Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Very Important Scrapbook!        (Topic#1511239)
dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers

Hello everyone! I am new to scrapbooking. In fact, I really haven't had much interest in it but I have an idea for a scrapbook that I think is very very important and since I have absolutely no knowledge of scrapbooking I need some advice from the experts!
I am a Nanny for an 18 year old developmentally disabled man. His father died when he was 11 years old and it was a very traumatic experience for him. His mom is getting older and she has arranged for me to be his guardian when she passes. When she dies it is going to be extremely traumatic for him. He is emotionally a child and it will be hard for him to have lost both of his parents. So what I want to do is start taking pictures of the two of them and have his mom write little notes to him that I can put in a scrapbook. This is obviously a very special and important project that I am going to need some serious help with! Left on my own I'll get a boring scrap book, tape some letters and pictures in and that will be that. Surely someone can point me in the right direction! Since his mom is alive and well and will be for a while (Lord willing) there's plenty of room to be creative I think.
I'm looking forward to your ideas! Thanks in Advance!

Hannah

Resident
In response to dancingfingers

Hi Hannah! Welcome to forum. I think what you are doing is amazing. I'm no expert, but I would love to help you in any way I can. The best method I have found so far it to take lots of pictures and sort through them. Find the ones that are the most meaningful and let them inspire you. Use the pictures to base all your paper and embellishments on. Once you have the pictures you can start shopping for accessories. You will definitely want some good adhesive, an album, a paper trimmer, some good scissors, cardstock, and the rest is up to you. Let me know if you need any more help on what to get. I know from experience that this hobby can be overwhelming. Good luck!

smalltowngurrl
Idol
smalltowngurrl
In response to DolphinGirl09

Hello Hannah,
I think that what you are doing is amazing!! You must be an incredible person to be chosen like this.

I would recommend maybe looking for a scrapbooking kit that has all the embellishments included so you don't get overwhelmed. Then if you want you can always add on with other things but this would guide you through. The other thing

I would also recommend is getting a really good album, spend the money. I really like the 3 ring binder ones. If you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to smalltowngurrl

I would be willing to help with the cost of this with a small monetary donation or the donation of products from my stash of supplies. Once you get started and know your colors, PM me and I'll help.

To PM someone, click on their names in the small box to the left, above their picture or avatar, not the one below it for their gallery, then in the middle of the page below the person's general information, it says something like Send this person a private message.

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to johnsusan8

this is so thoughtful. if you need any help please pm me.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to anthonysgirl

The only advice I would have is to try and make the album as sturdy as you can,,,,,buy the BEST album you can afford to buy,,,,,,

he will be looking at it until it is dog eared.

It sounds like photos will be more important than embellishments,,,,,,and I think I'd go with 12x12 on this one so that you can fit more photos in,,,,

I'd also go with D ring so you can fit more pages and page protectors in,,,,,

also, I don't know HOW disabled he is, but after his mom passes, he may wish to make a few pages of his OWN, if he's capable,,,,,,this may be wonderful therapy for him, and who CARES how "wonderful" they look,,,,,,,,,they will be beautiful,,,,,,,,

ToriElizabeth
Expert
ToriElizabeth
In response to CommaHolly

Wow, what a great idea! Make sure you take a TON of pictures while you can! If you don't put them all in the scrapbook, you can just put them all in an album so he can still look at them all. In the scrapbook definitely include lots of journaling.. dates of the pictures or events, and tell a good story about them. Maybe his mom would like to help you out, find some older pictures of their family, or add some stories and memories of her own? Make sure you check out the gallery here if you need ideas of what to make your pages look like.

Good luck on this amazing project!

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to ToriElizabeth

You are doing an amazing thing. That's a great idea to make a scrapbook. I just have one question why will you buy a boring scrapbook? They have lots of different kinds some with nice covers. When taking pictures I like to take several in the same series/ poses(I would call it) and put the series on the same page. Have fun with it good luck.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to cutencrafty

She's asked for help because she doesn't want to end up with a boring scrapbook! She hopes we can steer her to something nice.

dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers
In response to johnsusan8

Thanks so much everyone! I'm getting really excited about this and I'm going to go to a craft store this weekend and start looking. Thanks for all of the advice! I'm sure I'll be asking for more help along the way but for now I know where to start (Albums atleast! We'll have to see how intimidated I get at the store )
I won't be needing any help with the cost of supplies, by the way, but thank you anyway!

Hannah

ETA: This was in response to everyone's post, I just couldn't figure out how to reply any other way

Edited by dancingfingers on 07-30-09 07:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers

I'm back! I told you I know nothing - so I've got a reeeally stupid question. I mean really stupid. I don't know exactly what a scrapbook/album looks like so it might be self explanatory once I actually buy one...but I was just looking at a website for dummies like me that spells out how to scrap - step by step. Except it left out one thing - it's all done on the paper but then how does it get into the book? Do you glue it in to the pages in the book or something? (Gosh I told you it was a stupid question and I have a feeling it's incredibly obvious but I really don't know!)
thanks in advance!

pistachio
Veteran
pistachio

It is so nice to see "angel" work. My suggestions would be to have as much input from the mother as possible - have her write her feelings, hopes and dreams for her son. Ask her to write or tell you stories about her and her husband before their son was born. All the journaling will make the album more like a storybook for him to have you read (or him) over and over. Colored pens for the writing and using his favorite colors for the paper will make the album fun for him to look at. Another suggestion would be to have his mom write down her favorite things (color, food, season, song, book, etc) and ask the son for his and list them side by side in the album.

As for the album, I would suggest a Creative Memories 12x12 or PicFolio. Creative Memories has a lifetime guarantee of the albums and they have consultants all over the world who can help you. Log on to www.creativememories.com

Whatever you do will be great and will be appreciated by the family.

God Bless!

dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers
In response to pistachio

this was EXTREMELY helpful, thank you so much for your ideas!

pistachio
Veteran
pistachio

Anytime! If I can be of more assistance please don't hesitate to contact me. I have helped friends do albums of family/friends who have passed away or who have been ill. Plus I truly love and enjoy scrapbooking.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-31-09 05:47 AM

• dancingfingers Said:
I'm back! I told you I know nothing - so I've got a reeeally stupid question. I mean really stupid. I don't know exactly what a scrapbook/album looks like so it might be self explanatory once I actually buy one...but I was just looking at a website for dummies like me that spells out how to scrap - step by step. Except it left out one thing - it's all done on the paper but then how does it get into the book? Do you glue it in to the pages in the book or something? (Gosh I told you it was a stupid question and I have a feeling it's incredibly obvious but I really don't know!)
thanks in advance!

To answer this question in particular, the scrapbooks have page protectors that you slide your finished layout in. Most (but not all) albums come with 5-10 page protoectors already in it, then you can purchase more separately. Just be sure the purchase the ones that fit your album.

Another thought on journaling - Each day, or as often as you are able, select a few pictures and ask mom for her thoughts. What are the people in the picture doing? Any special occasion? Where was the pic taken? When (date) of the pic? Who are the people (other than mom, dad, son)?
Maybe use a tape recorder to record what she says, then later you can actually write it down. Or, maybe mom could use your questions as a starting point for a letter to her son telling him directly about the pics.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to Tivi

Opps sorry I read your posting wrong I skipped over where you wrote on my own I'll end up with a boring scrapbook. The way I read it I read I'll get (meaning buy) a boring scrapbook. LOL.

Lots of good advice has been posted.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-31-09 05:05 PM
In response to cutencrafty

Be sure to take photos of the ordinary everyday things. Save the TV guide and circle favorite shows he and his Mom watch together. Take pics of a family dinner or an outing in a park. Don't feel like you need to wait for holidays or special events.

If you go to a craft store like Michael's or AC Moore or Hobby Lobby or Joanne's, you'll find lots of scrapbooks to choose from. I agree with the posters above to buy one in size 12 x 12 and buy the kind with D-rings (not posts). I also agree to buy the nicest scrapbook you can afford because it sounds like it will be well-loved.

Welcome and what a wonderful thing you are doing.

~ Izzy

dancingfingers
Tenant
dancingfingers
In response to IzzyB

oooh I'm excited! I actually made a page (layout?) today - it's for a different purpose because I wanted to give it a try but I'm not going to start the BIG project until I've got letters and stuff to include. But my charge is a hug fan of a few radio stations around here. He calls the DJs every day and has even met a few of them. So I've been meaning to put some sort of book together for him for two years now. I wasn't really thinking scrapbook, just pictures and biography in page protectors in a three ring binder....I finally picked it up again but in scrapbook form. It's pretty pathetic, but not as bad as I expected for a first time! No embelishments, just pictures and card stock but I printed up one of the radio stations logo/banner and used it on the side for a boarder/title. I'm pretty impressed with myself Thanks for your help everyone! This is going to be a fun hobby once I get the hang of it!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

and...always be sure to photograph each page as you make it. So if, for some reason, it gets damaged or lost you can replace it.
And then at some point you may want to have the pages professionally scanned (or someone can do it for you).

You should photo/scan any memorabilia, get an acid free/photo printout and use it instead of the original. This will include letters, newspaper articles, phamphlets, etc. The orginals will start to discolor and surprisingly very quickly. Acidfree sprays, while available, are very expensive. You can purchase an acid pen tester to check anything that you may want to add. and Never, never, never put the original of an extremely important document (or photo) in a scrapbook. There are no rules in scrapbooking but this one that should be a rule.

I have some experience with books that get looked at a lot so I have some advice in that area.
Adhesive Article
Be sure to use extra adhesive and use the "permanent" version. Don't skimp on the adhesive and use two types. Glue sticks are not high on people's list for choice of adhesives but I use them as a second adhesive in the very center. If you find yourself lifting things up that you have already mounted several times add new adhesive.

when it comes to albums
Buy Protective pages in bulk as they do wear out. Some brands you can buy boxes of 50. Try and buy an album with protective pages that are readily available. There is nothing worse than setting up an album that you have to special order protective pages every time you need them.

Albums, while they look strong, the entire corner will dent if dropped and with enough weight the whole thing can be bent. Never leave an album where it might get wet or in extreme heat (like a car trunk in Florida). WHICH brings up the point again of being sure you photograph every page. Remember life happens, have a back up of the book. Books do get lost, wet, bent, or... and I know this is overkill, but I hope it makes the point to make copies...

Los Angeles Times Sunday, Oct 28, 2007
Products Referenced in This Post:

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I am not sure if this has been suggested yet. Get a 3 ringed album that has 4 x 6 openings for pictures. They also come in other sizes for pictures. You can even buy the precut paper for these albums. They are 12 x 12 albums that are quite fast and easy to make. I have 2 large ones that I keep my school pictures in from teaching. They are Scrapworks albums/pages. I think the pages would work in any 3 ringed album and they are sturdy. Since each picture is stored in its own sewn pocket, adhesive is used minimally.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics