Username Post: How to get started?!?!?!?!?!?        (Topic#1507549)
Scrapalexis
New Kid On the Block
Scrapalexis

I'm new to the scrapbooking and I don't know where to start buying my supplies. I don't have much time to go through the massive product selections and would like your suggestions on how you shop. I've attached a poll where you answer whether you shop by brand, by shop/store, by product category, by theme, or by suggestions. I would love if you could tell me what you normally do.

Thanks a bunch!!

How do you shop for scrapbooking items?
I shop by brand
I shop by category
I shop by store
I shop by theme
I shop by magazine or forum suggestions
You may choose up to 2 options.
Votes accepted from 06-16-09 03:36 PM to 06-30-10 03:36 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Scrapalexis

I shop by brand, but for someone starting out, I think I'd go by theme...

what pages are you planning to do?

do you have great pics of you and your friends? or a wedding? or family celebrations...your pets?

shopping on this site by theme will help you pull together papers and embellishments.

or just post a thread asking for recommendations...teehee

nuskrappa
Diva
nuskrappa
In response to Scrapalexis

i dont really follow any of those.. i shop by what i need.. lol if i need punches.. i shop for punches.. if i want chipboard i shop for chipboard.

Cupcakes for Chloe
Pro
Cupcakes for Chloe
In response to nuskrappa

I dont shop by any of those either really! I usually shop by price first THEN by theme.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to nuskrappa

the best thing to do if you are just starting out is to get your basics.
A good trimmer (MM 12x12 is awesome)
good scissors (cutterbee)
adhesive
good card stock- bazzill
journaling pens
paper pircer
craft mat to protect your work area

and stuff of that nature. I wouldn't go crazy on the stickers, or all of the gadgets and deco scissors. Start out with the basics and buy per project, you'll save $ and be able to find what your style is without haveing all of those what was I thinking purchaces. Read the reviews for supplies in the superstore, or ask if you need to know how well a product works, or what it does. To kind of find your style go through the gallery and mark as fav the LOs and projects that really speaks to you for what ever reason.
Good luck, and welcome to sb.com and the wonderful world of scrapping

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Scrappin Kitty

I'd shop by store, lol,,,,,

I'd go to a good craft store (J's or M's) where you can walk around and LOOK at everything, get an idea of what's out there,what you like, what size everythng is, what the paper looks like, feels like, the thickness of different brands of paper, the textures, etc,,,,

what good does it do for me to tell you that I love the Paper co paper if you hate it? far better for me to tell you to go to J's and see the different brands yourself, IMHO,,,,,,

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to CommaHolly

Now that I am comfortable with products, I shop by brand. Before that, I just shopped with what I liked and a little of this and a little of that. But nothing ever matched all that well so now I buy lines of paper and embellies from the companies I love best.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to peenut_23

After you have your basics then I shop usually by price, theme, and just what I like!!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Welcome to sb.com!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Scrapbook Queen

BEFORE shopping for anything, especially high ticket items, go to crops where you can use a variety of tools. Have others show you best to use products.

As for the options in your poll, none fit me. I try to shop locally but when I can't find something, I'll order online.

It's a great idea to ask here about specific products or what's best for techniques.

When I first started scrapping, I bought alot of stickers and punches. Now over 10 years later, I've still got many of those stickers. I use punches still and don't regret those purchases. I love die cuts. I have so many punches, Sizzix and Cuttlebug dies along with a Wishblade and Cricut Expression.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I SHOP.......PERIOD!!

Hi my name is gina and I am a shopoholic....any where, any time and any place!!!

pharmgirl
Guru
pharmgirl
In response to gg loves Matthew

Welcome to SB.com!!!! My two cents:

I have a couple favorite online stores - sb.com being my number one. The BEST selection - the BEST customer service.

I do have favorite companies and sb.com carries them all.

You know what? Maybe you should look through some galleries and see if something catches your eye.

I would invest in some Bazzill cardstock and some patterned paper that appeals to you that might not be themed related - that would go along with photos from multiple themes, etc.

oh - and I just read scrappin kitty's advice and she gave good advice.

Edited by pharmgirl on 06-16-09 07:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to gg loves Matthew

• gg loves Matthew Said:
I SHOP.......PERIOD!!

Hi my name is gina and I am a shopoholic....any where, any time and any place!!!

You are so funny Gina but i guess that's just about right for me too!

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to Jordannichole

i shop by brand more than anything now but only b/c i know what i like. for you, i think going to a store to actually see the products would be best before you buy, whether at the store or on-line.

bazzill is def the best cardstock out there...ok, IMHO. and a few pattern papers that you like but are versatile would be good.

i'd say stay away from purchasing expensive tools til you've gotten your style figured out and also had the chance to try them several times at crops.

i'd also suggest not buying too many of one particular supply...find some things you like that coordinate (paper, buttons, flowers, alphabet stickers, etc.) so you can make several pages then you'll start to see what you really like and what doesnt really work for you.

and have fun!!! this is a great hobby!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics