Username Post: question about embossing        (Topic#1509983)
Therese31
Idol
Therese31

I just got my embossing heat gun the other day, and I tried to used it last night. I was just curious since this is my first time using this stuff. Is it normal that the paper will shrink? it waves. I tried to inserted it in a book over night and still the paper shrunk and has a wave look I threw away the card coz I really don't like the look...=(. Do you experience this? what you did of yours? I will appreciate any advice. Thanks!

pjangel
Diva
pjangel
In response to Therese31

Sounds like you had the heat gun to close to the card. Sometimes if you are to close it willturn the paper brown. Just play around with the heat gun..

bluucaca
Diva
bluucaca
In response to pjangel

i just started to emboss also and i'm having the same trouble and how do you get the raised shiny look

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to bluucaca

Warm up the gun by turning it on for about 15-20 seconds before you use it. Make sure there is nothing in the way of the gun that will burn or warp.

Once the gun is heated, bring it about 4-5 inches away from the object you’re embossing and move it back and forth. You don’t want to burn or warp it, so keep it moving.

When the powder melts, you’ll notice a different look to it. Each type of powder looks differently when it melts, but you’ll definitly notice a difference (raised and shiny/matte/sparkly/etc).

Once a section is melted, move onto the next, you don’t need to keep heating the melted portions.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Here Kitty

You can also heat it from underneath. Be careful you don't scorch your fingers tho! been there, done that!

It sounds like you had the heat gun a bit too close to the paper.

I move mine around the whole time rather than just keeping it in one spot to melt that part and then moving along.

LacyKb
LacyKb 
Pro
LacyKb
In response to Seaexplore

I liked Here Kitty's reply, let the gun heat up before using it, keep it about 6 inches away from the paper, and keep moving the gun around. When I'm done, while the paper is still hot, and has a wave I flatten it with dry washcloth (so I dont burn my hand)

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to Therese31

Use pigment ink or VersaMark pad with your EP (embossing powder).

Use quality card stock as that will stand up to the heat and not warp.

Don't hold the gun too close (scorching unless you are going for the South Western look!) or too long (you can burn off the EP). Once you see it melt and shine, that should be enough applied heat.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to PokeyMom

Here Kitty (Amy) gave a fabulous answer! The main keys are to keep the heating gun a good distance from the paper and keep it moving! It may seem like it's taking a little while but just take your time.

I've never done it from the back...I may have to try that!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics