Username Post: First Album        (Topic#1507109)
Amanz
Amanz 
New Kid On the Block
Amanz
  • Amanz on 06-11-09 05:35 AM

I want to start scrapbooking! I have allready orginized some of my pictures and bought some supplies. And did 2 LO on paper.
But..... I still haven't bought an album!

I don't know anybody who scrapbooks and never even actually seen a scrapbook album!? (yeah... It's horrible)

So I was thinking of buying a 12 X 12 scrapbook album but I am getting confused?
What is actually in a scrapbook album? How is it different from a normal photoalbum?
I read about page protectors. Do you have to buy paper ore is it allready in there? And can you always add more Lo's???

(I hope these aren't stupid qestions but I am on a budget and I don't want to go out and just buy an album and then feel like I've bought something I don't like ore can't use)

Would you buy these for example:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=3...

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Amanz

Hi and Welcome to sb.com! Usually a scrapbook album is either post bound, D-ring or strap bound. Post bound means there are two posts coming up from the back that hold the pages into the album. D-ring is just like a note book you'd use for school. Strap bound is like post but instead of posts there are plastic straps and they make the album easier to expand. Now, Page protectors are the clear sleeves that you put your finished LOs in to protect them from sticky fingers, etc. If your album comes preloaded with page protectors they usually have white cardstock in them. You do not have to use this cardstock - take it out and use it as you wish in LOs. In reference to the evilbay items they look like regular post/strap bound scrapbooks to me. HTH

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to sweet1

Welcome, Amanz!

The only album I buy is the Creative Memories brand. You have to buy it from a representative or online. It is more expensive than some others you can buy, but it is high quality. The pages are buffered, which makes it easier to change things around, adhesive-wise, and less likely for any acidic elements to bleed. The album is strap hinged which makes it possible to expand. That plus the make-up of the spine allows you to have quite a few pages so you don't have to buy as many albums. Two page layouts look nice because the straps allow the two pages to be close together when the album is opened.

There are many fans of the post-bound albums, also. Some people get many layouts in an album because of post extenders, while others find them hard to work with.

Fans of D ring albums are happy with the ease of adding pages anywhere in the album you want. The disadvantage of that is they are not as sturdy and the two page layouts end up being far apart when you open up the album.

HTH

catey
catey 
Veteran
catey
  • catey on 06-11-09 08:40 AM
In response to johnsusan8

Welcome to Scrapbook.com! I think that it just depends on what you want. There are 12x12 albums that don't need the outside decorated like the We R Memory Keepers 12x12 albums, and the KMA 12x12 albums. Or if you want to decorate the outside, there are albums such as the American Crafts albums.

As far as page protectors, you can just buy the same brand page protectors, or if you still aren't sure which ones to buy, you can email our customer service by going here: http://support.scrapbook.com/

There is a difference between a photo album and a regular "layout holding" album. A photo album usually just holds your individual pictures. They are more used for when you organize your pictures and need a place to safely store them until you can scrap them, etc. A "layout holding" album is used more for keeping your pages safe after you have made them.

Right now, Scrapbook.com has a deal going on, where you can get 10% off of your order. To see more about this, you can follow this link: http://www.scrapbook.com/blog/view/151903.html

I hope this helps!

Catey

Amanz
Amanz 
New Kid On the Block
Amanz
  • Amanz on 06-15-09 11:48 AM
In response to catey

thank u so much for this usefull information you all!!!

if it says

Supplied sealed in cellothane.

true 12" x 12"
Bookend finish
15 pages of clear inserts
Flat lying pages
Plain covers to peronalise
button/ribbon fastening

is it then post bound, D-ring or strap bound?????

(sorry my english is not that great....)

New Kid On the Block
In response to Amanz

I'm thinking about doing all of mine on regular size paper and storing in file folders with the tabs labeled until I get enough done then I'm going to buy large 3 ring binders to store them in.....think that would work? I will have alot and I want to keep them all about the same size.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to notwrong

Amanz - I looked at the albums you linked, and yes, I would buy them. They are a little pricey.

The only type I don't like is strap hinge..love the American Crafts D ring..so easy to move your layouts around in.

notwrong - I have a couple of 8.5 x 11 albums that I have done the same thing, kept them in reg 3 ring binders. so, I'd have to say I think that is fine.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics