Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Making the Switch to D-Ring        (Topic#1506711)
Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I know I've seen threads on this before, but now I can't find the threads I'm looking for.

I want to make the switch from post-bound to D-Ring binders. What brands are your favorites?

Also, what types of refills can you get? I do 12x12, and other sizes as well. I would like to get some 12x12 page protectors that have smaller 4x6 slots as well. Sometimes I just want to add additional photos without scrapping them.

TIA!

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey
In response to Luvmyfam

I get both from Hobby Lobby.. not sure what brand name they are though.. just take your D - ring album with you to see if the holes line up and whatever photo pocket pages you decide on line them up with your page protectors so that it will fit the way you want.

I LOVE doing the photo pocket pages along with layouts... you can either fill them up with just photos or put journaling boxes and such in them too..

Hanging out with Grandma (full 2 page) By Mama Of A Monkey

Edited by Mama of a monkey on 06-06-09 10:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to Mama of a monkey

very nice, my scrapbooks are starting to fall apart, I put too many in them I guess.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to DivaDana

I use Hiller, nka We R Memory Keepers. They are leather-look and come in various colors.

These are the page protectors I use:

And, I just bought some 6-up pages, but haven't used them yet.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Luvmyfam

I started with inexpensive black ring binders then I upgraded to leather American Crafts binders. And boy are they nice!!!

my free advice
ALWAYS check out how the rings line up in the store and open & close it a few times.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Stephanie, I don't have any D-ring binders yet, but your example is exactly what I am aiming for. I want to mix the photos up with journaling boxes and embellished stuff.

Is it possible create holes where necessary with a crop-a-dial?

Edited by Luvmyfam on 06-08-09 05:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Luvmyfam

I also use the American Crafts ones (from HL) and the following page protectors also fit great in them:

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 06-07-09 05:28 AM
In response to scraprabbit

You can punch holes in the photo sleeves if they don't line up. I have a couple different brands of D-rings and the C-Line photo sleeves line up with all of them.

The only thing I don't like is that they are not the same size as the 12x12 page protectors. The photo sleeves stick out a little bit further.

If you buy the d-ring album at a store (not online), open it and make sure the page protectors and the photo sleeves will fit inside the album. The Colorbok page protectors come right to the edge of the WMK D-ring album. I think it is that 1/4 inch space between the holes and the actual sleeve for the LO that makes these larger than other ones.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 06-07-09 05:31 AM
In response to Tivi

Oh, I forgot to add...

If you have a 2 page LO you can stitch the page protectors together so they are right next to each other (no gap for the rings to show in the middle of the 2 pages). I use my regular sewing machine, set on 8 stiches per inch (a basting stitch) and either use clear thread or a color to blend in with the background papers.

It doesn't work so well trying to stitch a page protector to the photo sleeves, tho.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Tivi

I've never had any page protectors where the holes don't line up, although I don't really use many different brands. I've even used some 8-1/2 x 11 pages in my album.

I did run in to some 12x12 page protectors that are too big. They have a column space between the holes and the page itself, which makes the whole page wider. It sticks out the edge of the album, which I don't like.

pharmgirl
Guru
pharmgirl
In response to Bxr-Linda

Does anyone have a problem with the page protectors in their D-ring albums sagging? Mine are and the bottom of the page gets a bit damaged.

anyone else?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to pharmgirl

• pharmgirl Said:
Does anyone have a problem with the page protectors in their D-ring albums sagging? Mine are and the bottom of the page gets a bit damaged.

anyone else?

Eeks! That's a bit scary.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Luvmyfam

I was just looking at the page protectors. There are some new ones that look really great!

I have a package of the "6-up," which holds 6 4x6 photos horizontally. I need some of the vertical ones.
It would be great if these were available in a combination package, with a few of each design. Anyone seen them packaged that way?

I may have to make a trip to my LSS today!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, good point on the mixed horizontal and vertical. I hadn't thought of that.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Luvmyfam

I went to my LSS yesterday. I bought a package of the different formats (vertical and horizontal + 6x8). The packages are smaller (10 sheets per pack vs. 25 sheets)

I mentioned to the owner that it would be nice to get a variety pack. She thought it was a good idea too.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda - Thanks for showing those off! I hadn't seen them yet and I'm DEFINITELY going to have to get them now! Like, all of them.

boysmama
Pro
boysmama
In response to pharmgirl

• pharmgirl Said:

anyone else?

ME ME ME!! That's why all my layouts are currently in drawers. *sigh* I had a bunch of 3 ring binders and the edges would 'sloop' and then if I was trying to put it back on the shelf they would catch and bend. I HATE IT!! So I'm still on the search for a good album (and I have 10 years worth of layouts to put in!!). I did buy a couple of CM albums but since I don't scrap chronologically I haven't filled them up to see how they hold up. So glad that I'm not the lone ranger with that one!!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 06-15-09 03:27 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

I have several D rings. I have a few making memories ones(2 leather and 2 fabric ones) and an american crafts ones. I like them. As for refills I have lately been buying the 25 pack of Pioneer ones that Js sells for 10 dollars. They have a keyhole type hole so they are supposed to fit post, d ring and strap type albums. I havent had any issues with these in my snap load or d rings. I also bought a pack of refills by century craft at Ms for 10 dollars. They dont fit any of the albums I had. There is the strip where the holes are, but then there is another strip of plastic before the part where you put the page so they stick out of all the books. I had to punch holes in the second strip to make it fit and trip off the strip that already had holes.

I just got a Martha stewart album on clearance at ACM for 10 and it appears these century craft ones will fit if I punch new holes in the part that already has holes as the MS album has 4 holes.

And a crop a dile will punch holes in the refills.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Hev

• Hev Said:
I also bought a pack of refills by century craft at Ms for 10 dollars. They dont fit any of the albums I had. There is the strip where the holes are, but then there is another strip of plastic before the part where you put the page so they stick out of all the books. I had to punch holes in the second strip to make it fit and trip off the strip that already had holes.

I got a package of some like this years ago at Michaels. I didn't like that they stuck out the edge.

I took them back to Michaels and explained the problem. The clerk said, "well, you could always use the 8 1/2 x 11 ones."

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 06-16-09 06:29 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Lol,Guess that clerk didnt know much about scrapbooks hmmm?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics