Username Post: How do you organize your albums??        (Topic#1511703)
iluvtoscrap85
Veteran
iluvtoscrap85

So now that my son is through his first year and approaching his 2nd year very fast.. I dont know how to organize all the albums. I have his baby album completely done with all of his first 12 months done plus all of his first big milestones. Now I am starting his 12-24 month album but it just seems like maybe there is a better way... I guess what I am asking is how you ladies do it?? I want to get the We R memory Keepers albums and color coordinate them with my son in one color. Maybe vacations in another album... but how do you guys decide if it goes in the child album or the "family album"?

Another question is I really want to put the albums out for display in the living room or something so I am not the only one that gets to enjoy them. How do you guys do this? Pictures would be awesome!!!
Thanks for listening and responding ladies!!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to iluvtoscrap85

If you subscribe to the Library of Memories thought, then any layouts of JUST your son, not including the rest of the family, would go into your son's album. If the LO has pictures of him and friends/playdates/his school (when he gets there), then those would go into his album. But if the LO is of a Family Christmas and has pictures of you, other siblings, grandparents, etc. then those LOs would go into a family album.

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to CMLeach

• CMLeach Said:
If you subscribe to the Library of Memories thought, then any layouts of JUST your son, not including the rest of the family, would go into your son's album. If the LO has pictures of him and friends/playdates/his school (when he gets there), then those would go into his album. But if the LO is of a Family Christmas and has pictures of you, other siblings, grandparents, etc. then those LOs would go into a family album.

This is kind of how I do mine too. I do a baby album of their first year. A Christmas album. If we go on a big vacation, that has its own album. But, as for pics as they get older.. I have a school album and the rest seems to go in our yearly family album. I don't have near as many pics of my older two as I do my last. The introduction of digital has really helped with that one. And the fact my kids are all just about 10 yrs apart; and I didn't have a decent camera back when the oldest was little. Now, she and the middle child avoid the camera.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to iluvtoscrap85

I do my albums by year, well technically by quarter, since they are so thick LOL. Whatever we do as an immediate family goes into that album. I have a misc family album as well, which has old family pics in it- from family weddings, Christmas, etc. When my sister sends me pics of my niece they would go in that book.

I buy whatever album I like- I could never stick to the same pattern.

When I fill an album, on the inside cover I write book # ______ (whatever book that is family album wise- currently I am working on #5) The date range that is in that book, and a note- I dont scrap every picture, so I burn them all onto a CD (just whatever pics are in that particular album) And I put the CD in between the 1st 2 pages.... so I make a note of it in the front of the book. This way if my kids, at some point, want a copy of another picture they can print it

pistachio
Veteran
pistachio
In response to lifeinthefastlane

This is what has worked well for me.

Daughter's Baby Album (first year of life)
Christmas Albums (the coversets are Christmas colors and/or designs)
Year Albums (I match the albums to the area where we were living at that time)
Vacation Albums (the coverset color matches where we went for vacation; these albums are a smaller size than 12x12 so they stand out)
School Album

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to pistachio

I have 2 children and boy and a girl. All the boys albums are blue and the girls are pink. When/if I have another I will pick another color for the albums.

I have albums for
birth-6months
6-12 months
then one per year
portrait book for each with the 8x10's as they come off the wall and the new one is hung

I put things that are specific to that child in their book. Otherwise it goes in the family album which I just get a new one of when it's too full. I think I have 3 now.

I also have a halloween album and a pets album.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Becky Scraps

One thing to keep in mind is that as scrapbooking trends change so will most albums. I tried keeping all of my albums color coordinated, but the companies keep switching colors and even sizes. It can be frustrating. I try to keep my kids albums in similar styles and then the vacation albums are all quite different. It is easy to find the right vacation album this way. They make little charms that hang over the album that can have a name printed them. This may help you as your little guy grows up and the albums multiply.

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to 950nancy

well, i have albums for all 6 of my kids...and i do color coordinate them. that is, dd#1's albums are all pink, dd#2's albums are all blue, ds#1's are all green, etc; they are both solids and patterns, and are from different companies. the idea is that each child's set of albums simply is set apart from the rest.

as for what pictures to put in your child's album...i would think about what you want them to have to look at as they grow and when they are all grown up. i chose not to just put pics of my child in their album...i want them to have memories, information, etc. about all their family members, all our times together, and so on. so my daughter's album includes layouts about her brother and his silly traits, our trip to myrtle beach, her relationship with her sister, and so on. i journal a lot to reflect all of this. i feel it is important for each child to understand not only themselves, but their families and traditions and history.

i take so many pictures that it is easy to do layouts for several albums. i dont do family albums anymore, but it would be easy to do that also. so for our vacation, some pics would go into each album and if i did a family album, some of those would go in as well. and i try to have different pictures in each album.

sorry this was so long-winded, but hope this helps you decide what to do. (oh, and as for displaying them...i just put out one or two on the coffee table fairly randomly for while then put them back. i dont always have an album out, but they are all in the livingroom in a hutch so they are easy to get at.)

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to hodgepodge722

I have a married-no-kids albums, a trip album, and a couple of heritage albums, but I'm having trouble with the same question, now that I'm at age two, when my second daughter was born. I think I'm going to do something similar as CMLeach described with the "Library of Memories". It makes it difficult to see things chronologically, but I don't know what else to do! =)

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CarrieBH

I have a suggestion those who are planning what albums to make --- start young for the "Graduation Album". You could either scrap each year along the way or do an A, B, C and add pictures of all ages to coordinated with A (animal lover) B (baseball), etc. Trust me, it is much easier along the way then after 18 years!!!!

Edited by wilbur on 08-03-09 06:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics