Page 1 of 46 
Username Post: August No Shopping Challenge-Closed/Active        (Topic#1510763)
Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

September No Shopping Challenge

Very simple. Sign up for how many layouts and/or cards you think you can get done in June without buying anything while getting those pages done.

Getting adhesives or photo development (inks & photo papers for printers) don't count against you.

Starts August 1st, unless you state before hand a different start time for yourself (now or later in the month). Then you scrap, scrap, scrap!

========================= =======
Some clarifications:

This challenges is about learning or exercising self-control more than anything else. It's also on the honor system. No one is gonna check your bank statements or your stash or your other posts to see if you've "goofed" or "cheated."

Gifts and gift cards for sb stuff do NOT count against you. You're not spending recklessly. But do try to use gift cards with thought and purpose.

It helps to have clear goals of what you would want to buy when you reach your layout goal. Just like trying to eat healthy or dieting, you don't want to binge/gorge on food when you reach your weight loss goal. So being deliberate in your shopping is another goal for this challenge.

Above all else, have fun with this challenge. Make it into whatever game in your head or scrapping so you'll want to continue doing these things even if you don't sign up for other similar challenges.

The true goal of scrapbooking is scrapbooking, NOT shopping/buying or hoarding pretty papers and embellishments. I know that for some time for me, it was about shopping and buying more than getting pages done. So this is why I joined other similar groups and started these monthly challenges, too.

========================= ======
First and foremost, this should be fun. If it starts getting to be too much, don't do it. Take a breather or state you're bowing out for the month. It's okay.

Second most important thing is not buying for buying's sake. Being deliberate in what you buy. No shopping for therapeutic reasons, learn to scrap or exercise or something that's healthier and less money and guilt involved.

Thirdly to create pages and projects.

Lastly, to encourage each other here.

No guilt with buying stuff either. If you goof, you goof. Get over it and learn and reset.

=======================

Here's a mini challenge if anyone wants to try it:

Find the oldest item you have bought but not used yet. It can be papers or embellishment. Put it on your work area and use it THIS month!!!

Or if it's really something you'll never use, not enjoy using, give it away! or trade it! You can post a photo of it and see what others have to get rid of.

========================= ===
RAKs

Edited by Vivian loves BLING on 08-26-09 07:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Vivian loves BLING

BamaBug's Gallery - 25 12 x 12 layouts
8 cards

CatScrapsHere's Gallery - 5/5 layouts 8/26
30/30 cards 8/20

croppincrystie's Gallery - 20 layouts

cwilliams1961's Gallery - 7/10 layouts

DesiLee's Gallery - 2/5 12x12 layouts
3 more cards

DYnKY's Gallery - 6/5 layouts 8/19
2/2 cards 8/19

flying_Unicorn's Gallery - 2/22 layouts Start 7/23
4/4 18x18 layouts 8/19
2/3 mini albums

jenbustillo's Gallery - 7/15 layouts
14/15 ATCs

jessmom's Gallery - 10 12x12 layouts

kristen622's Gallery - 25/30 layouts

Ladybing Tammy's Gallery - 5/5 layouts 8/3
3/5 layouts

LilacGal's Gallery - 5/5 layouts 8/9
5 layouts

LindaScraps2's Gallery - 10 layouts

LotsToScrap's Gallery - Silver Anniversary 8x8 gift album (20/20 LO) 8/4
20/20 LO (12x12) any album 8/21

Margy's Gallery - 16/25 layouts
10 cards

Mimi2Alissa's Gallery - 5/7 layouts

mollydog's Gallery - 10/10 layouts 8/19

Mrs. Gibbs's Gallery - 6/20 layouts
5/5 cards 8/15

scrapbookmonster's Gallery - 7/5 layouts 8/21

scrapbrarian's Gallery - 3/5 layouts
5/5 cards 8/2
1/5 Steno gift books

scrapinbabygal's Gallery - 10/10 layouts 8/19
3/3 cards 8/14
1/10 layouts reset 8/20
10/10 layouts 8/31
2/3 cards

Scrappin_baby's Gallery - 21/10 layouts 8/15

scrappinmomto2girls's Gallery - 2/15 layouts reset 8/10
15 layouts

scrappy grandma's Gallery - 33/31 layouts 8/26
11/?? cards

She-She's Gallery - 7/10 layouts
6/10 cards

sonup2sondown's Gallery - 20/20 layouts 8/21
5/6 cards

SwtTxT's Gallery - 10/10 layouts 8/5
15/10 layouts 8/8

Tina scraps's Gallery - 14/5 layouts (8x8 or 12x12) 8/7
5 ATCs
5 cards

TonyaB's Gallery - 5 layouts
2 cards

traceyjean's Gallery - 10 layouts

TripletMother's Gallery - 2/10 layouts reset 8/14
5/10 cards reset 8/14
9/10 layouts
2/10 cards

Vivian loves BLING's Gallery - 19/39 layouts Reset 8/13
39 layouts
80 layouts
20 cards

yesiamagrandmommy's Gallery - 11/15 layouts start 7/25
5 cards

Edited by Vivian loves BLING on 09-09-09 12:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Sadly, I won't be able to update this thread as much next week and the first full week in August but after that I'll be online more.

scrappinmomto2girls
Governor
scrappinmomto2girls

I'm here!!

kristen622
Pro
kristen622
In response to scrappinmomto2girls

Count me in! Since I finished my July goal, I can shop this week and get ready for August.

My goal for August is 30 layouts, and get the first six months done on the baby book that I want to give my mom for Christmas.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to kristen622

Viv, I'm thinking you need to change the second line to read August and not July. LOL!
Count me in for 10 LO.

SwtTxT
SwtTxT 
Guru
SwtTxT
In response to kristen622

I am in again! I hope I to get more done on the July challenge done and some quick shopping before the August challenge.

Christine0106
Governor
Christine0106
In response to SwtTxT

i'm in!! ok--really--how many months have i been doing this--i dont know! how many months have i actually completed my goal---that i know---a big fat zero!!! lol---well--there is always august--hahhaha

so i am thinking--once again--my goal will be 15 pages and 5 cards (who am i kidding?!?!--really?!?!?! ) but i guess life is no good unless ya got goals--lol

Flying_Unicorn
Queen
Flying_Unicorn
In response to Christine0106

I'm in - I have shopped enough between today and yesterday ....

we are going to close up some of the 2009 goals in August

Mini albums = 3

18 x 18 = 4

LO's = 22 - ( this is high only because I plan on doing an 8x8 album 20 pages of Vegas 2008 and 2 12 x 12's......

I am starting my time tonight - since I reached my July goal ....

Thanks Vivian

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal
In response to Flying_Unicorn

I'm in. I'm trying to get back into my groove and I'm finding myself buying stuff when I already have a bunch of stuff on hand. My goal is five pages. It's not a lot for most but I'll be going back to school.

croppincrystie
Guru
croppincrystie
In response to LilacGal

i need to join this group, i dont have a problem getting pages made, just the shopping part. i have not bought alot of junk lately just cricut carts, so it is just as bad, they just dont take up as much room! truly there is nothing i need other that red and brown cardstock.....does that count?

this is the first time joining somethinglike this...do we just log in and chat? and what does not count as shopping only adhesive and pics right? guess this means that i must buy cs before 8-1.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappinmomto2girls

• scrappinmomto2girls Said:
I'm here!!

• SwtTxT Said:
I am in again! I hope I to get more done on the July challenge done and some quick shopping before the August challenge.

• LilacGal Said:
I'm in. I'm trying to get back into my groove and I'm finding myself buying stuff when I already have a bunch of stuff on hand. My goal is five pages. It's not a lot for most but I'll be going back to school.

What's your August goal(s)?

Edited by Vivian loves BLING on 07-23-09 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Christine0106

• yesiamagrandmommy Said:
i'm in!! ok--really--how many months have i been doing this--i dont know! how many months have i actually completed my goal---that i know---a big fat zero!!! lol---well--there is always august--hahhaha

so i am thinking--once again--my goal will be 15 pages and 5 cards (who am i kidding?!?!--really?!?!?! ) but i guess life is no good unless ya got goals--lol

Hopefully, you've seen some changes in your shopping habits. Some questioning of "do I really this right now" and hopefully you're scrapping more than what you were before.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to croppincrystie

• croppincrystie Said:
i need to join this group, i dont have a problem getting pages made, just the shopping part. i have not bought alot of junk lately just cricut carts, so it is just as bad, they just dont take up as much room! truly there is nothing i need other that red and brown cardstock.....does that count?

this is the first time joining somethinglike this...do we just log in and chat? and what does not count as shopping only adhesive and pics right? guess this means that i must buy cs before 8-1.

You've got a week to buy things you need. Things stated at the opening of this challenge is okay. Just don't stray from your stated needs.

We can chat here but it's not required. Nor is it required to post links to your images but that's your choice. We're totally on the honor system. It up to you to count things as allowed or not allowed.

Adhesives and what's needed for photo developing/printing are always allowed.

scrappy grandma
Angel
scrappy grandma

h viv is this going for the onth of august and cn i get in, something needs to curve my spending.
i have plenty to use up right here and need to stay out of the craft stores for a while and tighten the old belt.
he,he,
so how many a day for august i know i can do at least one everyday, hugs joan
ps let me know

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappy grandma

So your goal is 31 pages, Joan?

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal

• Vivian loves BLING Said:

• LilacGal Said:

What's your August goal(s)?

My goal is five pages. Does it have to be more?

scrappy grandma
Angel
scrappy grandma
In response to LilacGal

ok now i amin and it is scraping pages only and i hve 31 ays to do dor august.
that will be great maybe i will get some photoes finished! been busy with the cards and all my pictures are piling up. thank you . hugs joan

Christine0106
Governor
Christine0106

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
  • yesiamagrandmommy Said:

Hopefully, you've seen some changes in your shopping habits. Some questioning of "do I really this right now" and hopefully you're scrapping more than what you were before.

now that i have noticed my friend!!! i 2nd think any random purchase---going shopping with you that day really helped!!! when ya coming back--i might need some more one on one guidance--lol!!!

Christine0106
Governor
Christine0106
In response to croppincrystie

• croppincrystie Said:

you got it!! and like vivian says--if ya "goof" dont beat yourself up over it--just ask for a reseat and start over--i had a start over month-i have had many didnt meat my goals months---oh-i dont know what i am doing--lol---but i know i am not shopping as much--when ya have a group of girls you feel like you need to "answer" to--kinda makes it easier to think if you really need something or not

hey--maybe we should start a eating group!!! ya know--if you can go 30 days and not eat any deserts--or chips--or whatever your downfall is--then if its a month with a 31st--you can have a pig out day-------------ok--that would be a waste of the 30 days--and i would NOT ever complete that one!!!

Page 1 of 46 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics