Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Any weird/cool/interesting places to stop at on a road tip out west? :)        (Topic#1507087)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-10-09 06:51 PM

We are going thru Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Neveda, California, then back thru Arazona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Do you know of any thing cool or interesting or just plain weird to stop at? Good places to eat?

in Kansas there is the worlds Largest ball of twine... stuff like that.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to LuvStarGate

My family & I are nortorious for stopping at all kinds of places like these.

Try Highway 66 & Roadside America.com.

Lots of good & fun stuff on there!

KANSAS

* Wizard Of Oz Museum, KS

* Sunflowers, Forts, Dinosaurs

Land Of Oz By KellyCali

Oz Museum By KellyCali

COLORADO

* Utah/CO border - Dinosaur Museum, CO

* Eisenhower Tunnel, CO

* Pikes Peak, CO

* Veil, CO

* Royal Gorge, CO

* Colorado River

UTAH

* Zion National Park

NEVADA

* CA/NV border - Hoover Dam

* Needles, NV - Home of Snoopy's Skinny Brother Spike

* Vegas - Space Needle/Roller Coasters

* CA/NV - Stateline/Roller Coaster/Bonnie & Clyde

CALIFORNIA

* Baker, CA/I-15 - World'd Largest Themometer

* Kelso Sand Dunes, Kelso, CA

* Calico Ghost Town, Calico, CA

* Calico, CA/I-15 - JFK Profile Rock Formation

* Hesperia, CA/I-15 - Bob's Big Boy, Large Big Boy Statue/Good Food

* San Monica Pier

* The Queen Mary (Ship)/The Spruce Goose (Plane)

* Pacific Coast Highway/aka The P.C.H.

* Oceanside, CA/Hwy 101 - Cafe 101

* Carlsbad, CA/I-5 - The Flower Fields

* Catalina Island

* Reagan Museum

* Nixon Museum

* Coronado Bridge, Coronado/San Diego CA

* Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA

* Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Brea Tarpits, Universal Studios, LegoLand, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Sea World, San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Diego/LA Zoo

ARIZONA

* Bullhead City

* Colorado River

* Lake Havasu

* Lake Mead

* Flagstaff, AZ

* Painted Desert

* The Grand Canyon

* Tombstone, AZ

NEW MEXICO

* Largest Road Runner

* Sky City, NM

TEXAS

* Hwy 66 - Row of Cadillacs

* Groom, TX/Hwy 66 - Giant Cross

OKLAHOMA

* Oklahoma Bombing Federal Bldg Memorial Site

HTH!

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 06-10-09 07:11 PM

What part of Nevada are you going through?

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Rae_M

The Santa Cruz Mystery Spot is cool. You can also go to the beach boardwalk there as well. Tons of fun, old time and newer rides.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Nancy Keslin

Oh, and the Winchester Mystery House is pretty kewl as well.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Nancy Keslin

what part of CA? It's a REALLY big state.

Kimberly29
Veteran
Kimberly29
In response to Seaexplore

Not sure where you are going through in Oklahoma but you could try here..

http://www.turnerfallspark.com/

It's right off of 35. It's really neat park to stop at. They have a natural swimming pool with a waterfall that flow into it, with a stream that winds it's way through the park..

Edited by Kimberly29 on 06-10-09 08:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kimberly29

hmphs,,,,,just do it with A/C and watch out for rattlesnakes,,,

I did a trip west on I-10 once from Pensacola FL to San Francisco CA in August with no AC and almost got bitten by a rattlesnake in AZ,,,,

oddly, it was one of the most fun trips of my entire life,,,,but I still would have preferred A/C!!!!!!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-10-09 08:57 PM
In response to CommaHolly

we are going to the big tree park in the north, and mostly in the LA area. Dh cousin is an oprah singer out there. So we are going to watch her sing. And go to Disney.

Los Vegas part of Nevada

KellyC I TOTALLY just sent your information to dh and dsd. Thank you all!

katie777
Diva
katie777
In response to CommaHolly

Have you ever been to Yosemite? BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm sure there are some awesome waterfalls this time of year. Since we have still had snow in the mountains and it's been cold here.

Have you ever watched Diners, Drive in's and Dives on food network? He ALWAYS goes to the best food joints! I tell ya, he has the best job ever! Imagine, traveling and eating at all those place for a living!! Sign me up!!! LOL!!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-10-09 09:02 PM
In response to katie777

ya totally! We were just watching it last night. Also checked the web site. They went to a place in Texas on last night's show that looked AWESOME!

scrapsister
Resident
scrapsister

How long are you staying everywhere?
And yes you have to have ac if your going through
Arizona it is hot hot hot.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 06-11-09 01:01 AM
In response to scrapsister

about a week and a half to two weeks. We are going to spend most of our time in L.A.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297

Not sure what part of TX you'll be through, but if you go through Amarillo, there is Cadillac Ranch (Stanly Marsh's creation...he's what you'd call an eccentric with way too much money and time on his hands). He also has posted signs (look like road signs) around town in Amarillo that are nonsense. Might have a strange picture or phrase on them. Kind of fun to go hunt all them out. Most of them are on the north end of town. Also in Amarillo is the trail of ponies. They are located throughout Amarillo. They are generally in front of businesses and are all painted with either art, business related things, etc. There is the Panhandle Plains History Museum in Canyon. Huge and an awesome museum. Palo Duro Canyon is cool and this time of year you can go see the play "Texas" each night. It's a nationally known play and is really good. In Lubbock you can go to the Buddy Holly museum.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to scoot297

If you're going thru the north part of CA (which I think is where the big trees are) then you'll probably miss Yosemite (it's pretty far east- almost Nevada) and Tahoe (border of Nevada and CA). I'd take the coastal route- maybe hit Sacramento (state capital) and head down to SF. Monterey is BEAUTIFUL and I'd skip SF in favor of Monterey. You can go down the coast to LA and hit Half Moon Bay (great brewery), SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Cambria (see Hurst Castle), Santa Barbara, San Clemente (I think it's N. of L.A. for breakfast), then LA. Heck, you could spend a full 2 weeks doing THAT drive alone! DH and I have done the south from Monterey (used to live there) and then the north from SF so we've driven the whole coast. It's fun!

Whatever you decide to do you'll have a GREAT trip.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 06-11-09 06:54 AM
In response to Seaexplore

If you want really weird you could go to Severence in Colorado for Bruce's famous Rocky Mountain Oysters.

For more serious Colorado places I would go to the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to CASBa

If you are going to the Redwoods, I would suggest Trees of Mystery. Excellent view of the most famous Redwoods. Also, a gondola ride to the top of a mountain and you are right over the tops of some of these awesome trees. There is a restaurant, gift shop, museum, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues, a hiking trail, picnic areas etc. Just an excellent stop in the Redwoods.

Nurse Kim
Pro
Nurse Kim
In response to scrapnread

Someone above mentioned Cambria Ca. We just camped outside of San Simeon. (Hearst castle) It is the most magical place. We were blessed to watch a pod of Killer whales, lazily swim in the cove for a couple of hours and hundreds of bottle nose dolphins too...

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 06-11-09 07:40 PM
In response to Nurse Kim

While on your way through Vegas, go through the Valley of Fire State Park- it's really beautiful and not that far out of the way!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Nurse Kim

Cabazon Dinosaurs might have a few funny photo ops and the gift shop inside one of the dinosaurs had some cool stuff (15-17 years ago when I used to pass it).
Cabazon, CA
http://www.cabazondinosaurs.com/main.htm

The Thing--falls in the category of just plain weird. Admission is cheap. We used to pass this 4 times a year on the way to and from camps and always BEGGED to stop. I think it took 4 years of begging to get Dad to stop. NOT worth driving extra miles, but odd and quirky thing to stop at IF you are passing by. The number of billboards for it is amazing.
Dragoon, AZ
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2023

Outside of Tucson, AZ is the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum ( http://www.desertmuseum.org/ ). It's a world renowned zoo specializing in animals of the region. If you go, plan on half a day at a bare minimum, preferably be there when they open in the morning as many desert animals take an afternoon nap to escape the heat.

I haven't been to Old Tucson, but it's a popular tourist attraction with great photo ops. http://www.oldtucson.com/

The Painted Desert (AZ)
http://www.arizona-leisure.com/painted-desert.html

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics