Username Post: Cost to scrap pages!!!!        (Topic#1510019)
ILOVEPAPILLONS
Mayor
ILOVEPAPILLONS

Looking at some of the layouts that are being posted, "they are amazing". I am just wondering how much it could cost to do a page like that. I like to do double layouts and with all the flowers, bling etc it would cost a fortune.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to ILOVEPAPILLONS

Scrapping can cost a lot of money but if you are smart about it you can easily cut the cost. I get a lot of my embellishments and things from garage sales and thrift store sales. I use canned goods for circles, have a home made light box, only buy scrap items I can use more than once when it comes to tools and templates, look for sales on paper and things, and I have found if I move out of the scrap aisles and go to the other craft aisles you can find the very same items for less. They just don't have the brand name on them is all.

I don't have a cricut and things of that sort but it hasn't stopped me yet. With every LO I do I find other means of getting where I need to go. It is true that scrap booking has become a huge thing and it has become commercialized but there are ways around that. My opinion is most likely not the popular one here but I feel a budget is important to me and I have discovered that my thrifty opinion has also guided me towards my style. Everyone is different. For me I find other ways to aquire or make the items I want. I don't feel because I am a thrifty scrapper that my LO's suffer any. Sometimes it becomes a learning curve but that is why I keep a dummy album. I practice there to keep mistakes out of my real albums.

You don't have to break the bank to make an amazing LO. All you have to do is get creative and isn't that what this about anyway?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ImForwardByDesign

I rarely buy anything at full price. If I don't have a coupon, then I wait until I do or there is a sale. Another cost-saver for me is that I save nearly all of my scraps. I have a drawer for plain scraps, and a drawer for patterened scraps. I grab from my drawers first before going into my cardstock stash. I also have a drawer of assorted flowers, blings and embellies. I try and not let anything go to waste. Now.....If I could just stop buying new stuff....

kdott 
Resident
  • kdott on 07-16-09 06:34 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

I haven't been on here in a while, but hello everyone!
I enjoy adding the extras to my layouts, but I just do it on a smaller scale. I focus on the pictures and just add a touch of bling, etc. I have heard of layouts costing upwards of $10-15 per page, and that is just not me!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to kdott

not every single page in the scrapbooks are filled with bling and embellies to the max, or at least that show my books look. Each lo costs me anywhere from $.50 to $20, depending on what supplies I use. I splurge more often than not, but the way I see it is this is the only hobby I really spend money on all like that, and it is also recording precious memories for my DD. It's a 2fer really. Just gotta be careful with some non scrap labeled stuff. I dont put anything in my books that are not acid & lignen free because spending this much on them I dont want them to fall apart in 30 years just because I paid 50 cents for a pack of stickers instead of 99 cents. You get what you pay for...

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-16-09 07:24 PM
In response to ILOVEPAPILLONS

My best freind scrap wise is our local 99 cent store the managers daughter scraps. So she buys in end of line. Great brands which you would find in places like here so I buy from her.

I have also bought end of season christmas kits for 50 cents rather than $10.

I try never to pay full price. And I doodle a lot it's fun get a cheap pack of card stock and some acid free pens decorate your card stock how you want. Cheap and cute.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Obi

There's lots of ways to save money,,,,buy punches to make you own flowers, buy bags of buttons at M's for 5.00 rather than a cutesy small collections for that much,,,I've found BEAUTIFUL buttons in large bags of fancy buttons that way,,,

One of my fav tricks is to use silk flowers, the small ones especially, that you can buy at the dollar store or at M's and J's for 60% off,,,cut them off the stems and replace the middles (that tend to fall off) with buttons or brads, or you can glue the middles back on,,,I've saved a TON on primas that way, and some of them, you'd never know the difference,,,

find free images online and print them out of your computer for vintage inspired stuff,,,,doilies can be had at the dollar store or at M's for a buck a piece,,,lace can be found for .99 a yard if you look,,,ribbon is always on sale or to be had in the dollar bin,,,stickles are amazing, and they SOUND expensive, until you realize that you can get dozens of LO's with a bottle of stickles and ONE pkg of bling costs 4 bucks or more,,,bags of pearls in the jewelry department cost less than 2 dollars,,,

my best advice,,,go OUTSIDE the scrap area for stuff like that,,,most ribbon and cloth is acid free in any case,,,,,

where I spend my money is on paper, to make sure they are acid free,,,,and I agree with Lorti, THAT is important,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

My Precious Pearls
By CommaHolly

this is one of my fav LO's,,,all flowers were bought at the dollar store, and cut off the stems, the string of pearls was less than 2.00 and I've used them on at LEAST 6 LO's so far (still have more),,,,, buttons, bag of hundreds ofr 5.00,,,ribbon 2.00 Walmart and I used it 3 times,,,

Here's another,,,same ribbon, lol,,,

Wonderful Me
By CommaHolly

crystal was in a bag of 3 in Jewelry making dept for 2 or 3 bucks for a bag of 3, stickers 40% off, I paid maybe a buck for all of them,,,and flowers were bought at M's for maybe 2.00 for a stem of 6 flowers,,,I cut them off and glued them on,,,Primas go for 5.00 for a pkg of that type,,,

that gives you an idea of how much I save on primas doing that,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Here's another one I love that cost me next to nothing,,,I used a punch for the flowers, I paid 4.97 for the stack of paper, and buttons all came from my big bag,,,,

Pearl Beauty
By CommaHolly

heynow
heynow 
Pro
heynow

• CommaHolly Said:
There's lots of ways to save money,,,,buy punches to make you own flowers, buy bags of buttons at M's for 5.00 rather than a cutesy small collections for that much,,,I've found BEAUTIFUL buttons in large bags of fancy buttons that way,,,

One of my fav tricks is to use silk flowers, the small ones especially, that you can buy at the dollar store or at M's and J's for 60% off,,,cut them off the stems and replace the middles (that tend to fall off) with buttons or brads, or you can glue the middles back on,,,I've saved a TON on primas that way, and some of them, you'd never know the difference,,,

find free images online and print them out of your computer for vintage inspired stuff,,,,doilies can be had at the dollar store or at M's for a buck a piece,,,lace can be found for .99 a yard if you look,,,ribbon is always on sale or to be had in the dollar bin,,,stickles are amazing, and they SOUND expensive, until you realize that you can get dozens of LO's with a bottle of stickles and ONE pkg of bling costs 4 bucks or more,,,bags of pearls in the jewelry department cost less than 2 dollars,,,

my best advice,,,go OUTSIDE the scrap area for stuff like that,,,most ribbon and cloth is acid free in any case,,,,,

where I spend my money is on paper, to make sure they are acid free,,,,and I agree with Lorti, THAT is important,,,

Are silk flowers acid free?

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 07-17-09 06:15 AM
In response to heynow

As a general rule, acid and lignin come from wood-based products. Archival grade paper is made from cotton rag instead of wood pulp so in theory, fabric should be archival safe. If you want to save money but be safe, invest in a ph tester pen. Actually, some current 'scrapbooking' products are technically not acid free. Its all up to how much it really matters to you.
Products Referenced in This Post:

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to MoniL

Acid and lignin free products are the main reasons I am doing this. My numerous albums were destroying my pics so I started using acid and lignin free products in the hopes of preserving our family's history. Those "magnetic albums" were just horrible! The creative part is just icing on the cake.

I've pics of my great, great, great grandparents that are better than the pics of our wedding taken in 1976 and stored in those awful albums!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics