Username Post: acid free?        (Topic#1508269)
New Kid On the Block

I just started scrapbooking. I know most materials need to be acid free...do all embelishments need to be acid free? Like ribbons and stickers?

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to sjworthington

It just depends on what you're comfortable with...I don't really worry about things being acid free. Some folks won't use anything that's not acid free and some will use it, but won't let it touch the picture...

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 06-25-09 12:59 PM
In response to StaceyE

Most ribbon should be acid free since it is fabric. Metal, glass, etc. should also be fine. It is more the paper and paper like (ie chipboard, stickers, etc.) that you have to worry about being acid free. I don't really worry about it either, but if you are worried about it just make sure the item in question isn't touching your photo. It should be fine then.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to CASBa

There's also a ph pen that can be used on products you are unsure of. If it shows it contains acid, you can put it in an special see-through envelope or spray it with archival spray or choose not to use it at all.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to johnsusan8

While it's best to try to be archival safe as possible, you can't always be 100% sure. Even with manufacturers make mistakes, so things marked acid free or archival safe, doesn't always end up being so.

The whole point of this is that our pages/albums last as long as possible but let's get real here. Even if you did everything right, used only the safest products a fire, flood, or a brat can ruin your hard work. So I highly recommend scanning or digitizing your work. Back up to DVDs/CDs and/or websites. Just for peace of mind.

I'm not as strict with stuff I use. Many things are acid free, but like I said before, even things marked as acid free aren't always so. I have a ph tester and use it often.
Products Referenced in This Post:

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Looking at journals and scrapbooks I kept in the 60's and 70's, I noticed that the non-acid-free background pages were brittle and crumbling apart, and that the glues and tapes I used left big yellow stains on everything. However, the greeting cards, train tickets, paper napkins, concert programs, etc., even some images I cut out of a paper birthday party tablecloth from when I was 5 years old, were all fine, little to no yellowing or effect on the items around them.

Based on that, my approach to acid-free is that the papers I build my layouts with and my adhesives MUST be acid-free. Everything else I don't worry so much about. I prefer acid-free, and I do have a can of preservation spray (there's Archival Mist, and I think Krylon also makes one) to use on things I'm not sure about. But the only things that I insist on being acid free are my papers and adhesives.

Edited by animemama on 06-27-09 10:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-07-09 11:28 PM
In response to sjworthington

I've been scrapping for over 30 years. This means before the was acid free on the shelves. It actually can take years before you see any yellowing. On somethings I'm still waiting. And I used high acid glues. Archival quality is supposed to be measured in 100's of years not the 20 that most manufacturers promise. So

The main thing to watch out for is photos. Photo inks simply cannot be 100% acid and lingin free. They will change, degrade, or fade. So protect the photo when scrapping. If in doubt about anything put it on a corner of a page where if it does discolour it wont ruin your photo.

And it does not hurt if scrapping the picture of great grand dad to get a copy made put the original safely in an archival box and scrap the copy.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-07-09 11:32 PM
In response to animemama

• Quote:
Looking at journals and scrapbooks I kept in the 60's and 70's, I noticed that the non-acid-free background pages were brittle and crumbling apart, and that the glues and tapes I used left big yellow stains on everything. However, the greeting cards, train tickets, paper napkins, concert programs, etc., even some images I cut out of a paper birthday party tablecloth from when I was 5 years old, were all fine, little to no yellowing or effect on the items around them.

Don't you hate it when you are looking at a page done in the 70's and the glue just snaps like old gum? I'm always worried there is going to be a huge hole in my page but the papers always fine.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Obi

I'm like alot here,,,,,i try very hard to make sure everything is acid free,,,,,acid DOES travel,,,,so when I make a mini-book, I use acid free cs albums, rather than paper bag albums, most of the time (I do have a paper bag album I'm working on now for fun, just to try, but i don't expect to store my only copies of any photos in there!),,,,,,and I use acid free papers and embellies whenever possible,,,

having said that, I HAVE used items like cardboard and chipboard (which is often acidic believe it or not!!!) on my LO's because I like the effect,,,

I figure I will make HUNDREDS of LO's of my children and gc over my life,,,,,if one or two of them croak,,,,,well, there's still the other 399 LO's

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics