Username Post: o.k. so I want to start stamping...        (Topic#1507805)
jcuzzort
Resident
jcuzzort

but I have NO idea where to even start. What do I need? Stamps, yes I know. I have some and the clear block to put them on. But I lose it when it comes to the one million types of inks and powders and stuff out there. I don't know which is best or what is a need-to-have and what is a -nice-to-have. Anyone have a starting list they wouldn't mind sharing?

TIA

Jennifer

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to jcuzzort

Well, I'd say start with a black ink and a brown ink b/c they're versatile (well, I use them the most anyhow). I like Tim Holtz's Distress Inks - you can use them for stamping, embossing, and inking edges. Another good ink to have is Staz-on - it dries fast and is great for glossy surfaces (buttons, acrylic, transparencies, etc). Pick one color you'd use most.

From there it's more about what colors you like. You can get some ink in groupings - colorbox & My Mind's Eye have them. Colorbox also has the small cats eye inks which are easy to use and don't take up much space. I'm linking ink sets I found in the sb.com store, but really I buy based on the color I want to use.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

And here's a good reference for you of the different kinds of ink -- you can find more info under the "resources" tab. Good luck and have fun!!!

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/37887/27 2.html

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 06-19-09 02:25 PM

There's also a Cardmaking and Stamping sub-forum here that may provide lots of useful info!

Tracy S.
Queen
Tracy S.

you use an acrylic block for clear stamps and unmounted rubber.

You use different inks depending on what you want to do.

Pigment stays wet longer and is "juicer"...it is great for embossing.

Dye ink dries fast so does Staz On.

although Staz on will run or smear with alcohol based markers if you are coloring. It is great for water coloring though.

I color with Copics so I use Memento Ink in tuxedo black.

jcuzzort
Resident
jcuzzort
In response to jcuzzort

Thanks for the replies. The links and suggestions are awesome. That will give me a jumping off place. Research night tonight!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Tracy S.

• PresentScraps Said:
you use an acrylic block for clear stamps and unmounted rubber.

You use different inks depending on what you want to do.

Pigment stays wet longer and is "juicer"...it is great for embossing.

Dye ink dries fast so does Staz On.

although Staz on will run or smear with alcohol based markers if you are coloring. It is great for water coloring though.

I color with Copics so I use Memento Ink in tuxedo black.

Ditto what she said! Memento inks are good, and not very expensive either. I get them when they're half off at HL and pay $2.50 a piece.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics