Username Post: Beginner, have 14mon. old daughter and want to make a scrapbook!! HELP        (Topic#1505087)
MySarahBug
New Kid On the Block
MySarahBug

I am new to scrapbooking. I have a 14 month old daughter and would love to make a scrapbook of her 1st year of life, but i need help. I am not a creative person!!!

Kimberly29
Veteran
Kimberly29
In response to MySarahBug

Are you asking for ideas on how to get started? If so, you could do things about fav. foods, cartoons, toys they do. first time they started to crawl or even walk. talk about some of the things you went through went you were pregnant.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-20-09 12:48 PM
In response to Kimberly29

How can we help you? What do you need advice on? How to pic topics, how to pick papers, how to design your pages, what kind of album to buy, etc.

Congratulations on your LO and welcome to the site!

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 05-20-09 01:13 PM
In response to IzzyB

Hello ,Welcome!!!I think you can start taking a tour around the Gallery in this site and you'll found AWESOME LO's that will provide you some inspiration, and also it'll will help you to define what is your style!!

Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom
In response to naf

Hi, welcome to the site I'm not new to scrapbooking but I have a 15 month old and I haven't done her page either. I only worked on my pregnant lo's.

Maybe you can start with your pregnant lo's, ob visits,ultra sounds, things that you craved, and the baby shower.

Then you scrap the hospital lo's of your baby's first moments in life, to the staff, first visitor's to pic's of going home.

Then you should gather all of your baby photos' from newborn to 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, etc.
And when you get all of this pictures, pick the ones you like the most make a college and title the page 1 month, and so on until you get to 12 months, then do other lo's like dr. visits, parks, family, eating, walking, crawling, teeth, birthday kind of lo's then you should be done and you may want to work on he todder scrapbook.

Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom
In response to Crystal is Leahs Mom

you can buy items like this to help you with your project.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom
In response to Crystal is Leahs Mom

you can college your pictures like this.

Indoor waterplay By Crystal Is Leahs Mom

MySarahBug
New Kid On the Block
MySarahBug
In response to IzzyB

I have found her book and i have bought some pages and stuff for baby girls, but i don't have a clue where to start. I am not real good at lo's. Like i said, i am not at al creative!!!

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to MySarahBug

If you REALLY REALLY aren't creative, there are premade kids that you can just put your pics in.

But, a lot of people say they aren't creative but once they get going they are fine. Then it comes out exactly as you want it and it is much more personal. It doesn't have to be something very dramatic. You can start with the pictures on a page and journal what was going on at the time, then maybe add a flower here and there or some other little embellishment.

I agree with the others that said to look around at the galleries here. There are a wide range of artists here... some who keep it very simple and others that their layouts look like they spend days and days on them

Just give it a try

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Redeemed318

I started with CTMH's Reflections book,
you pick a layout and it gives you a 'recipe', tells you what measurements to cut each piece of paper and where to put it. Then gives you a list of layouts that look good with your chosen layout for the 2nd page. Something like that can give you a jumpstart. (I did not use the book for long, but it sure gave me the confidence to get started)

There is also Pagemaps, I just don't know if it offers 'recipes'..and sites with sketches, like Pencil Lines, that can give you a jumpstart.

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to mjmone

I agree. You develop your creativity over time with a lot of experimentation. Most of my creative blocks come from being afraid to try! So the best thing to do is use sketches, which are kind of like patterns. You'll be surprised at how much you relax and let your creativity take over once the basic design isn't intimidating you anymore. Also, you can scraplift. See a LO that you LOVE in the gallery? Well, imagine it as a sketch and copy it as much or as little as you want. (Just be sure to give the original artist a shout out or some recognition here online.)

Lastly I would say, just go for it. Stop being afraid or intimidated by the thought of making it "perfect". No matter what it looks like, and believe me your scrapstyle will change and evolve over time, your children and your family will adore it. The ones who matter will be able to see the love that went into it and it will be special no matter what.

Have fun with it!

check out sketch websites, like: pagemaps, pencil lines, even in the gallery there are sketches!

sassysharyn
Veteran
sassysharyn
In response to raindancer

You could use a baby book as your "template" and use it to make similar pages for a scrapbook. It would help to take care of some of the "creativity" concerns.

smileyfacegirl80
Idol
smileyfacegirl80
In response to sassysharyn

there is a class on bigpicture scrapbooking called Baby's first year. It's a projects now class, and it takes you through the steps on how to make a baby album. Just thought I'd share.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to smileyfacegirl80

I like to browse through the gallery here for ideas and inspiration. There is a search feature, so you could browse for "baby" and get lots of ideas.

For basics stuff, call your local scrapbook store and see if they offer classes. I have never considered myself the crafty or creative type, and taking classes was a great way for me to get started.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics