Username Post: Seeking Advice on Heritage Albums        (Topic#1510829)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Good Morning! I went to bed last night and then woke up this morning with a desire to start at least one Heritage/Family Tree album.

I want my first to focus from DS's POV... kinda like a reference of all the family he sees everyday; once in a while; and maybe never at all....

In re-reading that I can tell I'm still scattered and will work on firming up my vision. While I work on that, I was wondering if any of you wise and wonderful people had any tips you felt so kind as to share to keep me going in the right direction?

TIA

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MommaSaid

One question I am researching now is

Which way does the family tree sprout? Isn't it from the source of the family with branches out of following generations?

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to MommaSaid

I think at the bottom would be your son, the next two pictures would be you and Dh then each of your parents off each of you and so on with great grandparents. You could start one with your parents then do all their children and grandchildren. I am sure there are lots of ways to actually do them.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to DivaDana

My thinking aligns with yours, but I doubted myself. I wanted to place DS at the trunk and branch from there...but I also keep thinking of how a tree grows out and how branches are younger than the trunk, YKWIM?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to MommaSaid

I was able to go back several generations in doing ours and it got very large, so I did a 2 pager for the family tree - the left side was my side and the right was dh's side - so I was the trunk on my tree and dh was the trunk on his. It's pretty detailed but I'm happy with they way it turned out.

Good luck!

Edited by flightobl on 07-24-09 03:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to RockStar

I just took a moment to peek at some of your Heritage pieces and they are beautiful! Do you think you'd be willing to share your tree pages as well?

After firming up my goals a bit, I think I'll start with a small album just for DS -- his cousins, uncles and grandparents. Then I'll have a bit of confidence to work on four more -- my roots and DH's roots. His will be the most stressful. His DGM was the keeper of the family tree and she was thee definition of Matriarch. I wouldn't wan't to get those wrong in the least!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to MommaSaid

I'm starting a couple of albums also,
I would love to see the trees... I just used a flow chart on the one for my side of the family.

I do think the hardest part is planning the how you are going to do the album.

With my side of the family, I gave everyone a basic questionnaire, then I did a 2 page layout of each person. Then created family event pages, from 2006 on (I did not go back to our childhood). And as we add to our family, like a new son in law, he got a questionnaire and his page was placed chronologically. (and I added his name to the flowchart)

This was easier as we take a lot of pics. NOW

I want to start dh's side. No pics of them growing up. Guess I'll just start from 2009.
find/take pics and send out questionnaires.

I also have some taken in the 50's of my mom's family. I've started a couple of pages there.

Then, I was sent a shoebox of my dad's family..pics going way back, like the 1800's! NONE marked. My uncle has had some identified from his mom's side of the family.. YIKES.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to mjmone

Wow! Thanks for the insight, Mjmone! I know I need to do a bit of planning to make sure that the flow makes sense (more for purposes of creation than anything else) but hadn't thought about sending out questionaires and where to start with photos! I guess the last part will make more sense once I get a fully mapped plan on paper, huh?

Haha! What have I gotten myself into?

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

Hi Anne, I did a search in the gallery to see if there were many. For some reason, there aren't very many on the 1st pg. There are some on the later pages. You can check out many different ones to see which way they listed the family.
hth Family Tree Gallery

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to anda11

Thanks! I did the same search this morning before I created this post. I know there's a lot of digging to do. I had to take a break around page 33 and haven't gone back yet. I agree, there are some cute ideas for trees, but I'm looking for a consensus or rule of thumb.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to MommaSaid

Hi Anne. I thought you probbly checked but I just wanted to be sure. I have seen them for yrs. I have seen them done different ways. I really don't think you can be wrong. You just need to pick which you like the best & which makes sense to you. I know in my dd's baby album (from Hallmark in the 80s) It had her at the bottom & me & my dh next going up. Then you listed the relatives going up. That is one way.
I have other ideas...There is a wonderful heritage paper/acces/album made by K & CO that I know they have here . It had pages that had spots already marked or framed for your pics. You could use something like that. I put them here. There may be more papers that I have shown. You could look at them & see what order they did & which you liked. Another is to check out some current Hallmark baby books at the store. They will probably have preprinted pages of fammily trees. You could see what order they have. Does any of that make sense?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by anda11 on 07-24-09 07:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics