Username Post: Beginner Scrap booker, need help!        (Topic#1504763)
faerie521
New Kid On the Block
faerie521

Ok. I am new at the whole scrapbooking thing. And, I know a little(very little) bit about it. But, just a quick question(s), how do you make the cover? i mean like, to make it spectacular? or should i just buy it? Also, idk really how to mix the scrapbooking part with the journaling part.

I know that i didn't ask too many questions, and i know the ones i asked r stupid but, please answer! Thanks.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to faerie521

Welcome! When you say cover, do you mean the cover page, or the cover to the album? I usually buy albums, but don't embellish or alter the outside in any way.

For the journaling, I just use an acid free pen and write directly on the cardstock.

Pocono Pam
Mayor
Pocono Pam
In response to faerie521

Hi I am new myself and cannot really answer your cover or journaling question. But, I want you to know that there ARE NO stupid questions. I have met nice and helpful scrappers here. I am sure you will get the answers to your questions. WELCOME!!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to Pocono Pam

I just buy my 12 X 12 albums and do not decorate the covers...I have made smaller albums using chipboard for the cover...I covered the chipboard with PP and embellished with ribbon, flowers & assorted metal embellies...This requires a strong adhesive...I use red line tape...

I don't do much journaling but I have an ultra fine sharpie that I use to write info on my pages...

ScrappySusan
Governor
ScrappySusan
In response to melissadam

If you get to the point where you add a lot of 3D embellishments (like Prima flowers...) you might want to go for a 3D 12x12 binder. This way it will not flare out like regular scrapbooks. I wish you luck.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappySusan

I only create covers for my mini-cardstock albums that are 6x6,,,,for the 12x12 albums, i just buy them, and don't embellish. For the smaller ones, I use ribbons and pretty buttons and faux jewels, and sometimes I use small charms,,,I've used locks and keys mostly, but have also used silver hearts and princess charms,,,,,,i also use diecuts from my cricut for crowns and royal scrollwork, etc,,,,,,

here are two examples,,,

Little girl princess mini album
By CommaHolly

fairtyale princess mini album-cover
By CommaHolly

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to CommaHolly

I'd also like to say - your questions aren't stupid at all. In fact you'll probably learn what you want to know by asking questions. And people here are really very nice about trying to answer them.

As for the covers, I don't decorate either. I have a lot of albums on a bookcase (because placing them flat can smash the insides). I would think a lot of decorated covers could make it difficult to slide them on and off the shelves without damaging them.

As for the journaling, the possibilities of ways to include it are pretty much endless. I've typed mine and cut out the rectangle and matted it quite a bit. I've drawn (or stamped) lines right onto my page and written on those. I've seen people write their journaling around the edges of the photos. You can hide your journaling in the folded card way behind a photo or in pull out tab fashion. You could put it on tags too. As I've indicated the list of ways to incorporate it can go on and on. Hope those give you a few ideas. I'm sure that a good through the gallery will give you even more.

Edited by KatieJo on 05-18-09 03:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to KatieJo

Journalling can be a large part of your layout or you can have none at all. Of course, there's a lot of room in between. Treating it as a design element, in my opinion, will make it easier.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to johnsusan8

I don't decorate my album covers either.

For journaling, at a minimum you should include the names of the people in the photos and the dates (even approximate dates if you aren't sure) of the photos. Just jot this down somewhere on the layout or even on the back, then you (or others) won't be looking at the album in thirty or forty years and wondering, "who ARE these people anyway?" After that, it's totally up to you.
Scrapbook sketches (like the ones at PageMaps - google it) usually show an area of the layout where journaling can go. Look at the sample layouts at PageMaps or in the gallery here for ideas on all the different techniques you can use for your journaling.

New Kid On the Block
In response to faerie521

Hello do you have already a starter kit?

New Kid On the Block
In response to ScrappySusan

WHERE DO YO GET THE 3D BINDERS? THANKS, LOVE YOUR WORK!

MilitaryMomma
Veteran
MilitaryMomma
In response to faerie521

I've seen some fabric covered albums altered with rubons, peals, buttons, ribbon, etc. I think you could pretty much adhere anything with just some hot glue or fabri-tack. I haven't tried it myself, simply because my children are young and like to look at the albums and I could just see my son ripping it all off.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to nanaof3innm

• nanaof3innm Said:
WHERE DO YO GET THE 3D BINDERS? THANKS, LOVE YOUR WORK!

I think she means 3-ring or D-ring binders, like below. They allow lots of "give" between the pages to allow for bulkier embellishments. The American Crafts binders with the chipboard covers are made especially to be decorated, but I've never done that because I'm seriously altering-challenged I prefer the KMA, Hiller, and We R Memory Keepers binders.

Edited by animemama on 05-20-09 09:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics