Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: UGH...Someone PLEASE give me the secret!!!        (Topic#1504403)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I am pulling my hair out! I spent an hour last night trying to MATCH pp to use on a LO. I see tons of LOs in the gallery with multiple pieces of pp on them, they look gorgeous, but every time I try to do it, it looks like a jumbled up mess of chaos!!! I went to bed frustrated over this!! I literally have hundreds and hundreds of pieces of pp in my drawers and for the life of me, I can't use more than one piece of PP and one piece of plain cardstock on a page and it is BORING me!!!!

So, I have decided that there must be a secret to this...and you people who know what it is (you know who you are), need to let the rest of us, at least me, in on this secret.

How do you match pp and how do you use multiple pieces of pp on a LO?

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to StarsNSparkles

I just go through my PPs and sometimes it jumps out...but if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...LSS also usually displays PPs that go together...Just do it!...I'm sure you are being too hard on yourself!!!

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to melissadam

I have stacks too so all the paper coordinates together and you just add cardstock!

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss

I don't think there is a secret, if there is I don't know it! You can check out my gallery, the most recent one I just uploaded has 3, kinda 4 pp, the Wedding Photo one. I struggle with this two, it actually took me 2 days to get the pp for this lo and I found it by mistake. I laid the photo down on the pink one in frustration and liked the way it looked. Another trick I used on that one is to ink down the paper to mute the patterns a little. I also have one on there, State Fair. To some people it may seem like a jumbled mess but I like it.

Most of the time I would go with one stronger pattern and then 1 or 2 more subtle patterns with similar or complementary colors. The paper packs help me because at least I know that all the colors match...Sometimes the paper works but you need more of this one and less of that one, just play around with the amount of paper. Try to take the stronger pp and use it sparingly and then use the others more boldly...you can get use to the mix of papers that way! Good luck!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to melissadam

• melissadam Said:
...if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...

I agree & testify that this is a great tip!

Coordinating PP Stacks totally take out the guess work & are a fantastic way to begin.

Not soon after, I'm sure you'll be mixing or mix-matching papers left & right, on your own & in no time...you'll be a pro!

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Scrapingbliss

I was also going to suggest buying multiple papers from the same paper lines--that way it takes the guess work out cause they are made to coordinate with each other.

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to Renee77

I can relate to what you are saying!! I know that stacks help since they coordinate.... but I also see work that people have done that use different manufacturers and different lines - and they look so nice. I don't seem to get the same look very easily. I'm ALWAYS questioning myself "does this really go?"

I think we are being too hard on ourselves. Perhaps we should challenge ourselves to just do it! Maybe next time you scrap just say "I'm going to use x different papers on this page" where x= a number that you are comfortable with. And then the next time, increase it by one.

Maybe using small pieces of different papers at first will help too.

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to scrappycath

Stephanie,

First let me say that I really like your lay-outs! That Lions, Tigers one is adorable and I like "My Prom Dress" too. You are doing some good work there!

When I first started scrapping I had something from Creative Memories called a "Color Wheel" it showed you what colors went with other colors. It was very helpful. You might be able to get one on-line or even at a paint store.

I think you are doing just great! Your colors look wonderful to me!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • melissadam Said:
...if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...

I agree & testify that this is a great tip!

Coordinating PP Stacks totally take out the guess work & are a fantastic way to begin.

Not soon after, I'm sure you'll be mixing or mix-matching papers left & right, on your own & in no time...you'll be a pro!

This is what I have and this is what I'm TRYING to do, but it isn't working for me. I know they go together but they aren't going together. lol!!! I'm working with the Fancy Pants Papa Collection kit...I know MOST of the problem is that these papers are way not my style, but I'm trying to branch out and try something different, so just the colors are making it hard.
Products Referenced in This Post:

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Matthews Wife

• Matthews Wife Said:
Stephanie,

First let me say that I really like your lay-outs! That Lions, Tigers one is adorable and I like "My Prom Dress" too. You are doing some good work there!

When I first started scrapping I had something from Creative Memories called a "Color Wheel" it showed you what colors went with other colors. It was very helpful. You might be able to get one on-line or even at a paint store.

I think you are doing just great! Your colors look wonderful to me!

You are too kind!! Thank you very much though, you have lifted my spirits and I might decide to not pull out all of my hair!!! Thanks though!

glensgirl
Idol
glensgirl

I struggle really hard with the pp combo's too. Even in those packs it makes me crazy and I feel like I can't do it "right".

When I do multiple pp I usually start off with small pieces and then keep on building - aka throwing them on the paper - and if I hate it, I just take 'em off and stick to my normal 1 or 2 pp's schemes.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Matthews Wife

I don't have too much problem finding the papers but I have problems layering them...I start out layering but always end up pulling the layers off thinking I've made the layout too junky...others can layer beautifully but it scares me. I think because I am basically a simple scrapper. The paper stack idea is great. They all have bold patterns mixed with coordinating subtle or smaller patterns....perfect for layering..(I have so many pieces of cut up and inked "layers" that didn't get used laying around). I think Melissadams idea was good...JUST DO IT.

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey
In response to dollscrap

Hee hee I use to be the same way. LOL now I just kind of throw stuff together until I see something I like

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to dollscrap

there was a book by Ali Edwards, A Designer Eye
Scrapbooking with patterned paper , that may help as a springboard and give you ideas.

but I know what you mean,
I just looked at a layout in a magazine, pp by 4 diff manufacturers, and just wondered HOW did she do that?

mama~kat
Pro
mama~kat
In response to dollscrap

Your layouts are gorgeous!

But I know where you're coming from. My default style is 1 pp w/ cs mats, and I've had to work on branching out.

I definitely advocate buying pp stacks, or buying several pps from the same line.

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to mama~kat

I used to be so scared of patterned paper and mixing them. I started only using collections and stacks, now I have no fear of it. Just jump into in and use at least 4 different patterned paper s on your next layout. It will help, I promise! I was given that challenge, did it and it really changed how I looked at paper.

Noelle311
Diva
Noelle311
In response to Amigosa

I used to have this fear too!! Now I try to only buy PP in a stack or if it's a collection.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to Amigosa

Agreed about matching papers from the same line.

I'll also go through my odds and ends and throw stuff in - my friends are always like "I never would have put those colours together" ... and it usually works!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to peenut_23

I was scared for a while of cutting up pp and using more than one on a LO b/c I didn't want to run out, but I have quickly gotten over that fear. The problem is now, I'm tearing, distressing, inking, cutting, whatever it may be, then when I put it with the other pp I don't like it. Then, I feel like it is just wasted...I don't throw it away, you never know when you may be able to use it. I just did this to about 6 sheets of paper last night trying different things to find something I like. I guess it's just me and how I see it. It looks too messy (when I do it) and I feel like my pictures will get lost in all the pp

Babylou
Diva
Babylou

I think some of us just may not create that way. I love the layered look and the collage look. But, I can NOT do it! I just can't grasp my mind around putting all that stuff together and when I do try, I think it looks terrible! So, I just accept that I am a simple scrapper and that is ok. Good luck to you. It looks like the wonderful people here have given you some good ideas and pointers!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics