Username Post: Help for an album about a trip...        (Topic#1508551)
mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Hello!!

I'm planning on starting, finally!!, a 12x12 album about a trip I went on around the USA in 1999, at the end of my year as an aupair.

I joined the tour in Chicago, where I was living by then, and we visited places like Badlands, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Las Vegas, San Francisco, L.A., etc we also held a farewell party,...

I'd appreciate any kind of ideas, tips, examples, etc

I'm thinking about using kraft cardstock as a base since it's a great color to combine with both earthy colors (for the national parks) and brighter ones (for the other kind of cities and parties), what do you think??

Any other way to unify the album??

HELP ME, please

THANKS SO MUCH

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to mariangeles_spain

I just recently did an album for my son who traveled to Italy and Germany look in the scrapbook store under travel for some papers and stickers for places you have been. Have fun!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to Matthews Wife

I just finished up my UK and Paris album this year, and I didn't really have a unified theme throughout it and I liked it that way. There are loads of new papers that I wish I had when I was doing this album, well it's really in two albums stuffed to the max!

Have fun!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to Samothrace

Thanks!!!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Any more ideas???

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone

I am working on my dd's semester in Europe, she went to 13 different countries.

I am doing it a country at a time. I use pp that fits the pictures, but try to use unified type per country.

for example: most of Scandinavia is in BG's Periphery...except the one of the log cabin they stayed in.. But the facing 2 pages match.

Am also organizing it chronologically, the first page is her itenerary..and am using tickets and ephemera on the pages wherever possible

the best thing I did was use 2 - Am Crafts D Ring albums...makes it easy to move around. AND I can insert her comments from a class notebook she kept in 8.5 x 11 page protectors.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to mjmone

• mjmone Said:
I am working on my dd's semester in Europe, she went to 13 different countries.

I am doing it a country at a time. I use pp that fits the pictures, but try to use unified type per country.

for example: most of Scandinavia is in BG's Periphery...except the one of the log cabin they stayed in.. But the facing 2 pages match.

Am also organizing it chronologically, the first page is her itenerary..and am using tickets and ephemera on the pages wherever possible

the best thing I did was use 2 - Am Crafts D Ring albums...makes it easy to move around. AND I can insert her comments from a class notebook she kept in 8.5 x 11 page protectors.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

I've bought a post bound 12x12 album + page protectors ages ago thinking in this project. I loved & enjoyed this trip so much and wanted to make a big album since the begining

Now, I just need to visit a friend of mine in her LSS to buy kraft cardstock and some travel stamps

Will keep you all posted!!

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

Anyone came up with something else?

Renbear
Diva
Renbear

Oh my goodness...I'm not sure if I would be any help or not because I have definately gone overboard on my project.

I'm currently (and have been for almost a year now) working on my trip to Paris from last year. I started "collecting" papers and embellishments close to two years BEFORE going on the trip. I am now starting the 4th book. I took over 3,000 photos, and even though everyone has told me, "You don't have to use them all..." I love my photos and memories so much that its been hard not to use them (hence, going on to a 4th book!)

I didn't keep a uniform theme throughout the books - what I did was let each place dictate what pages I would use. Museums and historic landmarks I used stately designed papers with flourishes and patterns. For gardens I used flowery, flowing, and mostly green papers. If anything had any industrial flair I used metallics and browns. I have about 96% of my layouts from my books in my gallery.

I think that if you want to stay with one unifying theme/feel to your book you're on the right track. Keeping with craft paper is a good idea, especially since it will look like an heirloom book since that is what antique scrapbooks were on instead of white pages. You can use embellishments and natural fibers to enhance your specific locations that will match with the subject of that page...as you already know - there is sooooo much out there.

For my wedding album I kept two unifying items throughout my book, the color of blue and snowflakes (winter wedding with a snowflake theme) and it worked out really nice! I bought about 50 pages of the same color blue cardstock that matched my wedding color and used it mainly in the book, but I also added other shades of blue and printed papers. Every once in a while the unifying blue page was used for borders and matting if I didn't use it for the background page.
The only thing I had difficulty with while working with a unifying look was that it was easy to stray away from the plan sometimes. I would get caught up in a few pages that didn't have any blue in it (either because it didn't fit what I was scrapping about, or I would get caught up in a really pretty printed paper) and I would obsess about it worrying if I should redo the page, but I would just let myself go with the creative process - so not every page in my book has blue on each page (which again, is okay for some of the things I scrapped - husband's bachelor outing was to a paintball field, so that page is done in green chamoflauge) but since I mostly have the blue and snowflakes throughout a good portion of the book it all ties in well together!

Okay...this was proabably ALOT more information than you needed, and may not have helped too much - but I have a tendancy to babble!
Good luck with your book! I'd love to see how it turns out!!
~Ren

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to Renbear

Thanks Renbear !!

Off to see your gallery

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo

Ithink your idea to use Kraft colored paper as a background is a good one.

I've done a three complete travel albums now (a Santa Fe/Fort Worth/Ozarks trip, a South Dakota trip and a Colorado trip). I am also wanting to start one on Las Vegas now but can't find my mojo... or any real spare time at the moment. I have a lot of fun with these... although they tend to include lots photos and rather simple adornment. I think only Colorado LO's have really showed up in my gallery though (in their own album).

I have to confess I generally don't worry about trying to tie the whole album together, but rather try to put the little pieces of it together. For instance, if I were doing your trip, I would just try to unify any other colors and embellishments for each area... Las Vegas, the Badlands, Yellowstone etc. I also like big titles to tell the audience/your album viewer quickly exactly what they are seeing... or at least give them a clue anyway. Die cut shapes (like different states) or fonts or rub ons or stickers even are a great way to do this as far as I am concerned.

Well, anyway, have fun with this! Makes me really want to start mine now...

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain
In response to KatieJo

I've already bought some kraft cardstock and some more stuff.

I've also bought a package of We R Memory Keepers - Page Protectors - 6 Up - 4x6 Inch Photo Sleeves - Fits 12x12 Post Bound Albums; I think those page protectors are going to be so helpful for sections with lots of pics or postcards.

Can't wait to start!!! but it'll have to wait a little bit since I went to IKEA last Mon, July 20th, and I'm reorganizing my scraproom right now so my boyfriend and I can share space

I'll keep you posted!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics