Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: when to begin????        (Topic#1508285)
New Kid On the Block

I just bought a scrapbook and im ready to begin....but where??/ i have thousands of pictures on my laptop (some from 5 years ago) and just cant decide which year/season/event to start from!!! any advice for this beginner??

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to CherryCrush

The best part about scrapbooking is there's no right place to start. Find pictures that speak to you, something recent probably, get a few printed, look at sketches/LOs for inspiration and go from there.

Make sure you have the appropriate stash of materials to work with -- a good trimmer, adhesive, scissors, and a good pen. Then, once you've decided what you want to scrap, decide on the cardstock color and any pattern papers and/or embellishments that you want.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to CMLeach

I agree with the above however I would not start with your most fav pics. You are going to grow after your 1st couple of pages and fall into a routine. I would start with some practice pics

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to lifeinthefastlane

When I first started, I found it easiest to work with current pics. The memories are fresh and journaling is easier. I started right before my wedding, so my wedding albums are my first "real" albums. Not sure I'd suggest that though. I discovered my style after a couple of albums, and so my wedding albums aren't some of my best work. At least I only used the candids from people and not the professional pics.

~ShawnaH~
Veteran
~ShawnaH~
In response to scraprabbit

I agree that current moments might be easier but you will get better the more you do it so just keep that in mind when deciding.

catey
catey 
Veteran
catey
  • catey on 06-26-09 02:06 PM
In response to ~ShawnaH~

It's completely up to you. When I scrap, I have to sort my pictures first into an album by date, so that I can just pull out those pictures and then some supplies, and start scrapping.

Also, you can check out the Beginner's Section in the Scrapbook.com Superstore: http://store.scrapbook.com/bescsthe.html

If you haven't already done so, you can sign up for Scrapbook.com's newsletter. It always contains a ton of material, as well as amazing discounts on products. You can sign up for it by going here: http://www.scrapbook.com/free-scrapbook-ideas.htm

Good luck, and don't forget to share what you come up with with the rest of us!

Catey

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to catey

When I started (10 1/2 years ago!!) I started with current pictures, then worked my way backwards from there. Every time I got more new pictures I would scrapbook those, then pick up with the older pictures. this might not work for everyone, a lot of people don't like to scrap chronologically, but it seems like an easy place to start until you firgure out you like to work.

ozzyvik
Diva
ozzyvik
In response to animemama

Just pick out a photo you love and go for it... remember theres no rules in scrapbooking. But like above I usually do the current ones and work backwards!!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to animemama

• animemama Said:
When I started (10 1/2 years ago!!) I started with current pictures, then worked my way backwards from there. Every time I got more new pictures I would scrapbook those, then pick up with the older pictures. this might not work for everyone, a lot of people don't like to scrap chronologically, but it seems like an easy place to start until you firgure out you like to work.

What I suggest, too. I love scrappy chronologically but I do several years at a time. Currently, I'm working on April, 2009, August 2007 and February 2008, along with early '90's pages that the glue is becoming unstuck on.

Plus I make gift albums and scrap all of my sister's pix, so I jump around all these projects and make cards from scraps.

I scrap chronologically because if I only did the pix that I liked or were inspired by, most of my life and the lives my family would NEVER get scrapped.

New Kid On the Block

I know I this was posted in june, but i am new to here so just reading them all. I have a suggestion for you also to help, maybe in future. I had the same problem so overwhelmed on all the pictures and do i need a book for each one. Finally I came up with a idea that i could just start scrap'n anything i wanted. That is what scrappin was suppose to be fun! My idea: I make A to Z albulms. I have a albulm that i put enough pages in it to go thru the alphabet. For example. For A ( i did a two page layout of my son Aundre). B next two pages ( I could not figure out a two page layout so I did one page boy scout and then one page bubbles ( him in bathtub). So see, you can scrap anything y0u want by looking at your picture and picking out something in it, or about it to start with that letter. This also helps you with the title then also. Then when I am finished with one albulm, i start a new A to Z volume 2. No themed books
Hope this could come in handy not to just you but others.

New Kid On the Block

Hello, Please read my new post in front of yours on A to Z albulms... Reading your post inspired me to share this idea. I hope this helps a little.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Scrappy41

They first step I always take when scrapbooking is to sort out my pictures on my desktop. I will start creating categories and placing them in the appropriate folders. Then every sort of falls into place. For example I have day at the beach, out on the town, concerts, christmas, family time, etc. Do one category at a time and then it works perfect.

------------------------- -------------------
Happy Scrapbooking,
TAE
www.sfscreatives.com

"A creative mind is rarely tidy."

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to SFScreatives

Some people find it easier to start with the most recent pictures since they are fresh in your memory and work backwards.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to livelovecreate86

I always buy my albums with a theme in mind. Which set of pictures works best with your album?

You may find that some sets don't work with the size because it might be too large or too small. By this I mean the paper size may not be large enough or the paper size is too small for the pictures you have.

You might find others do not work with it because you have too many pictures in a set and you can not expand it. Or you may find you have not enough to fill it.

You might have picked an album with a certain design or color that goes best with a certain set of pictures. The pictures themselves might have these colors or theme within them.

The style of the album may or may not work with a certain set of pictures. Like if you bought a leather album with polka dots that is teal and biege it may not go with the theme of wedding photos. Just an example mind you.

Also you may want to pick a portion of your photos and look through them and find 20-30 pictures that just make you want to scrap them. Then ask yourself if the album you bought works for those pictures in your opinion. If they do you have your beginning if they don't, set those aside and look for another set.

Buying your first album is always a great start but usually it is a great idea to know exactly what that album is for. Have a game plan before hand, otherwise, it becomes confused and jumbled. Becareful not to get so excited about starting and lose direction. It may cost you supplies and money you didn't want to spend.

I would look at my album and think about the pictures you have. Try and decide which set really speaks to the theme, size, abilities, and style of your album. Sometimes it is easier to know what doesn't work and go from there. Eventually you will break it down into what does work. You might even get some of your pictures organized in the process. A lot goes into an album in my opinion. I am just one small voice though. You have to decide what you believe goes into an album and what you think works with the one you purchased.

Good Luck!

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to ImForwardByDesign

pick a picture you adore and scrap it. I do not worry about order one bit. I just do what I want and what feels right

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I agree with a few "test run" pages first. But after that what do you want to show off? If it's friends & family then scrap friends & family photos. If it's vacations, then scrap vacations. etc. etc.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to planty

• planty Said:
pick a picture you adore and scrap it. I do not worry about order one bit. I just do what I want and what feels right

Ditto!

ratspeech_415979
Tenant
ratspeech_415979
In response to Manda_K

Find your favorite pics

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 10-06-09 12:28 PM
In response to ratspeech@yahoo.com

start current and work your way back,

reason for this: the more you scrap, the more your picture taking habits will change. It will be easier to scrap some of the older pictures after you have done this for a while.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to j3Mel

Start with something! whatever moves you. The first cut is the hardest, you'll be amazed how it just starts pouring out.

I started out as a real time line scrapper. Had to do the vacations in perfect order. Now I can bounce around from place to place and time period to time period. A lot of time the challeges will inspire me and I'll think ---- Oh I 've got the perfect photo for that.

Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics