Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Hi! Embellishments??        (Topic#1509433)
DestinyHiggins
New Kid On the Block
DestinyHiggins

Hi! My name is Destiny, I am 26 married to a wonderful man named Brian with two beautiful children. I have a 3 year old daughter named Shaelyn and a 1 year old son named Caulin. We live in Redding,Ca. I am very new to scrap booking and I have bought some supplies but my first real question is what are some good embellishments for a beginner to buy that I'll be able to get started with? I'm on a fairly limited budget and didn't want to just go buy everything in the store It all looks so lovely but I'd like experienced scrap booker's advice here I don't want to end up buying a lot of things that I won't use or not buying things that will end up working out beautifully. I'm just looking for a little advice Thank you!
Destiny~

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-08-09 06:47 PM
In response to DestinyHiggins

Welcome.

That is a very hard question to answer because everything I buy I intend to use. But I don't and can't use it all.

I would most likley start with a pre made kit. You can get them pretty cheaply. Try it out scrap a few pages see what you actually use and go from there.

carrievision
Veteran
carrievision
In response to Obi

I'd say some good versatile embellishments are flowers and letter stickers. Enjoy !!

DestinyHiggins
New Kid On the Block
DestinyHiggins
In response to Obi

Thank you, yeah I bought a few kits like that. I liked them but I was thinking along the lines of flowers, brads, gems....I dunno stuff like that? I have done a few pages and they seem kind of plain.....Thanks!

Edited by DestinyHiggins on 07-09-09 08:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign

Hey there and welcome... For me, because of my style, I have to have floss for stitching, ribbon, sticker fonts, brads, buttons, paper clips, safety pins, colored staples, paper accents like valentines day paper hearts, eyelets, stickers of any kind, tags, ribbon weaver embellishments, and then I like punches because you get the punched out design but also the punch out. If you haven't noticed you can use just about anything. There are no rules when it comes to this stuff.

Hope this helps you liven up your LO's.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to ImForwardByDesign

How about ribbon and cutting different pieces of pp into different shapes? Also stickers, buttons, flowers (buy a small amount first) stuff like that.

afdani1984
Expert
afdani1984
In response to sweet1

If you have a Joannne's or a Michael's nearby..check out their dollar section. They usually have a little of alot of stuff. I've gotten small packs of flowers, chipboard buttons, paper strips, brads, gems, for $1 a piece. I get my buttons from wal-mart for cheap too.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane

Thats tough. When I 1st started I was doing my oldest daughters baby book. I went into Ms, Js and ACM and bought every.single.thing that had to do with a baby girl. I thought my husband was going to fall over when I told him (he was deployed to Iraq) I just didnt know where to start.

Knowing what I know now, I would buy a stack or 2 of paper, the basic tools (scissors, trimmer, glue, etc) a stack of basic cardstock that would match the 2 pp stacks, and embellishments it depends on what you are scrapping. I have 3 girls, so I use tons of flowers. But if I had boys I wouldnt use many. So I would buy, or should have bought LOL, a black ink pad, a handful of Studio G clear stamps, a journaling pen (basic black), a package or 2 of flowers, a couple of sheets of alpha stickers, a corner rounder (I use mine so much!). Then I would buy other items on eBay- when I started I went there and bought brads and eyelets in a mixed lot. It was a decent assortment to start out with. I also currently buy ribbon by the yard on there.
Products Referenced in This Post:

DestinyHiggins
New Kid On the Block
DestinyHiggins
In response to lifeinthefastlane

Thank you all so much! I have loads of paper/card stock and alphabet stickers/chipboard (my handwriting isn't the prettiest). I also have the tools, glue runner w/ refills, 2 sizes of glue dots my friend gave me her extra paper trimmer and I bought a bypass paper cutter because I prefer that style, I have tons of sharpie markers in every size tip you can buy, and loads of acid free gel pens(lots of colors and glitters :). I have done a few lay-outs but they are still lacking pizazz and I think it's something in the 3-d department that maybe the flowers/brads/gems/ribbon s things of that nature add to it. Thank you so much for your advice!
Destiny~

Scatter
Guru
Scatter

Don't forget you don't have to buy everything. I think it's fun to make embelishments

ribbon flowers

Funky flowers

There's tons of tutorials out there. I blog hop and find all kinds of fun things.

Good luck, and welcome.

DestinyHiggins
New Kid On the Block
DestinyHiggins
In response to Scatter

Oh those are both super cute ideas thanks!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

a few ideas,,,

2-3 different sized flower punches to make layered flowers with your scraps (use coupons!!)

buttons,,,,go OUTSIDE the scrapping area to buy these,,,I buy big bags for 5.00 at M's

ribbons can be bought for a buck,,,

lace can be had for a buck a yard if you look,,,

you CAN use small silk flowers instead of primas, usually for half the price,,,,just cut them off the stem with wire cutters, and the center can be replaced with buttons, or you can reglue the center (which tends to fall off once it's cut off the stem),,,just watch the size, lol, or you'll have LO's that won't FIT in an ablum,,,and wind up using alot of shadow boxes,,you can use large FLAT flowers like daisies easily though,,,,I buy silk flowers at the dollar store ALL the time,,,,a buck for a bunch gives me more flowers than a 4.00+ pack of primas,,,M's and J's often have their flowers on sale too 50 + % off, especially off season flowers,,,

HTH!!!

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to CommaHolly

When I was on the mainland I bought tons of stuff from the dollar stores and places like Big Lots (none here in Hawaii) In this LO I bought these flowers at Dollar General- there were 7 in a bunch for $3

Why I {heart} to scrapbook closeup By Lifeinthefastlane

Why I {heart} to scrapbook By Lifeinthefastlane

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to lifeinthefastlane

i would say flowers. i love flowers! buttons and stickers (especially letter stickers) are great too! buttons are fun to work with. good luck, let us know what you get when you go shopping!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-11-09 03:01 PM
In response to anthonysgirl

I think your best bet is to spend some time in the gallery here to see what embellishments appeal to you on layouts.

Mark as a favorite the layouts that you like or the ones with embellishments that you like. Most of the artists list the products they used, so you can look for what they used. If they didn't list what they used, you can send them a private message to ask. Everyone here is really friendly and I'm sure they would be happy to answer/help you.

I have two young boys (age 2 and newborn) and most of my scrapping is about them, so I tend to look for little boy embellies (buttons, stars, hearts, animals, creatures, nature-related items, chipboard of any kind, and ribbon/ric rak). I don't use a lot of flowers on my pages.

I personally think it's a mistake to buy a bunch of stuff before you indentify the styles and types of layout that you like.

You may find it more useful to buy punches rather than individual embellishments. You can buy a punch to make almost anything and it's a really cute look to layer items, so you might want to buy the same shape punch in a few different sizes.

Don't buy a lot of stickers. If you peruse the gallery here, you'll notice that most artists don't use stickers much.

I don't personally embellish a whole lot but I do love punches. Example of square punch to make a layout:

Celebrating 3 Months
By IzzyB

DestinyHiggins
New Kid On the Block
DestinyHiggins
In response to IzzyB

You guys are very helpful and I appreciate it so much!

ScrapbookingMentor
New Kid On the Block
ScrapbookingMentor

Hi Destiny...

I agree with the others that ribbon's and flowers are always a must and quite inexpensive (esp. if your purchase a great flower punch and some brads and make your own).

I also heavily favor chipboard. It doesn't matter what's shape it's in - it's always really inexpensive and add's the dimension to your pages that ONLY chipboard can.

I found some amazing chipboard letters with autumn patterns and glitter on them once and I went nutso creating cards and pages with just one letter on them because they just looked so cool!

You can sort of see them here:

http://www.scrapbookingdirections.com/gallery/displayim...

If you can find those - you will no doubt have a ton of fun with them.

(Unfortunately mine are all gone now and I haven't found any since!!! I don't even know who designed them!!)

*If anyone else does I would love to know!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to ScrapbookingMentor

Use your computer/printer for titles/journaling. You NEVER run out of a letter you need:)

You can add glitter, dimensional adhesive, gems to make it look like acrylic, sparkly, etc or make them 3-d with foam dots.

For tons of printing/inking ideas, visit my blog.

scrapbookdiva76
Veteran
scrapbookdiva76
In response to scraperfect

Hi Destiny! I go to yard & garage sales looking for scrabble games & use the tiles from them then take the boards & put together a scrapbook page that i can display in my home..i've paid like a $1 & all the game pieces were accounted for..i just started 2 day getting into ribbions & buttons & i went & raided my flowers for my wreath making supplies..I LOVE it! & joanns has ribbion for like a $1, but im also a big fan of stickers & 3-d stickers also..Cant wait to see your Lo's!

Edited by scrapbookdiva76 on 07-18-09 01:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vintage Beginnings
Expert
Vintage Beginnings
In response to scrapbookdiva76

INK PADS in basic colors are a versitile item.
- You can purchase basic white buttons, white flowers, etc and ink them to whatever color you need.
- 1$ stamps at H.L., Michaels, AC Moore, etc.
- ink edges of papers, etc.

Save the cardboard from packaging, cereal boxes, etc. to cut out shapes and alter them with paper, etc making your own 3-D embellies.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics