Username Post: Slice        (Topic#1513199)
GinnyHughes
Mayor
GinnyHughes

For those of you who own the Slice, do you feel like you need the big 12x12 glass mat? It seems like it might be easier to use the big one rather than the little one that comes with it.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to GinnyHughes

You don't need it, but I think it makes the Slice much easier to use. Rather than having to peel whatever I've just cut off of the small mat and reposition the paper, I just move the machine over. I love mine! I keep it stored in the box it came in, which also works for me.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to siameseplease

I would love to have the large cutting mat for the reasons Gina just posted, however, I am extremely short on space (scrapping and storign in my dining room until the basement is finished sometime this winter) so I am using the small mat and find it perfectly acceptable. I'd say if you've got the cash and the space, it's probably worth getting it, but if not, you can use and enjoy your Slice without it.
-Tracy

Edited by mercytiara on 08-19-09 04:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-19-09 05:27 AM
In response to mercytiara

I have both the 12 X 12 and the smaller one that came with the Slice. The 12 X !2 is nice, but I honestly find myself using the smaller one all the time! Just because it's small and easy to maneuver in a small scrap space, I suppose. If I were using a big 12 X 12 sheet, I'd probably use the 12 X 12 mat. But I tend to use up scraps, so I suppose that's why I reach for the smaller one more often. So, to answer your question, no I definitely don't feel like I *need* the 12 X 12 mat, but it is nice to have. I would say just think about how you scrap and how large your space is, and that will help you decide. Good luck!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Ami G

I should add that I cut alphas more than shapes with mine. If you're cutting a whole title and all of the letters that go with it, the 12x12 mat makes it easier. If you're simply cutting a shape or using scraps, the smaller mat is just fine (like Amy said). It's like Tracy said, it's nice if you have the space to store it and use it. I really do like mine and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Edited by siameseplease on 08-19-09 06:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-19-09 07:34 AM
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
I should add that I cut alphas more than shapes with mine. If you're cutting a whole title and all of the letters that go with it, the 12x12 mat makes it easier. If you're simply cutting a shape or using scraps, the smaller mat is just fine (like Amy said). It's like Tracy said, it's nice if you have the space to store it and use it. I really do like mine and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Yes!! Good point! This is very true.

redheadgirl
Guru
redheadgirl
In response to Ami G

I bought the 12 x 12 and it's still in the package. When I've cut its only been from scraps so far. I'm sure I'll need it one day though.

GinnyHughes
Mayor
GinnyHughes
In response to redheadgirl

Thanks for the advice. The place where I am going to buy it has several different options for the machine + accessories and cards for different prices. Is the spatula something I would want as well? Any favorite design cards?

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-19-09 02:03 PM

The spatula is nice to have, but you don't *have* to have it. For a long time, I just used my fingernail, LOL! As for the cards, I love the Noteworthy card and all the Basic Shapes ones. There are so many out now, though! If you go to www.whyslice.com, you can see all the different design cards (and all the designs on each), even the ones that were just released at CHA!

redheadgirl
Guru
redheadgirl

• 2girls2dogs Said:
Any favorite design cards?

Get them all, you can't go wrong . I use the Teen and Travel ones. I just got Words/Expressions and love it too.

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to redheadgirl

I mostly cut one shape at a time. I don't really use the fonts. So the small mat is good enough for me. If I were to do a collection or something I would probably just use my cricut so I don't have the need for the larger mat. HTH!

Coco Chanel
Veteran
Coco Chanel
In response to llprncess3

12 x 12 is better to work with... Is quicker than 4x 4

snippetsofme
Veteran
snippetsofme
In response to Coco Chanel

I am thinking about getting the 12X12 but I also have another question

I have calibrated it a few times and still not happy about my smaller cuts dor example the A in the circle from BS1 card its sooooo bad if I do a small size any suggestions?

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to snippetsofme

i have the biog mat and i like it much easy

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-21-09 07:37 AM

• Thedesigndiva Said:
I am thinking about getting the 12X12 but I also have another question

I have calibrated it a few times and still not happy about my smaller cuts dor example the A in the circle from BS1 card its sooooo bad if I do a small size any suggestions?

This was a problem with the Slice until a few months ago, when Making Memories sent out a replacement cartridge to recalibrate the machine for the smaller sizes. You should have gotten one if you registered your machine with MM.

Also, you may want to try adjusting the blade depth. Here's more info on that: http://www.whyslice.com/HowTos/detail/adjusti ng-the-bla...

Another idea is that if you've been using that blade for a while, it can start distorting and cutting improperly. So you can try replacing the blade with a new one altogether.

Is it just that the blade is not cutting all the way through or that it IS cutting, but the shape is distorted?

snippetsofme
Veteran
snippetsofme
In response to Ami G

The shape is distorted, and I have recieved the new card and calibrated it and still doing it maybe I will try adjusting the blade depth THANKS

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 08-21-09 08:09 AM

Yep, sounds like a blade-depth issue or maybe even time to change the blade. Good luck!

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to Ami G

I have both and I tend to use the small one because I don't want to spread 12x12 inches of glue! I use my large glass mat as a general cutting mat though, so it is definitely getting some use.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics