Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Teaching People To Smile vs. Hide!        (Topic#1505271)
KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

T - Taking Pictures Of
E - Everyone
A - (All Of The Time & Often)
C - Can Cause Compulsive & Chronic cases of...
H - Hiding & Running Among Some!

(Um, Talk about trying to TEACH someone about scrapbooking!)...I'm afraid that these might be the people that just DON'T get it!

'Hey YOU! Get Back Over Here!...I have a camera & I DO know how to use it! LOL!'

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

With that in mind...

1. Who do YOU know that...

a) literally HATES the camera?

b) Loves to be in pictures only to mess them up on purpose!

c) Is completely just shy.

2. What types of things do you usually say right before taking a picture? (Are you nice, funny or possibly down-right scary? LOL!)

3. What kinds of things can we all do to TEACH, do & say to these types of camera-hating, camera-eating, camera-phobia people? Any tips, ideas or suggestions?

p.s. Watch the birdie!...Smile!!...Click!

nessa9116
Veteran
nessa9116
In response to KellyCali

My brother always makes a silly face whenever I take his picture. But I can usually talk him into making a nice face. I think he's one of those that loves to be in pictures, but messes them up on purpose.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ
In response to KellyCali

My Mom!

A few teenagers I know!!!

No one.

2. What types of things do you usually say right before taking a picture? (Are you nice, funny or possibly down-right scary? LOL!)

I don't say anything. Usually getting candids and don't want them to know. If it is a portrait type, I usually say, "c'mon, it is just one picture, just do it for me."

3. What kinds of things can we all do to TEACH, do & say to these types of camera-hating, camera-eating, camera-phobia people? Any tips, ideas or suggestions?

Use future generations, ie; your child will want to know what you looked like at 30.

I promise not to put it on the internet.

I promise, I will only make 1 copy.

Do it for me, please?

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to nessa9116

I hate the camera! And no matter how hard I try, I just cannot talk myself into taking my picture, lol! The ONLY way to get my pic is to sneak up on me and do it, or catch me with one of my grandbabies...because I NEVER have enough pics of my grandbabies, lol!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-22-09 07:12 AM
In response to nessa9116

gotta love the zoom option on cameras. Some of the best pictures of my son are ones when he didn't know I was taking them. He can't help himself. He has to stick out his tongue, act like he is picking his nose, cross his eyes....something (14 year old boys :faint:) I have learned to best way to get a good picture out of him is to

1. put his girlfriend in it.....she will punch him if he doesn't take a good one.

2. put his sister in it....the first one he is generally flinching because she did punch him but the second one is most likely a good one

3. Threaten to make him stand their beside whoever until I get a good one

4. when all else fails.......threaten to take away the playstation, 4-wheeler, and shotgun all three.....that generally works.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-22-09 07:15 AM
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
With that in mind...

a) literally HATES the camera? I have a cousin and an uncle that qualify...very very few good pics of them
b) Loves to be in pictures only to mess them up on purpose! my son, who else

c) Is completely just shy. not too many people qualify for this

2. What types of things do you usually say right before taking a picture? (Are you nice, funny or possibly down-right scary? LOL!) I threaten Jake
3. What kinds of things can we all do to TEACH, do & say to these types of camera-hating, camera-eating, camera-phobia people? Any tips, ideas or suggestions? anybody that is around me very much knows the camera is going to come out and they have learned to deal with it. I usually mention they can smile and look nice in the pictures I scrapbook or they can be saved for eternity in a picture with their eyes crossed and their tongue sticking out....it is totally up to them because I will take the picture, complimentary to them or not!!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
With that in mind...

Myself..I hate being in pictures, if DH forces me to get a picture taken, then I usually delete it when I put it on my PC
My Twin brother...you can never get a decent pic of him...he is make a stupid face or sticking his tongue out
I know no one that is shy!!! Everyone in both sides of the family are completely outgoing & outrageous!!!
I am nice most of the time, I just say smile pretty sometimes I say don't be dumb! Sometimes, I have to really hollar and hoot and do head stands to get my 21 month old DS to look at me..usually though, I just take the picture of whatever he is doing
3. What kinds of things can we all do to TEACH, do & say to these types of camera-hating, camera-eating, camera-phobia people? Any tips, ideas or suggestions? To myself, I try to convince myself to keep the pictures, I know someday my children and grandchildren will want to know what I looked like when I was young. My twin brother...I could talk til I was blue in the face about wanting a good picture and how future generations will want to see something good...he still would not give me a good picture. For camera-shy or phobic ppl...I would just not worry and try to take a pic when they weren't aware, capture them as they are and not worry about a head-on picture. I would also maybe try to find out if putting someone else in the shop would help them to be more confortable.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
4. when all else fails.......threaten to take away the playstation, 4-wheeler, and shotgun all three.....that generally works.

Mel, this part reminded me of a fellow mom, neighbor & friend, who could NEVER EVER get a good picture out of her 7-9 year oldish son.

So, being the crafty & clever mom that she is...She started with a dollar.

Which soon evolved into ($1 and $5) photo-sessions.

As in...'Mom will pay you $$$ dear son if you allow me to take as many photos as I want and promise to pose & smile only for GOOD photos for your mother!'

That boy is now the biggest ham & cheeser that you'll ever right see & she always takes the most beautiful & happiest pictures of him!

(Just knowing the secret behind his awesome & fun-loving smiles, is where I always am sure to smile!)

LOL!

vs.

BlingPrincessMarci
Diva
BlingPrincessMarci
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
With that in mind...

me.. i do not like pictures of me
my nephew Brandon, hes 15 i think and hes just a goof
i dont know any shy people :)
depends on the situation.. usually just a plain countdown for a good picture.. like Ready.. 1..2..3.. click but for a funny one you just say their name and try to get them to look at you! with my nephew there is a game that we have.. just point and click without him knowing :)
i think if you hate the camera.. you just do.. but if you tell them its for a special reason then they may give you at least 1 good one

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
With that in mind...

a) literally HATES the camera? ME Me ME ME...i am all for being behind the camera but DON"T take my picture please!
b) Loves to be in pictures only to mess them up on purpose! My son...I have to negotiate with him for a good pic..."ok...one really good pic then I will take a goofy one" thank goodness for the delete button!
c) Is completely just shy. My DD is completely the opposite of shy...since she was a wee baby she would start posing as soon as she saw the camera come out
2. What types of things do you usually say right before taking a picture? (Are you nice, funny or possibly down-right scary? LOL!)I use silly words (flibrty jib) or say something really silly

3. What kinds of things can we all do to TEACH, do & say to these types of camera-hating, camera-eating, camera-phobia people? Any tips, ideas or suggestions? show them what happens when they give us the "bad" photos in LO...scrap those pics anyway...they may want to stop acting up when they see their antics on paper...as for hiding...i have pics of kids feet from behind the couches, hands from uners the blankets...scrap them anyway...hope for the same effect

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Wonderful tips, stories & suggestions Ladies!!

Keep Smiling!

(Afterall, you never know who's gonna take your picture next!) LOL!

New Kid On the Block
In response to KellyCali

Actually i'm a camera shy person...
everytime my BF takes picture on me i hide my face...
coz i'm shy to look ugly on photos...^_^

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Jen0608

Never tell people to smile, say cheese or watch the birdie... it almost always gives you a fake smile.

For posed shots just talk to them for a few minutes then have them repeat silly things that are not usually associated with having your picture taken or even make faces. Whatever gets a natural smile.

Remember not everyone has to smile for a great picture.

For the really camera shy, I just keep my camera out and take pictures of other things in the room. Then when they're not looking or expecting it I get them.

There are some, especially kids, who are hams. Nothing you say or do can get them to be serious for a shot. My son is one of these. I take the camera shy approach with him and pretend I'm not interested in getting his picture.

Remember above all else, if your subject is getting annoyed with you and your camera, don't take their picture. Just step away and try again a different time. Patience pays off in photography.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to photo_chick

a) literally HATES the camera? DS

b) Loves to be in pictures only to mess them up on purpose! DD used to be this way, until her friend's mother refused to invite her to any of her daughter's birthday parties anymore.

c) Is completely just shy. DS....the one who hates cameras.

2. What types of things do you usually say right before taking a picture? (Are you nice, funny or possibly down-right scary? LOL!) I start funny conversations about stuff that has happened recently, to get people laughing

Our recent vacation had DS making miserable faces. I'm going to scrap them anyway. At one point, I showed him a couple of the pics and said they were going into the scrapbook as-is, and that it was up to him to give me better smiles. His choice.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 11-29-09 11:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

grammyoftwo
Resident
grammyoftwo
In response to Luvmyfam

Why is it that 80% of us scrappers hate our pics taken but want everyone else to like it? I don't have 1 lo with myself in it lol

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to grammyoftwo

I can soooooo relate! As can many of us!

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to scrappycath

well I say often.. "in 100 years noone is going to care anyway"

I also say to people eather you pose nice and preview the pic or Ill use it as is anyway.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to planty

I hate having my pic taken, BUT with that said last year I experimented with the camera on my own and found "my good side" lol
Now I'm happy to be in pics, as long as my hair and make up are done, and it's from my good side!

I bribe my children too, if I take them out on location somewhere I usually do where the beach or a park is nearby and they know now if they don't smile or do what mummy says for the photos they won't get to go play or go swimming. Works like a charm.
I also like j3Mel's thoughts on taking something away, might have to try that one!! Thanks!! xx

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to KellyCali

the only thing I can think of is ask them to adjust their clothing for some reason and while they are doing that you snap a few pictures. At least you will get pictures where they are not sticking their tongues out.

I suppose you could also say something like there is a smudge on your face. And again, while their attention is elsewhere, you snap a few photos.

I think the key may be to be fast. Just jump in and start taking photos before they can react. Or better yet use the zoom. They may not realize you are even taking photos.

I think the part people hate is the Fake staging. "OK everybody stand up straight and smile" part. The line I always use is "look like you are having fun". You would not believe the sour faces I see after saying that but then I start laughing at the sour faces and soon everyone is laughing.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics