Username Post: new scrapper doing tropical wedding book!        (Topic#1514431)
sandra03
Resident
sandra03

hi folks, i'm new here and new to scrapbooking. i got married on Maui in 2007 and am just finally getting around to my book. i've been planning it since before the wedding lol. i've had a bin full of stuff sitting around for the last 2 years, it took a while to collect all the stuff i needed to get started, but i'm all set now. i have a bunch of pages done but i'm finding it hard to come up with interesting layouts. i find i use the same basic layouts over and over lol. i have tons of goodies that i don't think i'm taking full advantage of.
the wedding was very casual, barefoot on the beach with a few of our closest family members and friends, but we had a blast sightseeing and goofing around on Maui. so the book is very casual and more tropical and beach themed than wedding themed. i will obviously have ceremony pages but most of it is the sights and activities we took in during our stay. it's all very bright and colourful and fun.
one of my big challenges is coming up with different ways of doing journalling and lettering. i have a limited amount of letter stickers and rubons, some diecuts that don't really fit my theme, some stencils that i don't really like, and one set of stamps that are sort of an asian style font. i don't have any punches or a decent craft knife (not that i have a steady enough hand to cut stuff out that way anyway lol). money is tight right now and i've already spent way too much on this thing, so i'd like to try to make do with what i have for now.
i will post some pics as soon as i take some and hopefully you guys can give me some tips for future pages.
luckily my girlfriend was up for a visit earlier this year and helped me out with a few pages, she's much more creative than i am lol. she came up with some great LO ideas.
i think i'm too impatient. i sit there staring at a blank page and then get too impatient and just dive in just to get it done. but in the end i'm usually disappointed with what i come up with. ah well.
i am getting lots of ideas from the gallery though and bookmarking lots to refer back to when i work on my book and need inspiration. i'm off tomorrow and have the house to myself for once so i plan on working on my book and not much else lol. laundry be damned.. priorities people!
any advice/encouragement is greatly appreciated but i mostly just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 09-01-09 07:15 AM
In response to sandra03

Welcome to sb.com and scrapbooking.

You could always print titles and journaling out on different fonts on cardstok. Then just cut out blocks around them with your paper trimmer and glue the entire piece onto the layout.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to CASBa

hi! this sounds like a fun book.
looking forward to seeing pics.

jagfan
jagfan 
Veteran
jagfan
In response to mjmone

Hi! Welcome to the site. I have been on for a while, but I don't always have the time I need to sit down and work on something. I have had to do two themed albums. One was for my sister's 25th wedding anniversary party. It was all Halloween themed. The one I am currently working on is for my daughter's drama teacher. She started teaching my daughter's freshman year, so we thought it would be cool to do a book for all four years. My point is, a theme sounds cool, but it is difficult to pull off page after page.

I have learned a lot on this site. Also, check out the videos and stuff. You might be able to do a few extra neat stuff with little money.

Good luck! Don't give up!!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-01-09 07:00 PM
In response to jagfan

Welcome to this site. Lots of helpful folks here.

For journaling, you don't need anything fancy. Just a pen. I think handwritten journaling is best, a personal bias of mine, even if you don't have a great handwriting. It's still unique to you and adds a personal touch to your pages. You can write in blocks, on tags, on strips or hide your journaling.

Just invest in a nice pen. The favorite basics are a black Zig (against light backgrounds) and white Signo against a dark background.

For titles, the cheapest way is to buy a couple sets of clear stamps (use a coupon!) and a couple pads of ink (maybe black ink and brown ink).

I only have one wedding page posted in my gallery. On it, I stamped the title on a heart in the middle of the page, then stamped old new borrowed blue on individual tags. Then handwrote the story (hidden journaling) on each corresponding tag. It was a very inexpensive page to do, but still turned out nice (I think!, lol). I used small alpha stamps by Heros Art from Michael's.

Something Old New Borrowed Blue
By IzzyB

Good luck with your album.

~ Izzy
Products Referenced in This Post:
Zig Writer - Black (Discontinued)

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to IzzyB

thanks for all the tips.

i do need to get some good pens. right now i'm borrowing my husband's coloured gel pens that he uses to keep his school notes organized (he decided to go back to uni to become a teacher, hence why money is tight lol, he starts year 2 next week.)but i'm not even 100% sure that they are acid free so i want to find something else. it's my birthday tomorrow though so i've been holding off buying anything until afterwards in case i get some gift cards or cash gifts. lots of stuff i actually need right now but if there's a walmart gift card in my future i will definately use at least part of it on scrapping stuff lol. luckily my local walmart has a decent selection dollar store also has lots of stuff in the craft section but not what i need.. pens and punches. we'll see

i like the hidden journalling method, i might make use of that on a couple pages. and i noticed some cute designs in the gallery, i like the one i saw with strips of coloured paper arranged horizontally down one side of the page and written on just as is. so simple but quite stylish. i also like the idea of just writing around the 4 sides of a photo, i borrowed that idea from a lo i saw here earlier today
i have decided that i am not a fan of the actual journalling tags, at least not the ones that i have.
i do have scissors with interchangable blades of all different edges, i should make better use of those!

i will post pics sooner or later. i did about 5 or so pages over the last 2 days, i would love some feedback

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 09-02-09 11:16 AM
In response to sandra03

By the way Happy Birthday Sandra.

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to CASBa

thanks
i did splurge a bit and get myself a little birthday present today, a Zig Millennium collection pen (black) and a set of lower case letter clear stamps, acrylic block and black ink (i don't trust the ink i already had). i wasn't going to get anything but they were all cheaper than i expected so what the hay.

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to sandra03

photos are now up in my gallery. any suggestions you guys have are welcome a couple of them have room for more stuff but i blanked so i just moved on to other pages. i only have one actual wedding page done so far (actually my girlfriend did it for me when she was visiting, she contributed quite a bit to the first few pages that i did. gave me lots of ideas )

married05
Idol
married05
In response to sandra03

Don't feel bad, I'm still working on my wedding album and we were married in 2005! (On the beach in Hawaii also - Oahu) I've done a few pages here and there, but I think I'm putting too much pressure on myself for it to be perfect. (That and I just never seem to be able to find any time to scrapbook at all!)

Looks like you're off to a great start and have the supplies you need. Have fun! (I'll try to take my own advice too!)

regnellie
New Kid On the Block
regnellie
In response to married05

Hi all, I just signed up to scrapbooking, i hope to learn from all of you out there. Looking forward to doing my first card.

Loribee#1
Guru
Loribee#1
In response to regnellie

Maui is so pretty and has a great scrapbook store. They may have some beach themed ideas or pages in their gallery. I think it is called island paperie...

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to Loribee#1

i found their site but there isn't a gallery that i can find

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to sandra03

Hi Sandra- Welcome. My sister got married in Belize in 2007 and I did a full book of DH and my adventures. It was a FANTASTIC trip and the whole book is just us and the trip with a few pages of the wedding. I did all my journaling while I was there on my computer and printed it out by day/page when I got home. I matted each journaling thing on black CS so it was a theme throughout the book. I did titles using paint chips (don't do it- they'll bleach the back paper) and CS with my sizzix machine (I have TONS of fonts so it wasn't a big deal) but you can do the titles on the computer and cut them out- print on colored CS and mirror the words so you can cut them out from the back. Can't wait to see what you do! There are LOTS of ways to arrange stuff on pages. I have a whole page for currency ($1 Belize = $2 US) and have change and bills on the page. It's pretty neat. Have fun with whatever you decide to do!

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to Seaexplore

thanks Tiffany
you can see some of my lo's in my gallery now actually.
there's no one thing to carry a theme through the book but i am trying to stick with beach and/or tropical colour schemes but depends on the page

Veteran
In response to sandra03

look in Ebay for premade sb pages - I get lots of ideas from these - also check your LSS - they have themes esp. weddings

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to drpayne

ah i never thought of that. i wouldn't ever buy a premade page so i haven't looked any up but i hadn't thought that i could get some ideas from them. we don't have much in the way of a lss here, best we have is the craft section of walmart and a photo place that has a scrapbooking room, they do some classes there but their selection of stuff is kinda slim and you never know if they'll have something in stock next time you need it

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics