Username Post: Heritage pages        (Topic#1509979)
rockmom
Governor
rockmom

Hi everyone, I am new to Scrapbook.com but I must say I love this place! I've been scrappin for a long time - that "Scrapbooking...Remember When" thread makes me laugh because I am right there with y'all. Mrs. Grossman's stickers, deco scissors, templates, 8 1/2 X 11 paper, the blue pencil and all.

I took a break for a while. Now I am back and did an internet search to see what's new, wow I loooove it! The evolution is amazing. A thought, do we leave those ugly pages alone or re-do them? Mine will most likely stay as-is because I have so many more to do but was curious to everyone else's take.

Now my real reason for posting: Heritage pages. I am ready to do our family's "old" photos from waaay back when. I really want everyone's thought on the best way to do these. Copy the photos or use the originals? I have never used copies because the whole idea was to preserve them and the history of our family, but maybe I should re-think this...

What products do you like for heritage pages? Are there any tutorials for heritae pages? Come on y'all, share your thoughts please.

Denise

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to rockmom

I usually copy old photos but for the main reason of enlarging and them. Most of my old family photos are black and white snap shots and a lot are photo booth size from back in the 30's and 40's. Plus, I like to use them on my pages without having to worry about damaging the originals with adhesives and stitching, etc. If I copy them I feel I can get more creative with them, knowing that if I mess up I still have the original that I can copy again if needed.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to olleharr

I recently did a heritage album for my mom and I used the original photos. They had been stuffed in shoe boxes for many, many years, and alot of them were not in great condition to begin with, so I felt like I actually saved them from further damage by putting them securely in an album. There were some that I needed to resize so I did copy those.

As for papers, My Mind's Eye has a collection called Wild Asparagus that I used and really liked. Most of my pics were from the '30s and '40s in Italy so that collection worked great. If you're doing more Americana, Cosmo Cricket has a collection called Early Bird that I just ordered (at the suggestion of someone here at sb.com -- always a reliable source!!) for my '50s pics for dh's photos.

Good luck!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to provinca

so funny, I'm just about ready to pull out those old pics, also.

I think I am also going to go with the originals, no use just putting them back into the shoebox, right?

My Uncle just helped me identify some of them.
The family are from Indiana...so for pp I'll look for something with a farmer/country flair..
the new Jenni Bowlin might be good

though a while ago, I took an online class that used an old Cosmo Cricket called Dutch Girl..I did like the look of that...

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to mjmone

Thanks y'all!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to rockmom

• rockmom Said:
Thanks y'all!

I like K and co ancestry.com papers for my heritage LO's,,,,,

Making Memories has some great vintage stuff just coming out called Vintage Findings,,,,you can find them at M's, they don't have them here (hopefully soon!),,,although they DO have some MM vintage brads etc here,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz
In response to rockmom

• rockmom Said:
Hi everyone, I am new to Scrapbook.com but I must say I love this place! I've been scrappin for a long time - that "Scrapbooking...Remember When" thread makes me laugh because I am right there with y'all. Mrs. Grossman's stickers, deco scissors, templates, 8 1/2 X 11 paper, the blue pencil and all.

I took a break for a while. Now I am back and did an internet search to see what's new, wow I loooove it! The evolution is amazing. A thought, do we leave those ugly pages alone or re-do them? Mine will most likely stay as-is because I have so many more to do but was curious to everyone else's take.

Now my real reason for posting: Heritage pages. I am ready to do our family's "old" photos from waaay back when. I really want everyone's thought on the best way to do these. Copy the photos or use the originals? I have never used copies because the whole idea was to preserve them and the history of our family, but maybe I should re-think this...

What products do you like for heritage pages? Are there any tutorials for heritae pages? Come on y'all, share your thoughts please.

Denise

I recently did two heritage books, and for me it depended on the condition of the photo, and how picky you are, I am really picky as in I used a lot of embellies and such, so some photo's that were original I could work with some I could not, I am going to post a sample to show ya, the 1st one was not an original, the original was broken in several places (it was on the thickest board!!) so I scanned it, did what repair I could, but also tried to keep that aged look by leaving a lot of the photo's flaws. The 2nd is all original, but they were in great condition.

One option for you if you do use a copy is to go with a matte finish on the photo - won't come off newer or glossier than your old ones. For materials, Tim Holtz has the best distress line, I used his stuff all over the 2 books I did, and he has web sites with tutorial videos - just google his name, it will come up, the Distress inks are just fantastic - and easy to use!

The Old Country
By JaymieLiz

A Life Of Love Page 2
By JaymieLiz
Products Referenced in This Post:

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to JaymieLiz

I was at M's last night and saw the Vintage Findings, nice stuff! I've not tried the Tim Holz products yet but plan on it. Thanks y'all.

LEIALOHA
Veteran
LEIALOHA
In response to rockmom

MY herritage By LEIALOHA

Welcome back to the world of scrapping! I have noticed all the nice supplies people have suggested.. Love it! - I will be using some of the suggestions for my next LO.. I did not use the traditional paper with this LO

New Kid On the Block
In response to rockmom

I know these posts are a bit old, but I'm a genealogist and before you use any old photos, make sure you scan them and put them on a Computer disk or USB drive. There are places that can do that for you if you don't know how. The reason I say this is, there may be long lost cousins/other genealogist, or other family members that would love to have a copy of the photos. Putting them on USB or disk will allow you to share the photos with those other family members, and if the photo you use goes bad in the scrapbook, you have the photo saved and can make a new copy!
Always save your photos, in this manner. Especially the really old ones, as they are so rare, and being able to share those with other family will be a gift they will always treasure.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics