Username Post: Stitching on LOs        (Topic#1505111)
kjginga
Expert
kjginga

I love to see all the stitching done on LOs. Do you do it with a sewing machine? How do you keep it from tearing the paper?

Thanks!

Kathy :-)

nuskrappa
Diva
nuskrappa
In response to kjginga

hi there. i love stitching! i do mine by hand.. heres my latest layout.

Honor Heights Park
By Nuskrappa

i found a coloring book pic and pierced the holes with my piercing tool. then i used embroidery floss to do the stitching. good luck with it.. i hope you love it!!

Cris

ps pierce your holes far enough apart that you dont risk tearing the paper. oh yeah.. and so far i have only done this on cardstock. hope this helps.

kjginga
Expert
kjginga
In response to nuskrappa

Beautiful! Thanks so much!

Kathy :-)

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz
In response to kjginga

The Bazzill In Stitchz are really great, easy to do by hand - you just follow the design, pre poke your holes with the piercing tool, then follow up with needle and floss! And you get a great variety in each template! Recommend on cardstock only, I was not successfuly with regular pp unless I backed it!

nuskrappa
Diva
nuskrappa
In response to JaymieLiz

you are braver than i... i was too chicken to try it on regular paper and of course the paper is smarter than me because i never even thought of backing it! lol

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 05-20-09 04:54 PM
In response to nuskrappa

If your gonna machine stitch...it's fine on cardstock...on pp just loosen your tension just a bit....

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 05-20-09 05:00 PM
In response to nuskrappa

I don't stitch on every layout but I have done both by hand and with sewing machine. The templates are great for doing by hand but sometimes I just want to add stitching a little more "messy" to add character (as well as hold down specific elements of my page) so I just "eyeball it", as on the layout below:

precious
By MoniL
For machine stitching, you need to be sure your thread tension is not too tight; also, I feel that using medium to longer stitch-length works better than short. Again, I like randomness with machine-stitching because I love the homemade look it gives, so don't stress too much about it being perfect. On the below layout, I feel that the randomness adds to the cozy factor of it.

2:00 a.m.
By MoniL

Practice on scrap paper first and try not to add adhesive under the elements you want to sew (it will gunk up your needle). But most of all, don't stress too much over it and have fun.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MoniL

I just started stitching on my LO's. I still need to upload them, but I also pierced the holes in advance with a too.

The first time I used a stencil; but not anything like the really nice Bazzill s shown above. In order to ensure I got the right shape I made sure my holes were something like very short straight lines to somehow preserve the curves.

The other LO I stitched was just this afternoon. After I sketched in a cloud and painted it on my card stock, I stitched around the curvy edges to give it some definition. It turned out really nice.

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz
In response to nuskrappa

• Quote:
you are braver than i... i was too chicken to try it on regular paper and of course the paper is smarter than me because i never even thought of backing it! lol

I must confess, I had no choice LOL!! I started going to town on a layout that already had matting adhered.....I usually don't do that but was inspired, then went just a little too far.....so more or less necessity was the mother of that one!!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to JaymieLiz

I do hand stitching with and without templates. I don't do it on everything, but I love it!

shopgirlaudi
Mayor
shopgirlaudi
In response to johnsusan8

I've done quite a bit of stitching with my machine. I've never had any problems with it tearing my paper, but most of the time I stitch on the thicker cardstock weight pps.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to JaymieLiz

• JaymieLiz Said:
The Bazzill In Stitchz are really great, easy to do by hand - you just follow the design, pre poke your holes with the piercing tool, then follow up with needle and floss! And you get a great variety in each template! Recommend on cardstock only, I was not successfuly with regular pp unless I backed it!

Wow - thanks for this post. I received one of these templates in a kit and I wasn't really sure what to do with it. Gonna give it a whirl

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to ncyankee

here's a question that I think fits into the original question.

If you use a machine -- what type? Has anyone used one of those small hand held machines? Or am I just wasting money.

Thanks

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to ncyankee

This is the first LO I ever did with stitching and I thought it was so fun! I didn't have a problem with it tearing the paper at all.
I have heard that the little crafty and hand held machines are not worth it...better to save up and get a decent "real" sewing machine.
Cheese! By StaceyE

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics