Username Post: Laser Ink Rubbing Off ....        (Topic#1506795)
marekuch
New Kid On the Block
marekuch

I am working invitiations that requires me to use the printer. Every time I touch the paper that I printed on, the ink rubs off. I have tried to let it dry - even over night - but that still doesn't work. Is there a product that I can spray over top to prevent this from happening? Any suggestions? Please help!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to marekuch

I'm sure someone here can help you. I believe it has to do with the type of ink and the type of paper. It shouldn't smear and you shouldn't have to spray it.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to marekuch

What type of paper are you printing on?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to NMlady

If it's a LASER printer, then you can't use The Perfect Printing Pouch as stops bleeding and smearing and dries the ink fast with wet inks (markers, inkjet, stamp, gel pens, xyron design runner....)

I would suggest using a fixative. Doesn't matter on the brand but here's a few... Krylon: Clear acrylic coating, Fixatif, Preserve it!, Creative Imaginations Super Seal, or any spray made for sealing chalk or charcoal.

For more inking tips. check out my blog.

marekuch
New Kid On the Block
marekuch
In response to NMlady

I'm using basic cardstock and a laser printer. I've never had any issues before but then I switched from ink jet to laser. Maybe thats the issue.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to marekuch

I know that cleaper(Jenni) uses only laser and I believe she prints on cardstock.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to NMlady

I've used laserjet printers for years and really have never had this problem.

The only time this happens is if there is a paper jam, and the paper doesn't run all the way through the printer (and gets heat set). Then the ink smudges off like chalk.

I print on cardstock with my laserjet and don't have any problem. Even with textured cardstock, it shouldn't smear or rub off.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to marekuch

Maybe the heat set in the printer isn't working properly. Try using a heat tool to heat set it... ex a hair dryer.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bwinkler

Does your laser printer print on regular paper okay?

marekuch
New Kid On the Block
marekuch
In response to Bxr-Linda

I haven't noticed if it works on regular paper or not. This is really the first time using it.

Note to self - don't buy a cheap printer anymore!

However, I did spray the paper with the Krylon Workable Fixatif and it has worked so far. No smudges or smearing. Thank you for the help!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to marekuch

Where did you find a "cheap" laserjet?

It sounds like there's a problem with the printer or the ink.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to marekuch

• marekuch Said:
I'm using basic cardstock and a laser printer. I've never had any issues before but then I switched from ink jet to laser. Maybe thats the issue.

You need to make sure and tell the printer that you are using cardstock. If I forget to do this, mine rubs off too but when I remember, it doesnt'.
HTH!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to terrihooper

• terrihooper Said:
  • marekuch Said:

You need to make sure and tell the printer that you are using cardstock. If I forget to do this, mine rubs off too but when I remember, it doesnt'.
HTH!

Really!?

I have used my laser to print on cardstock, vellum, and even ribbon, and have never changed my print settings.

In fact, I just looked, and my laser printer settings don't even have an option for paper type.

With the inkjet, it makes a difference, but not with the laser.

jennifer727
Resident
jennifer727
In response to Bxr-Linda

if you look in the art dept of a craft store like hobby lobby you can get a spray fixative. it should be with the charcoal, pastels, and other "loose" mediums. i used it when i did charcoal and pastel drawings to keep it from smearing and help the medium to set. i usually sprayed several coats just to ensure i didn't miss any spots. make sure you spray your stuff outdoors. this should help with the ink. my ink sometimes smears when i print on vellum paper. hope this helps!

Tenant
In response to jennifer727

most probably you are using a oil based ink on a glossy type paper, oil based inks are supposed to be absorbed by paper in case normal paper, and dried for days maybe even weeks if glossy paper, ( most laser printers have toner poweder based ink, but some rare ones do use oil inks, used mostly by wedding card designer printers

Passion Flower Scrapper
Veteran
Passion Flower Scrapper
In response to BloodDiamond

My newest laser printer at work has this same problem, when I print on cardstock. I currently have a HP Laserjet P2015. Previously I had a HP Laserjet 1200 series and printed on c.s. with no trouble. In my case I've only tried one c.s. so I don't know if it was the paper or the toner.

You might consdier trying someone elses printer, or even kinko's.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics