Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Storage?!        (Topic#1505787)
New Kid On the Block

When I found myself hunting all over my craft area for scrapbooking things that I bought I realized that I desperately need a storage system.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what they cannot live without when they store their supplies. Stuff that isn't outrageously expensive is a must because I am a college student on a budget that I have to stick to.

I do have a few things for paper and some embellishments but no real system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scatter
Guru
Scatter
In response to daileya

I can tell you there are some brilliant ideas in the gallery! There's a whole section for Scraprooms.

Anything in particular that you're looking to organize?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-27-09 12:31 PM
In response to Scatter

A simple and inexpensive way is to buy those 13 x 13 plastic "iris" boxes sold at any craft store. They retail for about $9, but they are frequently 40% off or you can use a store coupon. Each box holds a lot of stuff. You could buy 1 box for paper, 1 for embellies, 1 for tools/adhesive, 1 for ribbon, etc. This is assuming that you don't have 5,000 sheets of paper and accompanying stuff.

Some people have also used "flat rate" postal boxes the same way. They are free at the post office but aren't meant to be used in this manner.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Scatter

I mostly want to organize my paper, stickers, and other items. It seems like when I need something I have three or four different places to look for it.

I will try and look through the gallery when I get time. I was looking through the online store and saw some things that I want to try and get because I think that they would be vary helpful.

Thanks for your help!

pixieh2o
Tenant
pixieh2o
In response to daileya

i've discovered using vertical file holders work well for all my papers. then i use a hanging file folder box with the hanging folders and label them "stickers" "transfers" etc. then for really bulky stuff like your tools i just went to ikea because they have cheap and cute boxes. every color, every design, and i use those for my ribbons and bulky stuff like i said. for my small embellishes like brads and such i just got an inexpensive jewelry compartment box at michael's and keep it all color coordinated that way.

i discovered that once all my stuff was organized i was way more involved with creating my shadoboxes, collages and scrapbook pages.

Good LUCK!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-27-09 01:24 PM
In response to pixieh2o

2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags and skirt hangers or children's clothing hangers (the kind with the clips!) I have even resorted to heavy duty clothes hangers and clothes pins until I can afford more of the 4 tier skirt hangers to organize my papers with.

12 x 12 paper fits in them

you can see everything in them

they can be hung in a closet or from a shelf made from closet rod brackets

you can sort by color, theme, or manufacture..whatever works for you

that is the cheapest, quickest way to figure out how you want to organize things also. Sort into them and use your supplies out of them for a while before you decide if you like how it is organized. When you find a system that works for you, it is easy to see how much of everything you have and what size containers you need if you want a more home decor type storage system. You won't be sinking a lot of money into a storage system then decide it won't work for you.

There are pics in my gallery of my paper storage using ziplock bags and hangers.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to j3Mel

a good way to organize ribbon is to wrap lengths of it around old fashioned clothes pins and secure with safety pins. Then store them by color in drawers. Hope this helps you out!

Tenant
In response to Jordannichole

For my small embellishments - brads, eyelets, etc. - I bought two Black & Decker Nuts & Bolts Storage containers. It comes with 4 tackle box like containers that have customizable slots. All of the containers then fit inside one holder with a handle for easy travel. For stickers and such you can buy inexpensive accordian file boxes at office supply stores or Wal-Mart.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Guru
In response to Anna_Marie

I've got some of my stuff in a small kids shoe box and my ribbon and embellies in clear plastic boxes, with lids, that a kids lunch came in. I really need something to put my paper and stickers in though so I think I'll check out one of those plastic boxes.

I've also got lots of empty pill bottles that I can use to store things like brads, eyelets, etc. in. I can glue one to the front or top so I know what's inside since the bottles are colored. My vitamin, calcium, and fish oil bottles are really big so they will store a lot.

Edited by moodymolly on 05-29-09 01:36 PM. Reason for edit: Added last paragraph.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to moodymolly

My best advice for someone who is just starting to organize is to hit up the garage sales and good will stores. You never know what you might come up with that is absolutely perfect storage! Look for old spice racks, old CD holders, etc. Paint them all shiney white, and they look like they belong together. I personally have a ton of the 13x13 Iris boxes now, but I've accumulated them one or two at a time, either on sale or with a coupon. Just be sure to label them. I really like the Iris boxes that come in a roller cart, 6-drawers (boxes) deep. I can roll two of those right under my scrap table.

Mom2ZMC
Veteran
Mom2ZMC
In response to dwelch

I would suggest spending as little as possible, until you really discover how you use your supplies while you scrapbook. Once you figure out your "style", storage ideas will come to you, because like our LOs our scraprooms and storage items are all different. Good luck.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Mom2ZMC

You can also check out videos on you tube for room layouts and organization - there are a lot of great ideas there. I've kind of gotten addicted to watching scrapbook videos - it's amazing how many are posted there.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to SmartyPants

I've got TONS of baby food jars that I put stuff in - random little things like sequins, confetti, buttons, brads- and then turn the upside down (with the lid on of course) in a drawer in an iris cart.

I like to have EVERYTHING labeled but I change up my organization often (ever feel like you organize more than scrap?) so to allow me to change my labels I got some of those sticky back vinyl business card holders that you can slide cards into and put those on the fronts of stuff so I can change it out as I see fit. It works REALLY well. There are some binder labels too that are pockets for putting things into that fit on the fronts of the artbin's that are 13x13 (fit 12x12 papers PERFECTLY).

Like someone else said, if you paint a mixture of stuff all one color the all of the sudden go together. I went a different direction and want to be able to see INTO my stuff so I went translucent white.

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to Seaexplore

I have all my stuff in divided containers and pencil boxes in big totes under my daybed. my 12X12 paper have shelves in my closet and my other paper has a shelf in the livingroom.

Risse
Risse 
Veteran
Risse
  • Risse on 06-02-09 05:06 PM
In response to pearlygadget

I only get to scrap when I go visit my in-laws approx once a month, so all my stuff is stored on a shelf in my closet. Hopefully once we're in a house I can have a scraproom! Then when that day somes I know my MIL & SIL will be more than willing to help with the organization part.

CATsAngel
Resident
CATsAngel
In response to Risse

I went to the dollar store in the dishes/glasses section, the home accents section and the basket and tupperware sections and saw tons of different sized containers for different things.

Risse
Risse 
Veteran
Risse
  • Risse on 06-03-09 03:37 AM
In response to CATsAngel

I also have a few boxes fro Tuesday Morning... not sure what the boxes are called, but they're good for storing scrap papers left from papers you've cut.

catey
catey 
Veteran
catey
  • catey on 06-03-09 07:52 AM
In response to Risse

There are several ways to inexpensively store everything. You kind of just have to find what works for you. Finding household items and turning them into storage would probably be the cheapest way to go. The trick is figuring out how to do that.

This book may help you. All you have to do is buy it, download it, and print it. And then you don't have to pay shipping. Good luck!

New Kid On the Block
In response to catey

Thanks for all the help! I decided to get some mason jars and put my brads and stuff in there so it is a first step.

DorrieR
Resident
DorrieR
In response to CATsAngel

The Dollar Store! What a great idea! I am really new to scrappin too. I live in a crowded one bedroom apartment, so my "scraproom" is my kitchen table. I am definately going to head to the dollar store for storage stuff. Right now I have stuff in Ziploc Bags but I get the mixed up and then I get frustrated.
Great ideas!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics