Username Post: Cereal Box Chipboard--is it "safe"?        (Topic#1506589)
Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 06-04-09 04:04 PM

I was asked a question by one of our members about the safety of using the chipboard from cereal boxes in scrapbooks (for shapes, album covers, alphabets, etc.). In answer to her question I need to start by saying that two years ago I was told by an owner of a reputable scrapbooking paper company that all chipboard contained acid and that scrapbookers should use it at their own risk (their products did not state "acid-free" or "lignin-free on the packaging at that time). That being said, let it be noted that "acid free" chipboard is now available and that's what I
use for self-made embellishments and for some of my album covers that I want to be absolutely acid-free. I think it's safe to say if a description or the packaging of a product doesn't state "acid-free, lignin-free, etc. it might not be though I would call the company (or go to their website) and ask if you want to know for sure.

About cereal boxes...I did a crude experiment on my Kashi cereal boxes with my pH testing pen and found the inside of the boxes to be in the purple "safe" zone. I don't know about the the ink that was used on the outside of the boxes but they all showed up in the "blue" or "safe" zone too in most cases. My General Mills boxes and off-brand pancake mix boxes weren't safe at all.

I use my pH testing pen on a regular basis. Hope this post can help someone with a similar question.

My best,
Jill Davis, founder

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to Jill

Thanks for the info Jill!!

Nana Me N Daisies
Guru
Nana Me N Daisies
In response to DawnInAZ

Thank you Jill for answering my question... I knew I could count on you!

All the best...

Sylvia

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 06-04-09 05:01 PM
In response to Nana Me N Daisies

You're welcome Sylvia.

Guru
In response to Jill

Thanks so much Jill. This is something I have often wondered about since I'm on a budget and try to save money whenever and wherever I can.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to moodymolly

Thanks Sylvia and Jill, Sylvia for being persistent and Jill for answering my original question about using cereal boxes for chip board. With the information I now have and the fact that I am having trouble getting my Slice to actually cut through the cereal boxes.... I guess I'll stay away! Thanks again for the information.

mommy3girls
Veteran
mommy3girls
In response to sweet1

Great information...Thanks Sylvia and Jill. The things I learn on scrapbook.com Love it here

Nana Me N Daisies
Guru
Nana Me N Daisies
In response to mommy3girls

Well, the thanks go to "Sweet1" for she was the one with the original question. =) My concern was "Is it safe"? I'm one to only use "Acid & Lignin Free" products and I just felt that people should get the correct answer. So, I could only think of one person for that answer and it was "JILL" =)

It would be dreadful to see our scrapbooks later in the years and have bleeding or any other damage after all the work and time we put in to having "Beautiful Layouts" =)

Well, have a Happy Scrappin' time!

Blessings...

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to Jill

I use cereal boxes for my colages I'm making. I don't plan on them permantly used so I'm not wooried about the a/free part. They give me a firm surface to glue my paper down for me to put mu collag itemsom. I'm also using the floral items for Tissue boxes as embelliments on my cards. again cards aren't usualy pernamnt. I'm not using these pieces in my s/bk pags.I think we have todeciade if the project is going be pern. or not to use this c/board boxes which is free with some great designs

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-09-09 06:25 AM
In response to grandmabear

Thanks so much for doing the research and providing an expert answer to this.

MrsPreK
New Kid On the Block
MrsPreK
In response to IzzyB

What a great idea ladies! TY!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to MrsPreK

I was told that most any papers that have been recycled will contain acid. Most boxes have that symbol that they are so much percentage of recycled papers.

I think using cereal boxes is okay for anything that doesn't include a real photo but not on photos.

I'm not a big fan of heavy, bumpy pages so chipboard was not something I concerned myself with.

I didn't know that chipboard made for sbing wasn't always safe! Wow!

I think I'll stick to my faux chipboard where I layer several of the same cut cardstock to get a thicker embellishment.

ScrapbookingMentor
New Kid On the Block
ScrapbookingMentor
In response to Jill

Yes; thank you for that info Jill. I had no clue about those PH testing pens. I will have to hunt some down for myself!

natmatt
Resident
natmatt
In response to Jill

Hi,

Thanks for answering this.

I have a few dozen photos matted onto DCVW "matte" paper pads. I am looking at the packaging now and it does not say acid and lignin free.

I am glad to know this and will get that pen. Thank you.

love sb.com,
terri

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics