Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Acrylic paint or alcohol ink?        (Topic#1504901)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I have recently become addicted to chipboard and grungeboard and I was wondering which would be best for painting it, Alcohol ink or acrylic paint? If you say acrylic paint, which of the ones referenced below do you recommend?

Thanks for all your help!!

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to StarsNSparkles

Definitely paint! I use Apple Barrel paints by PLAID. They can be found at Walmart/Michael's/Joann's . Depending on where you get them, they can be CHEAP, like 49 CENTS for a bottle! And yes, they are perfectly fine for scrapbooking, so save yourself some money!

Cindy M
Pro
Cindy M
In response to byondbzr

Good thread... I've always wondered what people painted chipboard with. Tried covering w/ patterned paper once... not fun! LOL

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Cindy M

pp too much trouble for me. I was thinking about trying the crackle effect too, I read that you can find the crackle medium at WM, but when I looked, I didn't see it. Where would it be at?

msatterf
Pro
msatterf

Acrylic paint and I use craft paint or Adirondack Paint Dabbers love them. No cleanup required.

denitza
Mayor
denitza

I'll go with paint. The crackle one in my WM is on the bottom shelf usually.
You can also use ink for the chipboard.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to denitza

I have used ink...but it takes a LOT because it soaks into the chipboard, and I have stickled too...was wanting more ideas, I get bored easily...

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen

I use paint, ink, pp, embossing, cs, etc. As for paint, Making Memories is my fave. Great colours, good consistency and fast drying.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 05-19-09 07:48 AM
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Alcohol ink is intended for non poreous surfaces...the chipboard and grungeboard would just soak it up and the color would NOT be good.
I paint my chipboard and grungeboard using the cheap acrylics from WM or the other craft stores. On of my favorite things to do is painting them a light color, then stamp on it with a darker color and clear emboss over that....it's a great look....or paint them black and stamp them and emboss in a metallic. Check in my gallery to see examples of them.
On grungeboard, I like to texturize it, with my distressing hammer, paint it black, and then rub a coat of pearl x over it...the demension really shows up like that.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22

Oh no, Alcohol inks are only meant with non-porous substances, like acetate, canvas or acrylic. If you really want to use Alcohol inks on the grungeboard coat with gesso first, let it dry and then you can alcohol ink it. Also, the the tattered angel glimmer chips have a glossy coat, so you may be able to use them without gesso and with the inks.

You can use distress inks on chipboard and those work really well. There's also glimmer mist, but only some colors work well.

I LOVE the Ranger paint dabbers. No mess! I suggest checking out Tim's website and looking at his how-to videos; lots of good tips!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kerrina
Tenant
Kerrina
In response to rtay

I use paint. I really like Tim Holtz ' distressed crackle paint it gives it a nice distressed finish and looks great!

~k~

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Kerrina

I'm glad you started this post! I've also just plunged into grungeboard. Last night I used a black paint dabber on some Tim Holtz alphas and L. O. V. E. D. the results -- they are so matte that they look like black velvet and match the Lux e paper behind it.

I definitely prefer the paint dabbers to stamp pads -- dabbers dry thoroughly and quickly. In about ten minutes I could work with the letters. Oh! and no cracking of the paint at all.paint

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
Oh no, Alcohol inks are only meant with non-porous substances, like acetate, canvas or acrylic. If you really want to use Alcohol inks on the grungeboard coat with gesso first, let it dry and then you can alcohol ink it. Also, the the tattered angel glimmer chips have a glossy coat, so you may be able to use them without gesso and with the inks.

You can use distress inks on chipboard and those work really well. There's also glimmer mist, but only some colors work well.

I LOVE the Ranger paint dabbers. No mess! I suggest checking out Tim's website and looking at his how-to videos; lots of good tips!

I am so very glad that you told me alcohol inks wouldn't work on this!!! As I have no acrylic pieces, buying this ink would've just wasted my money!!! I may have to get some paint daubers, though.

sioux70
Expert
sioux70

Paint daubers work great along with regular cheap acrylic paint. What gives a cool effect is to use the Tim Holts distress crackle paint, then when its dry, go over it with chalk ink. Since the crackle paint cracks its own color, the ink adds some intrest.

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to sioux70

I use the cheap acrylic paint at WM, M's, J's and they work just as well as Making Memories paint...
And I've seen the distress Tim Holtz paint at M's.
I've also seen maya mist used...just a couple squirts and it totally covers. Can't wait to try that myself!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to MommaSaid

Paint dabbers are fun. I like pink with white in spots on top.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to johnsusan8

Stephanie, you're welcome. I'm kind of obsessed with all things Tim Holtz /Ranger. My goal is to go to Ranger U within the next two years!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
Stephanie, you're welcome. I'm kind of obsessed with all things Tim Holtz /Ranger. My goal is to go to Ranger U within the next two years!

Man...I'm really behind times...I didn't even know there was a Ranger U

I love his distressed inks (don't strangle me) but that is the only thing of his I have used so far. I love the crackle paint...but my problem is waiting for all this stuff to dry in order to get on with my LO.

So...what do all of you do during the drying time?

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to johnsusan8

• johnsusan8 Said:
Paint dabbers are fun. I like pink with white in spots on top.

Buy me some...so I will love it too...

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

I use cheap supermarket acrylics adn they work perfectly!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics