Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: ACKKKKKK OH NOOOOO!!!!        (Topic#1504269)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

HELP!!!!!!!

I started a mini album for a pregnant girl at my work,,,she's having a baby shower in early June and I wanted to make her a hand made album (she does not scrap),,,,I know she lovvvvvvves my mini albums because she's commented on how beautiful they are when I've brought them to work to work on them, so I thought I was pretty safe,,,,Originally I thought to make her an 8x8, but she realllllllly loves the little 6x6's that I do with all the pockets and tags, so readjust thinking, and I started the album,,,,

Here is the problem,,,,she told us a month ago she was having a BOY,,,,,,

I know she loves the Safari theme, so I went out and bought some papers, am using DCWV Animal crackers and some other embellies for alot of this album,,and it's turning out darling,,,,

However, NOW she's saying that she's not 100% POSITIVE she's having a boy,,,she hopes to have another ultrasound before the shower!!!!!

OK, so I thought no problem,,,,I'll go with some of the papers that are more unisex within that animal crackers stack (polka dots, monkeys, etc),,,,but now I've got people telling me that no WAY is that stack unisex, and the very THEME of "safari" is totally a boy's theme,,,,

Now I haven't had a baby in some 18 years, but I wouldn't think twice about having a safari theme for a girl,,,,but I've had 3 people tell me the whole theme is just too "boy",,,,

My question: (sorry for being long winded, but I'm a bit panicked here)

Do I skip the safari theme altogether and go with something yellow and green??? Or do you (especially those with young children) think that safari is perfectly fine,,,

I could wait,,,,no major rush yet, I suppose, though I would like time to shop for embellies a bit more,,,,I could always do an album the week before her shower,,,I just don't know,,,,

any thoughts???

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

I've also been eyeing some safari kids stack at Michaels, not in the super store here, so I can't post it,,,,,but I'm not sure that's appropriate either!!! I haven't bought it yet though,,,

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 05-11-09 08:42 PM

Holly have you seen this one?? its not too baby-ish (I dont like baby-ish LO's for my boys) anyway but this looks more for boy and girl
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to naf

that is a cute line Naf,,,,Honestly, I'm glad I haven't bought too much,,,,just a few papers because I had most of the animal crackers stack as it was,,,,,whew,,,,so no major loss there,,,,

might hae to check into that Sassafras lass,,,

sigh,,,this is what I get for not planning just to do yellow and green to start!!!! In a regular size album, I'd just make a few more feminine embellies, maybe some punch flowers, etc,,,but with a small album, I dunno if many will fit!!!

I'm going to check that line out and see if anywhere has pics of the different pages,,,,the pic here is kinda small, but it does look really cute Thanks Naf!

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

Personally, I think Safari theme is ok for girls too.. but then I'm also someone who likes using green and blue (maybe + purple) on a girl's page! But I think cute little animals are associated with babies so it's fine either way?

I saw that Safari girl line at Ms too (is it by DCWV)?

Since she's not sure if it's a boy or girl, maybe you can select the more neutral coloured pp and embellies, and then give her a set of boy rub-ons and a set of girl rub-ons to add on to the pages so she can customize it after the baby is born.

... Or if you can wait till the baby is born, then you can add some extra girl embellies/rub-ons in case baby is a girl....

Holly.. have you seen those Cuttlekids animal die-cuts? I have the monkey, the lion, and the elephant. If you need me to make you a few of those.. let me know. I can make them in different colours...

OR stamps can work too.. you can stamp them on any coloured cs so you can make the 'boy' or 'girl' ...
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jellyziva

oh how cute are those stamps??

Yes the Safari kids is from DCWV,,,I've been eyeing it, but I'm going to take a better look this week I've really only got a couple weeks to finish this,,,,,,,so I have to decide what to do!!!!!! thanks for your input!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Oh and thankyou for the offer!!!!! My gs has the cuttlekids and I think he has a few animal dies that I can take advantage of, but I do thankyou for the offer!!!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I say do it! If it is a girl and YOU think some of the pages are too boyish, these could daddy/dd pages or you could switch those out entirely.

Back in January I did a boy's and a girl's first year albums at the same time. Was told my friend was having a boy but since I had the kits for both, I made them at the same time. It was a back up just in case.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I did my baby's room in a jungle theme - we were fairly certain she was a girl - but just in case we did the jungle theme - so I say it's okay. I'm sure she will love anything that you make!!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to SmartyPants

I say stick with the safari ... it's totally cute and while it may seem more "boyish" than girly because it's not pink and frilly, it's still SUPER-CUTE for a baby!

And who knows, it might just be nerves with the sex of the baby ... i.e. the doctor may have told her he was pretty sure it was a boy but couldn't be 100% and now she is second guessing ... that's happened to a couple of my friends!

Regardless of what you use, I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful album - can't wait to see it!

Veteran
In response to SmartyPants

If it turns out to be a girl maybe you could add some pink glittered elephants, etc. to make it look more girly. Or maybe add some stickles and pink and purple to your titles. I have seen some animals like that but can't remember who made them sorry. Hope that helps.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to peenut_23

• peenut_23 Said:
I say stick with the safari ... it's totally cute and while it may seem more "boyish" than girly because it's not pink and frilly, it's still SUPER-CUTE for a baby!

And who knows, it might just be nerves with the sex of the baby ... i.e. the doctor may have told her he was pretty sure it was a boy but couldn't be 100% and now she is second guessing ... that's happened to a couple of my friends!

Regardless of what you use, I'm sure it's going to be a beautiful album - can't wait to see it!

that's exactly what's going on,,,,,,,

and I sure hope she has a boy because from what everyone else is saying, they ALL BOUGHT BLUE!!!!!!!! Of course, those things could be returned, but mine can't be!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK,,,,am going with the Safari theme,,,,but going to try and use the more unisex papers!!!!! Nothing OVERTLY boy,,,,

I had actually thought of making a page or two with more than one mat,,,,,,,and not gluing them down,,,,,and giving them both to her,,,,,and some Glue Dots ,,,,and when she has the baby, she could put the mats down herself,,,,there's some papers in there, leaves I believe, that there's one blue page and one pink page,,,,I could make the mats out of those, and let her put down the correct mat, just leaving a space for it,,,,or offering to do it for her after the baby is born,,,,

I dunno,,,,,we'll see what I eventually come up with!!!!! But I'm going to check out other safari themed papers besideds DCWV now,,,,,,oy,,,,thanks for the suggestions

euphrasyne
Tenant
euphrasyne

I disagree that safari is a boy theme. We did yellow and green with safari animals on everything for my first daughter. We had a chair rail height wall border, lion & leopard pillows, elephant lamps, blankets, etc. all in that theme.

cheryl

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to euphrasyne

Who says safari style is for boys? Our receptionist at work is having a girl and the room decor is Jungle Tales by Nojo.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to sbartist

well see now Ladies, that is what *I* thought,,,,,,and if she loves that theme, then who am I or anyone else to question her!!!!!!! Thankyou!!!!!!

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana

If she likes safari , I wouldn't worry!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam

I say go ahead with what youre doing!

A. It is probably a boy
B. Safari is cute period
C. This is not the only book she will have and I guarantee she will have pitures that are perfect for it...boy or girl!

your work is fab she will love it no matter what!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to melissadam

My daughter and son-in-law like surprises, so for both babies they asked the doctor not to tell them the sex. They decorated the nursery in the Noah's Ark theme. Animals are for everyone! Don't boys get stuffed animals, too?

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to melissadam

Sounds like you're going to go with Safari; and I would have been another one to say it's perfectly fine for a girl. Then again, I have this thing about intentionally keeping certain themes and toys strictly to boys or girls. Why limit their possibilities?!

DH may cringe one day if DS comes home with a Barbie doll but that's on him.

Oh, and I'll also agree that she's likely just really nervous and she's likely having a boy. Toward the end of my pregnancy, I felt like that because I started to really want a boy as my first child and everything was already set in my mind to be the mother of a boy... who is allowed to play with Barbies.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics