stes of Dew Drops for Mother's Day gift I can play w/ my new toys!!! grandmabear

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to Pawz94

• Pawz94 Said:
I have also read that the special cleaner for Staz On ink will break down you clear stamps. I'd really like to try it, but I've decided it's not worth damaging my stamps.

I am vaguely remembering another post that people talked about cleaning their clear stamps though... was it with baby wipes?...

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to ScrappE

Baby wipes are good for cleaning the clear stamps. Make sure U clean them right after U finish stamping w/ them since they're clear they can get lost on UR table. I accidently threw one away in the trash in a wipe, so make sure U remounted back on the clear sheet.

DorrieR
Resident
DorrieR
In response to grandmabear

This post was so helpful!! I have used a couple of brands, I am not sure if they are just local or not, Once is ColorBox and the other is Ink It Up! I love the ColorBox. I have it in black and purple. I have liked the results. The Ink It Up! is good but it tends to spred onto everything. I just recieved an order and it has "studio g" pigment ink. I haven't tried them yet.
The information that KatieJo offered was great. I was so confused about the different types of inks. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to DorrieR

Did U find my comment on the other types ink that Kato hasn't used. I've been trying new types this spring as I have gotten out some of my stamps & had new clear stamps to use.
I 'm sold on the Dew Drops. I'm not buying any more Cat Eyes!! The pad came off when I was doing the edge of a July 4th card. I ended up w/blue fingers. I have had to reglue alot of their pads back on. The regular Color Box pads I have had no problem with just the Cat Eyes pads.
I'm sold on the Verafine pads for fine detailed stamps & for embossing w/ the fine powder. It's really picking up the details on my detailed stamps.
I really like the Vintage look I'm getting on my July 4th cards w/the Ranger Brick Red,Denim & the Walnut ink ones. They are adding a very distinct look to the Vintage c/art I found.
I have also chalked over both the Verafine & the Stazon black ink w/excellent results.
Hope this helps U.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to grandmabear

Whatever ink you decide on, do treat your clear stamps before you use them and you'll get sharper images. You can do this by running a white eraser over them, or even rubbing them on your jeans. It removes the film that's on the stamps and which can cause the ink to ball up.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics