Username Post: I finally gave in        (Topic#1512347)
meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I had about 150 pictures from a trip to NYC in 2006 and finally gave up and put them chronologically in a photo album instead of scrapping them. I couldn't figure out which ones to scrap and how to scrap at least 30-50 pictures of one trip. *sigh* I feel like I just gave up, but I was so overwhelmed. I've got a trip to Disney World that I just know is going to be the same way. Scrapping one or two pictures and photo-albuming the rest.

Does anyone else throw in the towel like this sometimes?

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to meezerpleaser

I ran into something similar with our vacation photos. Instead of photo sleeves, I adhered some of the photos in same way a photo sleeve page would do. Slapped on a strip of pp to look like ribbon, voila! page is done.

Do what you want to do. Do it when you want to. No rules. This is supposed to be fun. At least you'll know where the photos are. Don't forget to slide in some journaling.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I sometimes *wish* I could give in! I'm that crazy person who thinks that EVERY photo MUST be scrapped!

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to JayAndXansMom

it's okay, you may go back sometime and pick out a few to scrap and if you don't that's okay too.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to JayAndXansMom

Just now I'm doing a small, basic 8x8 album for my vaction to Florida. This is for dh to look at and has loads of pics on each page, a list of what we did that day and the date. It's just like a diary of what we did each day with pics. But, there are a handful of funny/memorable pics where I want to scrap the story behind them and so they will get a 12x12 scrapped/embellished page.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• meezerpleaser Said:
I had about 150 pictures from a trip to NYC in 2006 and finally gave up and put them chronologically in a photo album instead of scrapping them. I couldn't figure out which ones to scrap and how to scrap at least 30-50 pictures of one trip. *sigh* I feel like I just gave up, but I was so overwhelmed. I've got a trip to Disney World that I just know is going to be the same way. Scrapping one or two pictures and photo-albuming the rest.

Does anyone else throw in the towel like this sometimes?

I don't condifer it throwing in the towel.
I never scrap all my vacation pics. I always take way too many to scrap so I buy a photo album from a gift shop of the place I went and place all my photos from my trip in that album. I than make copies of the pics I really like, and am inspired to scrap, and I scrap those.

I have done this on all the trips i have gone on:
My mexican cruise
San Franciso
Cancun
Yosemite
Grand Canyon

and I plan on doing it for my Hawaii trip.

I think it takes the pressure off which makes the few pics you do scrap so much fun to scrap! Plus, because I buy a photo album from the gift shop of the place I've gone it matches my pics and it looks so nice!!

It's our tradition now and whenever we go anywhere we now all seek out an album for our pics!!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Doreena

I think it is sensible! If you're feeling overwhelmed then it's not fun anymore! Maybe one day you will go back to it maybe you won't, but the worst thing to do is stress over something that is supposed to be fun, relaxing and enjoyable!!!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I have just scrapped the pictures from our vacation this year. There were some that we nature type pictures that it would be hard to see what I was taking a photo of on a scrapbook page. I decided to just put those in a photo album along with some others pictures that I am not scrapping simply because I don't care for the picture, we weren't smiling, etc. I scrap because I am making memories, and I want to be happy with the results. I am happy about my decision and if someday when I am looking through those photo albums and get inspiration or think of them in a different light then I MIGHT scrap them. I do not feel every picture has to be scrapped.

Thanks for reading my long post.

dmc21043
Resident
dmc21043
In response to cdjohnson

I don't know what is wrong with photo albums. I love looking through my families. Your kids will care about the pictures and story. The rest is just creativity for you. I travel and take tons of pictures. I used to scrap every one and had these monster scrapbooks that sometimes took years to finish. For my latest trip to Turkey I got a American Crafts D ring and am combining photo album type pages with scrapbook pages. So I scrap my favs and play and journal and then I am sleeving other photos within the same book. It's been fun and I think is the best of both worlds

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dmc21043

It's very overwhelming to scrap all vacation photos. The next time I scrap a vacation, I plan to scrap just a few of the photos, and then include a CD with all of the images with the album. Maybe I'll scrap a cute pocket for it!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Luvmyfam

Great ideas here from everybody - I've been feeling so guilty that I too am overwhelmed with my 750 pictures from my hawaii trip too that are still sitting in my camera!

okispice
Mayor
okispice
In response to RockStar

I don't consider putting photos into an album being 'not scrapped'. They are still there to look at and treasure. How about considering putting a label on each picture - either on top of the acetate, or right on the picture- stating who is in the picture, or the location of the shot? It can be done with a label maker, or printed in your own handwriting on scraps of torn PP, or printed out from the computer in a pretty font. Take the pressure off yourself and enjoy those memories of your trip! just don't leave it so you come back in 10-20 years and say 'now who was that or what was that place again?'

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to okispice

I'm a firm believer that you should take a few of your BEST photos form an event an scrap them. Who says you have to scrap EVERY photo you take?

Or make a mini book of said event that helps too

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to dmc21043

I like this idea. I want to mix my scrapbook pages with some plain "album" pages. I have too many pictures to scrap but I can't get rid of any....thanks for the idea.

Cydney
Cydney 
Resident
Cydney
In response to planty

What I did with my childhood photos was put them all chronologically in a photo album, and then every few pages I made a journaling block in a 4x6. I decorated the journaling block and wrote down some favorite memories....it was easy and I was so proud to have it done! Just getting them in chronological order was tough!!!!!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Cydney

my son's book is like that. i print out all the pics so i have them in a "hard copy." i usually add small pieces of paper with notes that i want to make on certain things later. then when i have more time or inspiration, i make LOs of the pics.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 08-10-09 11:30 AM
In response to Lamoo12

I wouldn't feel bad about that at all

here's my story

my mom's and dad's 50th anniversary party had 1200+ photos taken in 12 hours time I did about 40 layouts for the album hitting all the highlights such as the food, the decorations, each immediate family member and some of the fun "events" that were caught on film. I made pages announcing the dance, the guests, and family pictures and put photo pages made for the scrapbooks behind those cover pages. I inserted 4 x 6 pieces of cardstock randomly in those photo pages so mom could make note of people or events in the pictures. It took 2 albums to hold everything and I even weeded out about 200 pics that were doubles or just really bad pics!! It still made for an awesome album.

Maybe later you can go through and pick some of your favorite photos and scrap those....until then....a photo album still allows you to share those pictures and relive the trip.

sweetscrappin
Veteran
sweetscrappin

i have an album that I am currently working on that is similar to giving up.... but I discovered a hybrid scrapbook album, its almost the same as a photo album, but on one sleeve I am making a little "card" decorated with patterned paper, but then thats it, a little story telling is sometimes what you need. I think joanns sells them on their website. I got mine at a convention, it was perfect for this album. You can either put 6 photos in the sleeves or 5 with one made into a story board... just an idea...

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 08-10-09 06:14 PM
In response to sweetscrappin

I think it's awesome that you put the pics in an album. I have mountains of pics either on my computer or in envelopes (unlabled) in a drawer. I'd be THRILLED if these photos were actually in albums.

As others have suggested, you can easily do a hybrid photo album/scrapbook. I bought some photo sleeves for my D-ring scrapbooks for this purpose. The Superstore here sells them and you can sometimes find them in craft stores too.

~ Izzy

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to IzzyB

A solution I have (because I am struggling with this whole dilemma RIGHT NOW on my dining room table) is to use the Bazzill Likety Slip refill pages. I am putting them in between my layouts in the books and then filing them with the extra pics.

You might consider doing this--choose a few photos you LOVE to scrap and then put the rest that you can't bear to part with in some divided sheet protector like others have advised.

I also went through all my photos and organized them chrono. I am in the process of determining which ones have been scrapped already, which ones I need to make more layouts for (making a book for me and one for each kid so I can justify buying more stuff - hehehe), and which pics I can put in an album or just throw away. I never ever ever ever ever want to do this again so the plan here on out is to order pics, scrap them, and put them in the album all in the same month. I am missing all the good deals at Snapfish cuz I am not yet ready to order new stuff to add to the pile. So I feel your pain--I was sooo overwhelmed but now I am glad that I am almost done and I have gotten alot of motivation to scrap because of it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics