Username Post: Which Embossing Powder to use?        (Topic#1507471)
Tarynne Wise
Diva
Tarynne Wise

Hi there! I got a heat gun for my Birthday and am wondering what is the best embossing powder to use?

i heard Zing is really good, but it's more for very detailed stamps, which i really don't have.

Any suggestions on the brand that you think is best?

I was thinking i want clear, white and silver.

and what's the different from opaque and not?

Let me know what you think!!

Jamie Pope
Queen
Jamie Pope
In response to Tarynne Wise

Hi T! I've never used Zing so no help on that one. All of mine are Ranger and they work perfectly. I have some of the super fine powders for really detailed stamps and then some of the regular powders.

iammaryburke
Expert
iammaryburke

The clear powder will allow whatever color ink you use to show through. Any opaque (colored) powders will show up in the color of the powder.

I have several different brands of powders and have yet to be disappointed with any of them. I shop by color alone.

Some of my powders are shown below.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to iammaryburke

I get my powders from J's or M's- I have no clue what the brand is. I also shop by color not brand.

I have TONS of colors- I would recommend getting detail because it's finer and does a FANTASTIC job of covering the image. I have detail silver and detail black. The rest are all just regular old powders. Some stick well, some don't. I have found that the more juicy the stamp pad the better they stick. But there's a fine line between too juicy and WAY too juicy. Good luck- Just get some and play with it.

Tarynne Wise
Diva
Tarynne Wise
In response to Seaexplore

i apparently didn't take any advice, lol.

i was thinking about ordering the zing, but like i said, i dont have any really detailed stamps, i have mostly letters. so we'll see how that goes!

i got stampendous i believe. from michaels... white and silver. so we'll see!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

When heat embossing, you need to worry more about he ink than the powder. That's what makes the powder stick, not the powder itself. I've used several brands and they all seem to melt the same IMO.

You can use detail powder for any type of stamp, not just for highly detailed. I like detail powder because it gives a more polished look, the grains are very fine and cover the image well.

I have several Stampendous powders and really like them.

Tarynne Wise
Diva
Tarynne Wise
In response to Here Kitty

amy, the detail powders you mentioned, that's the zing, correct? sorry if my questions sound like you're talking to a wall, lol, just want to make sure to get it right!!

Kat Sprouse
Tenant
Kat Sprouse

I have used Zing, Ranger and Stampendous (sp?) powders. I used a silver metallic by Stampendous with a detailed stamp, and I wasn't pleased with the results... the detail was lost. So, I've learned that lesson... use a finer powder when you want detail.

I have used by Ranger and Zing powders several times and I love the results. The Ranger distress powders give an awesome "effect"... just use sand them after the embossing has set.

I use Versamark ink... not sure if others are better or worse. Would love to know what others recommend.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• Auntie T Said:
amy, the detail powders you mentioned, that's the zing, correct? sorry if my questions sound like you're talking to a wall, lol, just want to make sure to get it right!!

LOL, no, it's not like I'm talking to a wall
When a powder is a detail powder, that just means that it is very fine. The tinier bits can stick to detailed images easier, and that's why they work well on detailed stamps.

It's not really brand specific, it just depends on the size of the powder grains. But like I said, you can use detail powder on non-detail stamps and it will work just fine.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics