Username Post: Let's say...        (Topic#1511093)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

that you find the perfect lace to use on a LO...but it's in the form of clothing. How would you go about dismantling the garment so you could use the lace as desired?

The uneducated part of my brain wants to just dive in and cut it up. Should I start with the hems? What would you do?

lstory 
Mayor
In response to MommaSaid

It must be stitched onto the clothing somewhere/somehow. If you turn it inside out, can you see the stitches holding it on? If you can carefully cut a few of those, you should be able to keep going until you have enough lace for your page.

And that's a perfect example of Reduce, Reuse, Recycling!

Lisa

JanScraps
Veteran
JanScraps
In response to lstory

I have no clue! but what a great idea!

glensgirl
Idol
glensgirl
In response to JanScraps

That's hilarious "the uneducated part of my brain...." Too funny!

I would start at the hem line, but if that doesn't work easily - then just use the scissors. You can always get fray check at any fabric store/walmart fabric section to make the lace not fray.

Good luck!

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to glensgirl

great use of old clothing!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to DivaDana

seam ripper would be perfect for this, if you have one! they are very small and have a curve that would allow you to get "in there" !!

Kendra1977
Pro
Kendra1977
In response to ChansGram

I would have to agree that a seam ripper is what I would use.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Kendra1977

Awesome, Ladies! Thank you!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to DivaDana

• DivaDana Said:

She didn't SAY it was old clothing- we can only hope so!

Cindy

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 07-27-09 01:11 PM
In response to cindy312

I too love the "uneducated part of my brain" - that describes alot of mine LOL

I would think that the detail scissors you may have for sbing would also work if you don't have a seam ripper (my first choice)

just turn it inside out and gently cut along the seam that binds the lace to the document...oh and then post us a picture so we can see how pretty it is LOL

Andrea

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
  • DivaDana Said:

She didn't SAY it was old clothing- we can only hope so!

Cindy

You are correct, I didn't say that! BUT it is an old garment; about four years old. I didn't realize it was too small when I bought it and I will NEVER be *that* small.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the lace!

itsyscrapper
Expert
itsyscrapper
In response to ChansGram

• Chan'sGram Said:
seam ripper would be perfect for this, if you have one! they are very small and have a curve that would allow you to get "in there" !!

I would use a seam ripper, too.

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to itsyscrapper

seam ripper at the hem....if it is very delicate and could rip very easily, I'd just trim it off as close to the seam as possible and use an anti fray on the edges.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
that you find the perfect lace to use on a LO...but it's in the form of clothing. How would you go about dismantling the garment so you could use the lace as desired?

The uneducated part of my brain wants to just dive in and cut it up. Should I start with the hems? What would you do?

ACK, YOU SAW ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear to GOD I only cut a SMALL piece of that lace,,,,ok, TWO small pieces,,,,,,,,off the SHOULDERS of that teddy bear's dress,,,,,,,,,my DD won't even MISS it,,,,,,

you can't even tell I cut it,,,,,,all that gorgeous lace on that teddy bear's dress and it's going to WASTE because all that bear does is sit in the bottom of a toy box!!!!!!!!!!

What could two TINNNNNNNNNNY pieces matter?? I mean really, it was the PERFECT lace to add just the teeeeeeeensiest bit of lacieness to my calendar,,,,,,,I just needed a teeeeeeeeeeeeensie bit of different lace,,,,,,,,,,

just two teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensie snips with the scissors,,,,,,,,,and,,,,, ,,

she'll never know,,,,,,,,,,,

you won't tell on me will you, Anne???????

nonnysbooks
Veteran
nonnysbooks
In response to CommaHolly

We won't even talk about what I did to my wedding gown 3 years ago....

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to nonnysbooks

couldnt be any worse than what I did to mine 15 years ago,,,,,,

I burned it down,,,,,along with the whole house,,,,,,

accidentally, of course,,,,,,making a pot of tea

nonnysbooks
Veteran
nonnysbooks

No, I just cut a piece out of one of the sleeves, and made a pouch to put on daughter's bridal garter. She was wearing a sandal style shoe, but still wanted to do the "lucky coin" thing. So I made a little mini-pouch and attached it to her garter. The pouch made from lace from my gown, and the coin my Dad had put in my shoe, 30 years earlier.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

Nonny, that is so sweet.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• nonnysbooks Said:
No, I just cut a piece out of one of the sleeves, and made a pouch to put on daughter's bridal garter. She was wearing a sandal style shoe, but still wanted to do the "lucky coin" thing. So I made a little mini-pouch and attached it to her garter. The pouch made from lace from my gown, and the coin my Dad had put in my shoe, 30 years earlier.

well it covered something old and borrowed

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 07-28-09 04:05 AM

That is such a great story/idea for the wedding coin!

Holly - you crack me up with the snip in the Teddy Bear lace - that deserves its own LO - something along the lines of the things we'll do for an embellishement LOL

Andrea

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

• CommaHolly Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:

ACK, YOU SAW ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear to GOD I only cut a SMALL piece of that lace,,,,ok, TWO small pieces,,,,,,,,off the SHOULDERS of that teddy bear's dress,,,,,,,,,my DD won't even MISS it,,,,,,

you can't even tell I cut it,,,,,,all that gorgeous lace on that teddy bear's dress and it's going to WASTE because all that bear does is sit in the bottom of a toy box!!!!!!!!!!

What could two TINNNNNNNNNNY pieces matter?? I mean really, it was the PERFECT lace to add just the teeeeeeeensiest bit of lacieness to my calendar,,,,,,,I just needed a teeeeeeeeeeeeensie bit of different lace,,,,,,,,,,

just two teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensie snips with the scissors,,,,,,,,,and,,,,, ,,

she'll never know,,,,,,,,,,,

you won't tell on me will you, Anne???????

My lips are sealed!

Oh, and as soon as my wedding was over, I wanted to rip that dress to pieces. Eventually, I would have made something from it but just ripping it apart would have felt good, too. I attached too many moments of frustration to that infernal thing!

Leslie Guerrero
Idol
Leslie Guerrero
In response to ekip2

OMG you girls are too funny!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ekip2

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Andrea, if I did a LO on it, honeypie, my dd would FIND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the sake of shalom in the home,,,,we are PRAYING SHE NEVER FINDS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics