Username Post: Embossing Woes...        (Topic#1510933)
CBisme
CBisme 
Resident
CBisme

I am having problems with my embossing powders just coming off with a light touch of my fingers. What could I be doing wrong.

For my first trial I used Distressing Ink with Distressing Embossing Powder. I know the powder is supposed to come off as you rub it with your nail, but mine was all coming off much easier.

For my next trial I used Inkessentials Emboss it Clear Ink with Ranger Glitter Embossing Powder. Again, it came off with light fingertip touch.

TIA!!! I hope you can help me. I just ordered 6 canisters of Zing embossing powder. I don't want it to go to waste!

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to CBisme

Hope help finds you. I'm sure it will.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to CBisme

Don't worry, your powders aren't wasted!

First of all, Distress inks are not made for embossing. It dries too quickly, and that's why the ink isn't sticking to it.

I use the Emboss pad or Versamark and they work very well.

Secondly, the powder will come off if you try to rub it with your fingers. So don't... You've got to heat set it ASAP after you ink and then apply the powder.

Heat embossing takes practice, you probably won't get the perfect results you're looking for right away. Just practice on scrap paper until you get a feel for it. But don't give up, there are SO MANY awesome things you can do!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
Don't worry, your powders aren't wasted!

First of all, Distress inks are not made for embossing. It dries too quickly, and that's why the ink isn't sticking to it.

I use the Emboss pad or Versamark and they work very well.

Secondly, the powder will come off if you try to rub it with your fingers. So don't... You've got to heat set it ASAP after you ink and then apply the powder.

Heat embossing takes practice, you probably won't get the perfect results you're looking for right away. Just practice on scrap paper until you get a feel for it. But don't give up, there are SO MANY awesome things you can do!

I almost always use my VersaMark pad for embossing because it takes so long to dry. I'm sort of new at embossing, so I can use those few extra seconds! Also, I only buy inks that say "Good for Embossing" or "Embossing Ink" so I know they are slow drying. Good luck!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to Smashley

When you use the Tim Holtz distress embossing powder, you have to heat it a little bit longer than regular embossing powders. You will see it change color a bit. Let it cool and test a small corner of the embossed image. You want it to feel like sandpaper versus sand on the beach that rolls around. If it doesn't feel like sandpaper it's not set. Use your heat gun on it again, and keep testing. With the distress embossing powder certain pieces are supposed to brush off so your embossed image gets a distressed look. Use your finger or a small brush to lightly brush back and forth over the image so the release beads (what makes the distress look happen) fall off. Don't put the release beads back into the embossing powder container. Just throw them away. The Tim Holtz distressed embossing powder only works with the Tim Holtz distress embossing ink as far as I understand. Happy embossing!

Edited by miracles_momma on 07-25-09 07:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sheshie37
Idol
sheshie37
In response to Heather J. Landry

You never said anything about heat setting it....zing is awesome with versamark...I jsut bought some vivid green its gorgeous on dark paper..have to heat set it!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to sheshie37

I actually have a quick question in regards to heat setting. Sometimes my images come out dimpled, almost like some of the powder didn't melt or melted weird. Is this a result of heating too much or too little? I'm always afraid to heat too much because I have scorched embellishments in the past, and that's not fun.

thanks in advance.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
I actually have a quick question in regards to heat setting. Sometimes my images come out dimpled, almost like some of the powder didn't melt or melted weird. Is this a result of heating too much or too little? I'm always afraid to heat too much because I have scorched embellishments in the past, and that's not fun.

thanks in advance.

Without actually seeing it, I can't tell you for sure. It might be because:
1. the powder didn't stick to the ink well
2. the powder wasn't fine enough (coarse grain powders don't melt as smoothly as detail powder)
3. it wasn't melted enough
4. it's possible that it got too heated, but you can usually tell when you've overheated it. It turns brown or starts to smell differently.

Do you have a photo you can show me? It's easier to see it than to guess

Smashley
Idol
Smashley

• Here Kitty Said:
  • Smashley Said:

thanks in advance.

Without actually seeing it, I can't tell you for sure. It might be because:
1. the powder didn't stick to the ink well
2. the powder wasn't fine enough (coarse grain powders don't melt as smoothly as detail powder)
3. it wasn't melted enough
4. it's possible that it got too heated, but you can usually tell when you've overheated it. It turns brown or starts to smell differently.

Do you have a photo you can show me? It's easier to see it than to guess

I actually ran some tests today...

it seems it's because the powder is coarse. So, I guess for detailing I'll have to be sure to buy the "detail" powder.

I do have a photo of what I'm talking about in my gallery, but the scan isn't the greatest, and you can't really tell it's dimpled in the scan.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Smashley

What kind of powder are you using?

CBisme
CBisme 
Resident
CBisme

Thanks so much! I think that I was nervous to heat the images TOO much. I tried again applying the heat gun longer and it worked! I love the look!

I really appreciate all of your responses. I will definitely use some of the other tips, too! I'm hooked!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics