Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Checking myself against the general population.        (Topic#1507729)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

What is the general opinion on siting sources when scraplifting?

What about product use?

As a sometimes writer/blogger and former Language Arts Major, I'm (possibly) too quick to call out when someone has not sited the orginal piece from which they scrap lifted. We all create from love; so I think it's a big point to share when you've been inspired by someone else's love.

I really appreciate when people note the products they used because sometimes I see an object that is covet-worthy and I simply must know if it's possible to find more of it for myself.

Your thoughts?

SmartAlli
Resident
SmartAlli
In response to MommaSaid

If I scraplift, I share who made the original. I figure it's only fair, the other person deserves to be recognized for inspiration.

And I too love it when someone shares the product they used. I have gone nuts trying to figure out who made a specific product in a layout or project more than I care to mention.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to SmartAlli

The only thing I consistently fail to note in products used is solid cardstock. Everyone has their favorite in a color really close. It's everything else that I simply MUST HAVE... at that particular moment, if not six weeks later.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to MommaSaid

I'm new to this, but I really like looking at the different products people have used, so I try to include as much info as I can myself. I can't always remember where some of my stuff (like a random red brad or white silk flower) comes from, though, but I'm not sure anyone cares about that. And I don't know if anyone cares about whatever cheap acrylic paint I've used. I also really like when people explain what they've done to make the layout. And of course sources should always be cited, says the librarian.
Lisa

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to lstory

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad about not listing my products, because HALF the time I can't find the things,,,,

as far as scraplifting, I DO give credit on the rare occasions I get inspiration from someone else,,

but I begin to wonder how long and how many lo's I must give credit for a style that seems to be evolving into my OWN style,,,,KWIM???

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to CommaHolly

I know what you mean, Holly. I'd feel comfortable with siting the source the first time, for sure. Once the style makes a regular appearance on LO's cards, what-have-you, I've noticed it takes on the personality of the "artist."

Sigh...

What's really got me a hair's width wiggy was a trip to the gallery. One girl/woman (I'm sure I don't know) said exactly that she "stole" the LO design from another artist on this site; never even appeared to consider siting her source. THAT.... feels like ants having a picnic under my nails.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

sometimes you forget exactly who inspired you, and I've seen that handled quite well,,,,

I've seen people say "I can't cite my source, because I forget, so if anyone knows who the original belongs to please inform me so that I may give her credit"

I think that at least shows a WILLINGNESS to give credit,,,,,,

otherwise, STEALING is a good word,,,,,,

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

That makes sense! I can insert benefit of the doubt that maybe she forgot... but didn't word it that way in all her excitement of creating something pretty.

Thank you for the perspective! I needed that1

Much like I need these clocks!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

HMPHS,,,,,,you're nicer than I,,,,,she SHOULD have worded it right,,,,,she could have at least said "I stole it but I forgot from who",,

shrugs,,,,,,it happens though, some people don't think it's rude to totally lift a LO and not give credit,,,,,,,,its just not something that bothers them,,,,

*Tricia*
Diva
*Tricia*

I think that if you can remember where you got an idea or inspiration, then as a general rule of thumb, if it is so conscious that you remember and try it out yourself than you should mention the source, even if you don't remember the particular details. This is how I do it so that I can maintaing a personal sense of integrity about what I do. That way *I* know that I am being clear about what is mine and what is only partly mine. Sometimes, I know almost nothing about where I got the idea, only that I had seen it somewhere before in which case I will write in my description something along the lines of : I tried this out after I saw it recently on a blog that I went to (can't remember the name, sorry!)

SOmetimes I am shocked by the things that I see that clearly I have seen somewhere else and credit isn't given. It's not something that gets me all fired up or anything, but it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. It definitely makes me look at those people differently after that.

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to *Tricia*

I do a lot of lifting and I always try to give credit where credit is due and I always try to list my products and even the fonts I use because I know I appreciate seeing others list what they used.

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to *Tricia*

I always give credit where it is due. Seems only fair. Not only that, but I drop a line to the person I lifted just to say.. hey I lifted your LO come check it out and thanks for the inspiration. No one cares if you lift a LO. Everyone does it from time to time. And everyone recognizes that in most cases, you are using it like a sketch and often the two look very different in the end. BUT it is only polite to cite your source.

When I first started posting online.. I wasn't always as careful about remembering exactly who I got stuff from or what products. But I too appreciate when folks list their products. If I see something I really like, I immediately put the stuff on my wishlist.

Now I keep a running list. I have a notebook with my sketch notes in it.. like how many photos I need and what size.. what colors I want to use.. whatever. I now keep a running tab of items I use, cause if I wait till I'm finished, I might forget stuff. If I'm lifting I always print out a copy..and always put up a link to the LO (if its on this site, of course.)

Whew, that was long winded. So yeah, I get what your saying. It would be very convenient if everyone listed their goodies!!

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to raindancer

If I do a direct lift, or lift a sketch I always say who it is from. If I just lift a tiny part of a LO however and everything else is my own, then I don't normally say it.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Scrappin Kitty

I always list the products. I haven't lifted but have mentioned before when someones style has influenced me.
Recently another scrapper and I posted very similar layouts and neither had seen the others layout..it was just a coincident that we had used the same products in the same way. So I think within a certain trend or style that two people can come up with similar ideas using the same products.
If I ever were to lift I would definitely mention the artist.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to dollscrap

just checking out the opinions.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to dollscrap

I lift a fair amount. I find lifting an overall design allows me to focus on practicing techniques and be more efficient with my precious scrapping time! I always give credit although I think there was one time where I lifted from the gallery and accidentally recycled the printed page before I could write down the artist. I did say it came from the gallery and I couldn't remember the name.

If it comes from a magazine or a book I just say which one it came from, not the designer or anything. I figure if they're publishing in a book, they know they're going to be lifted a lot. But maybe I should say the designer... I haven't really thought about it a lot.

I try to list all the products if I know them, but when I use separate pieces of paper (not from a stack) I rarely know the manufacturer (I'm just not familiar enough with them).

Since we're talking about what to include in the description, I have to say that I LOVE it when people describe how they did things in their layout. I'm just not familiar enough with what products are out there and never know if something is a stamp or a rub-on or hand-drawn, and I never know if something is altered or bought that way. I find it also gives you much more appreicationfor the work when you know all the little details someone went through to get an overall look.

*Tricia*
Diva
*Tricia*
In response to mercytiara

I have only been scrapbooking for about a year and a half but I have quickly forgetten how valuable all of that information would have been to me at the time. So MANY times I was like, how did she do that, or where did she get that? Now I'm a bit of a scrap shopaholic and so I know most of the products around and esp. the companies. I will make more of a concsious effort now to describe what techniques and products that I'm using.

As for the citing specific designers from magazines, I think that the only responsibility we have is to say that it is lifted or inspired by blank, besides that I think the rest is just a very nice courtesy. I think (not sure so don't quote me on it, hehe)that the same goes for written stuff, I don't think that you can be held responsible for copyright infringement so long as it is clear that it is a quote, even if the source is unknown. The only real issue is in actually trying to pass off another person's work as your own.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to *Tricia*

There are definitely trends that show up across a lot of different layouts. I just posted a layout featuring a circle of flowers, which certainly isn't unique because I've favorited a lot of LOs with the same basic concept. I credited Mar73 for the lift, though, because I used several other ideas from her, too.
Lisa

mrbabcock
Veteran
mrbabcock
In response to lstory

I scraplift fairly often, especially when I'm trying to get something done quickly. I also participate in a scraplifting challenge, so we are probably furthering the cause of scraplifting. I do cite the source, since I've pretty much always got them saved in my favs file.

There will always be people who don't credit, but I do think that if we voluntarily post our LOs here, without the intent of copyrighting them, then we reliquish a degree of control over other's scraplifting. There is a sense of common courtesy that you should site your source.

on the products thing though, boy do I get aggravated when there are no products posted! I'll love a product that was used, and then have no idea what it was, what brand, etc! The angry jealous monster in me pops out and growls about not being able to get the item.

I do try and post as many products as possilbe, and will list the other products as needed to the extent that I can!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to mrbabcock

I try to give credit when I've scraplifted an idea, BUT, there is another side to this as well. I posted a LO and received a PM that was very nasty about how I had scraplifted and hadn't given credit. I was amazed because I had not even seen the LO that I was accused of scraplifting. There are thousands of scrappers out there, and there is just a very good possibility that some of them are going to be using the same color paper or the same layout style on any one day, maybe because they were inspired by the same article in a magazine. It's important to give credit where credit is due, but it's equally as important to realize that the person accused of scraplifting may not have ever seen your LO.

Edited by dwelch on 06-19-09 09:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics