Username Post: Vintage Layouts!        (Topic#1513429)
joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 08-21-09 02:55 PM

I have seen so many beautiful vintage LO's here at SB.com, and I would like to do 2 layouts; one for my mother and one for my father for their birthdays, which are in October. The LO I would like to do for my mother is a picture of her and her brother (my late uncle) when they were kids or another pic with both of them and my grandmother(who recently passed), if I can get a copy! The LO I would like to do for my dad is one of his mother (my grandma), she passed before I was born. Any suggestions...Paper wise, flowers, distressing, anything to do with vintage?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 08-21-09 06:46 PM
In response to joogz

I've never done a vintage page but I think that Graphic 45 has beautiful soft papers for vintage pages. You can check them out in the SuperStore here. The Basic Grey Ambrosia collection also lends itself to vintage layouts.

Also, you can do a gallery search by theme and choose heirloom.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to IzzyB

Ask commaholly. She does great vintage stuff.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to johnsusan8

Tante, that was one of the sweetest compliments I have ever had! Thankyou

Graphic 45 DOES make some beautiful vintage papers, but they are very pricy,,,and difficult to find,,,you can get them here in the superstore, of course, by the piece, but if you're looking for something a bit more affordable and easy to locate, K and Co makes some beautiful vintage papers you can by by the pad,,,,

I love Tim Holtz distress inks, especially vintage photo, to age my papers even further with,,,

they tell me antique linen is great too if you want to go a bit lighter,,,

lace and doilies add vintage touch, and can be bought for next to nothing on sale at M's. I actually buy doilies at the dollar store,,, You can also download free vintage images off line and print them if you have a decent printer,,,,just google "free vintage ads and images",,,you'll find all kinds of stuff, and you can distress and age those with inks too,,,

old fashioned keys can be found on the cheap in the jewelry department of M's and J's,,Tim Holtz makes word keys as well,,,vintage looking buttons can be bought in the button departments of J's and M's and if you're lucky and look around, you can actually buy TUBS of them for 5-10 bucks,,

I'd check out galleries and if there's something you really like by a particular artist, then PM them,,,,they'd be MORE than happy to tell you how they accomplished a particular look!!!

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71
In response to joogz

Some more techniques you can use to get that vintage feel is to distress your papers and photos. I just love my Edge Scraper from MM! But you can also use an ordinary cheap nail file to get a great look on your photos. Just scrape the edges and don't be afraid to be a bit rough. If you want more "damaged" to be done get a needle or something elese that's sharp and start scratching away!

I use Colorbox's Fluid Chalks to get things nice and dirty. I use Creamy Brown, Chestnut Roan and Dark Brown - in that order! If you want a somewhat burned look you can use Charcoal just on the edges of the paper/photo.

And - as mentioned before - chack out the gallery for som inspiratin and if you want to now what techniques have been used - pm people!

GOOD LUCK!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Marie_71

I've actually (shock) stood over my sink with a lighter and BURNED the edges of things,,,,,

I'd recommend standing over a full sink of water though,,,

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71
In response to CommaHolly

I've done that too... Before I discovered the Fluid Chalks. Much easier and not so hazardous - neither to your pages or your house!!

sgoetter
Queen
sgoetter
In response to Marie_71

I've done a lot of heritage/vintage type layout, and I use a lot of tearing and inking. I make a lot of the embellies, but you can also use old buttons and lace. If you'd like to see some of my heritage, check out my heritage album in my gallery. I don't know if this link will work or not, but maybe.
http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

I have some truly OLD pics of my grandparents (made in the 1800s) so I've been working on them for a while.

My gallery might not help, but maybe you can see a technique you'd like to try. If you have any question, I'm happy to answer them for you.

Susan

Stacy Cohen
Resident
Stacy Cohen
In response to sgoetter

I love vintage too! I agree with lots of the suggestions -- G45 papers, vintage lace and buttons, distressing, etc. I love to scour estate sales and flea markets for vintage goodies to add to my pages. You can also add pieces of old book pages, music sheets and ephemera. There are actually lots of free vintage images on the web that you can download (you just want to make sure that they are copyright free).

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Stacy Cohen

DCWV Old World stack papers, ancestry.com designer papers by K and Co, and DCWV luxery stack are all good for vintage pages.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to rockmom

If you go to the main Gallery (at the top of the page), then Layouts, Styles, then you can look at Vintage or Heritage LO's.

I have a lot of stuff from K & Co.
Products Referenced in This Post:

LEIALOHA
Veteran
LEIALOHA
In response to Love 2 Learn

wow great ideas I have some black and whites.. Iwill be shopping for supplies soon

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71
In response to LEIALOHA

Basic Grey has a lot of papers that are really cool for vintage stuff! Especially early Basic Grey but they might be hard to come by! I just LOVE the Black Tie collection and some from the Motifica collection might work. Their Designer Cardstock packs are awesome too! And don't forget Webster's Pages!
Products Referenced in This Post:

LEIALOHA
Veteran
LEIALOHA
In response to Marie_71

Love the Webster pages

joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 08-24-09 08:12 AM
In response to LEIALOHA

Thanks ladies for all the wonderful advice! Now...I just have to get my copies of my photos and then find a place to start with all the great ideas! Truly ladies, thanks again! Hugs and you all have a great day!

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71
In response to joogz

No probs! And please remember to show off your amazing creations in the gallery!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics