Username Post: adhesive!        (Topic#1514285)
m13shl 
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone, What adhesives would you recommend to get started with

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 08-31-09 06:57 AM
In response to m13shl

I like the tombow mono adhesive below.

joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 08-31-09 08:39 AM
In response to CASBa

I like using the Dotto tape runner. If you mess up you can easliy reposition your paper or photo, and if there is glue show through you can just rub it away! Hope that helps

Tenant
In response to joogz

I love the tape runners, any brand. I find them so much easier to work with than liquid adhesives for larger items. I still use a liquid pen for small things.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-31-09 10:58 AM
In response to rlowry03

I think you'll find that 10 different scrapbookers will give you a dozen different answers

I myself am fond of photo splits, 3M Photo Mount, my xyron 250, Zig 2-way glue pen, and sometimes I use a repositionable (temporary) adhesive, I think from Tombow.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
I think you'll find that 10 different scrapbookers will give you a dozen different answers

I myself am fond of photo splits, 3M Photo Mount, my xyron 250, Zig 2-way glue pen, and sometimes I use a repositionable (temporary) adhesive, I think from Tombow.

This is very true!

And, it seems to change.
I liked my Hermafix runner (now dotto runner), and now it's ridiculously frustrating. I've heard others comment that some brands change and old favorites are no longer favorites.

Although, I think most will agree - DO NOT USE GLUE STICKS! They WILL lose their stickiness, and your pages will fall apart. Not worth the effort!

Do a search for adhesive (and check the resources tab at the top). There is a TON of info here about adhesives.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 08-31-09 12:53 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

Although, I think most will agree - DO NOT USE GLUE STICKS! They WILL lose their stickiness, and your pages will fall apart. Not worth the effort!

This is SO true. Glue sticks really are a waste of money. They may seem like the better alternative because they are cheap but you will just end up having to redo your LOs in six months to a year.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to CASBa

If you get addicted to this hobby then eventually i would suggest the ATG. You can get the gun for around 40 but the refills are around 3.50 for 36 yards. In the long run it is cheaper and it holds extremly well. Don't get the knock off from tape depot alot of people are not happy with the tape,it seems to be very spotty in terms of quality whereas the 3M tape is great and the "gold" brand tape is still pretty cheap (3.50 a roll) and it goes a very long way. The gun looks big but is very light and holds almost everything.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to CorrieW

well, I like the Elmers Photo Sticks..
have had no problems with layouts falling apart, I started scrappin about 5 years ago.

I do not like the Uhu or Fiskars sticks. Total waste to me, can see it while working with them.

Actually, used Tombow permanent tape runner for dd's wedding invitations..thinking it would be better than glue sticks. and I've seen the invitation falling apart at a friend's house. So, I'm not a fan of Tombow tape runners.

so, for me, Elmers Photo Sticks...mini glue dots for embellishing and vellum glue dots for all vellum/transparancies.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to mjmone

I swear by the cheap Adtech glue runner from Walmart. And mini glue dots for anything heavy or lumpy.
Products Referenced in This Post:

m13shl 
New Kid On the Block
In response to scraprabbit

Thanks everyone for being soooooooooo helpfull!

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to m13shl

I swear by the Tombow Mono tape runner... you just have to make sure to use enough, especially on heavy cardstock. I've also used the Adtech runner from Walmart, but it seems like it doesn't go as far as the Tombow.

Lots and lots of scrappers hear love their ATG; I may be looking at that one next!

CGMoon
CGMoon 
Diva
CGMoon
In response to tmmvol

I love using 3L Scrapbook Adhesives you can find those at HL. I also recommend using glue dots for flowers, buttons, and chipboard. Some of my other fav's are Judikins Diamond Glaze and Glossy Accents.

Edited by CGMoon on 09-02-09 11:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to CGMoon

I would recommend all the Xyron adhesive machine and also Glue Dots. I would stay away from glue sticks, some have a tendency of not holding over a few years.

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to dotfree

i have a glue stick that came with a scrapbooking kit, i hate it. forget a year from now, it doesn't stick right at time of application.

i think it depends on what you're using them for, i like my tape runner for large pieces of paper (mine is adtech), but i have mounting squares (i get these at the dollar store, 250 squares/box for a buck! they work great) that i like to use with photos. i really want to get a liquid pen for small embellishments, as of now i've been cutting mounting squares in half or smaller but sometimes it doesn't quite do the trick. i have 3d mounting squares (3m)that i love also, i usually just use them to raise up a paper design to give it depth (like waves etc)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to sandra03

ATG is my first love,,,,,,,but for a beginner, it's pricy and probably not your first purchase with all that you have to buy,,,,,

I love love LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Zip Dry Glue,,,,,

dries FAST and does NOT wrinkle paper,,,,awesome stuff!!!!!!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

I lOvE my KiDs
Resident
I lOvE my KiDs
In response to CommaHolly

I have used glue sticks, and have had no problems...my pages have stayed together for over a year now.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics