Username Post: How do you cut a circle?!        (Topic#1513037)
oregonduckgal
New Kid On the Block
oregonduckgal

Everyone is saying what a great circle cutter the Crafter's Workshop Circles n' Circles template is. I guess I don't understand how you cut a circle using this. Do you use some kind of cutting tool? If someone could give me some advice on this, that would be great! I am trying to find a cool to use to cut large circles easily, but I really can't understand how you do it with this. Please help!

- Jessica

Also, people obviously cut using the other templates like the Orchid or Cosmo. Is this all free hand? Help.

Edited by oregonduckgal on 08-17-09 08:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to oregonduckgal

I doodle my circle and then cut it by hand when using those templates. I dont think that I would even attempt to run a craft knife thru them...they are fairly thin.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Nancy Keslin

I've never used those, so I am of no help on that part of it. However, if you are looking for a large circle template that you could make 6 different sized circles from, please PM me and I will give you the scoop!

oregonduckgal
New Kid On the Block
oregonduckgal
In response to Nancy Keslin

Wow, you must have a steady hand. Is that the most common thing, to cut circle and shapes like that by hand?

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to oregonduckgal

Never heard how these were "great" for cutting anything -- they are too thin and flimsy if you ask me -- they are inking tools, not cutting tools.

I use the Creative Memories cutting system or the EK Success cutting system for circles (of all sizes).

Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by fefelants on 08-18-09 04:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pistachio
Veteran
pistachio
In response to fefelants

I like the CM custom cutting system.

ZanneScraps
Resident
ZanneScraps
In response to pistachio

I am craft knife impaired and hands down I LOVE the cutterbee system for cutting shapes!!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ZanneScraps

My favorite is my Fiskars Ultra-Shape Express. It's very easy to see where you are cutting. The trick to using the USX is to put the template with the Fiskars name face-up, and then hold the USX like a computer mouse.

I agree with Nancy on the Crafters Workshop templates. They are probably too thin for a craft knife.

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to Luvmyfam

I've never used those, but I have the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter and I love it! It is so easy to use and you can cut a bunch of different sized circles with just the one tool! I got it at Wal-Mart for $15.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to livelovecreate86

I have the MS circle cutter, too, but I think it only cuts circles as big as five or six inches, not full-page ones.

Lisa

toridave
Veteran
toridave
In response to lstory

Only suggestion I have is to trace a large plate and cut around it with little craft scissors !!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to toridave

I use the crafters workshop templates like Nancy does. I trace the template then cut by hand.

The Ek Success circle cutter is pretty good also, but doesnt go full page size.

Another suggestion that I've also used is the dinner plates or tracing a bowl.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Diva Scraps

I have several circle cutters - I like the CM cutting system for nesting. But my favorite for making large circle is the We R Memory Keepers circle cutter - It will cut circles up to 12" and it works great. I love it and have used it alot.

VikkiS
VikkiS 
Guru
VikkiS
In response to pistachio

I too like the Creative Memories circle cutters. You can make a number of different sized circles and they are easy to use!

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to VikkiS

I love love love my Creative Memories circle cutting system! I've tried the Coluzzle and didn't care for it at all.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Castle Scrapper

You might want to try you tube to see if there are some videos on these products - that may help you to see how each work and which may be best for you.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics